1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PAX Prime Panel Video is up

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Sep 14, 2015.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Actually, they did promote it on twitter. That is where I first found out that the video was out:

2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

3. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

The XCOM guys look like rock stars next to the BE team.

They also sound more natural compared to Miller and McDonough, who kind of just parrot the same lines.

And they have a book.

4. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Especially that guy in the middle completely stole the show. Very outgoing and charismatic personality, with just the right amount of sarcasm to be enjoyable.

As far as actual information goes for BE.. nothing new really.

5. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I think the first mistake was putting them side-by-side on the same panel. The BE team looks a bit more nervous and green and their footage less bombastic than what XCOM team is showing off. So you have all this action footage from an alien invasion game next to a turn-based 4X with no especially intricate storyline and the pacing of switching back and forth between them is just weird.

The second mistake was releasing this video so late, and after all the IGN and GT interviews where all this information and more have already been covered.

6. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

The one you labeled as "SPOILER" :eek:

What's that, preciousss, what's that, eh? /smeagolmodeoff

7. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Thats just a silly picture from a short promotion video they made of a xcom soldier playing CivBe

8. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

... Isn't that Bradford?

9. GenEngineer

GenEngineer Prince

How the mighty strike force has fallen... whatever happened to the days of "At least they're not playing video games"? Besides, you know, aliens taking over the planet.

:crazyeye:

10. Gritf

Gritf Chieftain

We know that Exalt HQ is not a a country from Civilization.

Bradford just likes to get your soldiers killed and to waste precious resources.

11. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Looks like the Rookie training program from the first war.

No wonder they were so accurate.

12. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, Jake Solomon really has a lot more natural charisma than anybody else on that panel - that was evident when he presented the first Firaxis XCOM as well. Jake has the right mix of self-deprecation, humour, charisma and serious game design chops that I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the heir to Sid if he stays at Firaxis long enough.

Miller and McDonough are not only green, but sound like a PR manager got hold of them, telling them what to say and don't have the public speaking talent and/or experience to work it naturally into what they are saying. Bit of a shame, good presenting doesn't make you a good designer, but it doesn't hurt.

I actually kind of think now, CivBE could really have done with a prequel novel, too. SMAC had novels as well. If CivBE had a little novella about the Old Earth, I think that would've come through in the game as well.

13. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Couldn't have hurt.

But yeah Solomon is definitely just saying whatever comes to mind while being completely self-aware, and it really comes through. That bit about frogs was funny. And I think that's what developers should have, which is it to say they should be able to look at back and make fun of themselves and laugh at themselves and not be all serious all the time.

It'll come through in the game you're making and whether or not Solomon is a 4x guy, I'm finding myself wondering more and more how BE might've been different under his charge.

Meanwhile M&M, who I'm sure are decent guys doing their best, do seem like they weren't comfortable with the spotlight and so had a PR guy assigned that basically just told them what to say.

That's why everything feels scripted and phrased so... "diplomatically"? It's never "we did this and it was a mistake" or "we really didn't like this and that's why it's getting scrapped" - it's always "we did this and it's great and the fans loved it, but we could sense they wanted us to go further."

It just doesn't have the same reassuring, humble spin + self-awareness that I'm sure Solomon could've pulled off to make players feel like the problems and shortcomings were being competently addressed.

14. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Both PAX Prime Panel Video threads merged.

Moderator Action: Reopened.

15. FXS_MisterKevin

FXS_MisterKevin Chieftain

16. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

I already knew of his magic and magical games, but I've never seen that video! Haha... thanks for sharing it.

17. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I wish the guys at my local game store had half that much zeal.