• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Paul Harvey: Time For The End Of The Story?

IglooDude said:
You haven't heard of Paul Harvey either? :confused: Did your parents not listen to the radio while you were growing up?
Well having not heard of him (not in USA) i'm guessing that he wasnt on every single radio station all the time, so not all people like to listen to old epople rambling on the radio, so wouldnt hear him.

IglooDude said:
One word that most specifically does not come to mind when I think of Paul Harvey (again, the Paul Harvey of 20 years ago) is angry. He is (was?) kind of a commentary-version of Garrison Keillor.(

exactly how i would have discribed him. I'm pretty surprised to hear this...it doesnt sound like the Paul Harvey ive heard at all

MattBrown said:
exactly how i would have discribed him. I'm pretty surprised to hear this...it doesnt sound like the Paul Harvey ive heard at all
When I listened to him on a semi-regular basis (and it's been quite a while) he might have been described as a "populist" - not in the political sense, but he was an "of the people" commentator and tended to push what was good about the US. During the '80's he became more blatantly conservative in his monologues and has pretty much turned into a cranky old conservative. He still does the "good about America" stuff, but keeps a much sharper edge much of the time.

In the mid-80's when the FCC still cared about this kind of stuff, they made his affiliates quit labelling his program as news and start calling it an editorial, so much had the content changed over the years.

I didnt listen in all that much, and prehaps what i heard was "vintage" paul harvey...but i dont really remember much cranky conservativeness at all. Prehaps I was too young to know the difference. I remember he was the only guy on the radio to go "page 2...page 3.." :)

Having heard the other things Paul Harvey has said of late, I don't doubt he was seriously lamenting that we wouldn't use nukes. He's just a bitter old man trying to reclaim the America of 1950. He needs to give up and go home.

Saying we should use nukes now like we used bioligical warfare against Native Americans hundreds of years ago, to me, sounds like the use of small pox was justified. It never was and using nukes in the current situation never would be.

I've listened to Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" on and off for about 15 years now. Good stuff for a history buff. :goodjob:

As far as the above article...yeah, he's 86 and prone to flashbacks of American Might and a black and white view of the world (remember, he hails from the age of the Cold War)...but he's basically just saying today's Americans are a bunch of wimps. And in a way, he's right, because if you look at America's response to Pearl Harbor, and then look at the response to 09/11, it is night and day.

Of course, he fails to mention that it was his generation's treatment of Arabs from 1940 on that got us into this little War on Terror to begin with.

edit: spelling

Double Barrel said:
I've listened to Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" on and off for about 15 years now. Good stuff for a history buff. :goodjob:

As far as the above article...yeah, he's 86 and prone to flashbacks of American Might and a black and white view of the world (remember, he hails from the age of the Cold War)...but he's basically just saying today's Americans are a bunch of wimps. And in a way, he's right, because if you look at America's response to Pearl Harbor, and then look at the response to 09/11, it is night and day.

Of course, he fails to mention that it was his generation's treatment of Arabs from 1940 on that got us into this little War on Terror to begin with.

edit: spelling
hmm... we DID go to war in Afghanistan. Night and Day... pffft.

I would hardly care for the opinions of any political pundit anyway.

(of any flavour)

They are all full to the brim with crap.

:)

Top Bottom