PCIX: Saladin

To 1000AD Prince/Epic
Spoiler :
Tech Path – Monarchy – Construction – Paper – Civil Service – Feudalism – Metal Casting – Machinery
25AD – Monarchy Finished, Revolt to HR+OR, Begin work on Construction.
100AD – Captured Avar, kept.
145AD – Captured Pharsalos, burned. Revolt to Theocracy
235AD – Construction Completed, begin work on Paper
265AD – Captured Sparta, burned. Made peace with Pericles, Kufah founded.
385AD – Andrei Sakharov (GS) born in Medina, Academy in Mecca
415AD – Venerable Bede’s Largest empires
520AD – Paper completed, begin work on CS
610AD – Basra founded
670AD – Jute Captured, kept
790AD – CS completed, revolt to buro
930AD – Feudalism completed, begin work on MC, Great Library completed in Mecca.
990AD – MC completed, begin work on Machinery.
1000AD – Hatshepsut agrees to be AC’s voluntary Vassal. Saved.

-Following the completion of the Greek war, I put my empire into infrastructure mode, building madrassas and markets and courthouses.
-I am really behind on my workers, but I am currently pumping out some in different cities.
-Damascus is busy building catapults for future wars against Greece/Egypt.
-Once I completed paper, I got Egypt’s map, showing the rest of the continent.
-The Great Library was built very late in this game (930AD) I had figured that by the time I got Literature from Egypt, she would have already been at work on it, but once it occurred to me she wasn’t I began building it in Mecca.
-Right at the end of the round Hatty becomes AC’s voluntary vassal. I guess I won’t be kicking her around any time soon.
-At the end of the round I currently have 10 cities, and 11 workers.
-I'm thinking of finishing off Pericles (should i vassal him with his tundra cities, or just completely wipe him out?) Then maybe go after AC and Hatty, or see whats going on across the ocean.

Screenshots:

Captured Avar^

Captured Pharsalos^

Captured Sparta^

Founded Kufah^

Venerable Bede's largest empires^

Basra Founded^

Jute Captured^

Great Library Constructed^

Trades^

North Continent at 1000AD

South Continent at 1000AD

Tech Situation at 1000AD

I'm still hanging in there!

1685ad - Emporer/Epic

Spoiler :
The turn before Ragnar DoW'd I had switched civics meaning I had to wait 4 turns before I could switch to slavery. Ragnar easily takes a second city... :(

Once in slavery I managed to whip up a small force and rescued both cities, but I did whip most cities pretty hard.

Ragnar has been expelled from my continent but is still at refuses to talk right now and still has a huge power advantage. I can only assume he has more troops on route to have another go! Due to whipping my tech rate has died. I managed to get Electricity in before my economy crumbled...

The tech situation...

I can probably trade electricity for rifling & steel plus other techs & some cash which will help sort out a bit of defense and get my tech rate up temporarily but I think this game may be to far gone, my whipping was quite damaging. I wasn't teching that well before the war... now it's hit rock bottom, Radio is going to take 31 turns!

Prince/Normal, 2 games, both defeated :(
Spoiler :

Game 1: Gave up at 1500 AD due to having tech'ed the last 1000 years at 0% and fighting two wars.

Part of the problem with game one was my city build order, the second was production and third commerce, and a bad commerce site at that. Also, when I took out Pericles I kept his capital. On review it appears the distance maintenance of this city was a large part of my cashflow problem.

Game 2: Gave up at 2004 given it was a lost cause. China had just DOW for the second time, now he has a stronger military (armour) than I and I'm losing the space race to Ragnar.

Using the attached save you can retire and replay the events. I first took out Pericles (which went very well and I didn't keep any of his cities as in the first game), then on to Hatty (which went equally well). Unfortunately Casear went for a massive land grab while I was warring Hatty and effectively sliced my land in two. Some time later he DOW'd and lost badly, but just before I defeated him Cyrus DOW'd. I beat him down but before doing so China DOW'd. I held them off for several centuries until both opted for peace (I wasn't prepared to beg and give them each a city to end it sooner.)

Then Ragnar DOW'd, but didn't last as I'd started producing SAM Infantry which kept his choppers at bay. After getting him to sign a peace treaty for 250 gold China came back and DOW'd again with tanks, I don't have the military might to hold of this second advance.

The second game went a lot better than the first, tech and commerce wise. I had the money to be teching at 60% for the whole game which was a vast improvement over the first attempt. Unfortunately perpetual warring hampered much of my city growth.

Maybe I was too agressive and should have bided my time a little more I don't know :confused:

Attachments

• PC XIV Saladin AD-2004.CivBeyondSwordSave
    438.8 KB · Views: 44
@ GrayInvisible - Looks like you had about as much luck as me. My GF won't let me reload, she says it's cheating too :)

@ GrayInvisible - Looks like you had about as much luck as me. My GF won't let me reload, she says it's cheating too :)

I think it's a pretty tough game for starting out on Prince. You have Rome in the south with a good amount of land, you have Hatty who usually becomes a vassal, and you're Arabia. I've been honing my skills on Prince waiting for the next game so hopefully I'll be better. I haven't been playing this map, as I realized that knowing the terrain is a big handicap. I'm more big on quitting than reloading luckily.

Agghh! :mad: things are just getting worse!

1746ad - Emporer/Epic

Spoiler :
Still at war with ragnar, then Cyrus joins in the fight and dumps a load of rifles, cavs and trebs on my lands. After much whipping, losing and retaking of cities I finally manage to get him off my island and sign for peace with both Rags and Cyrus. But my empire is whipped and pillaged. To make things worse I have slipped behind in tech, I have a monopoly on Radio but my so called freindly neighbours won't trade anything decent with me. :mad:

I'm chalking this one down to experience, could play it through to the end but I don't really have a chance of winning here.

Hi

Prince, Marathon, 1842 AD, late culture win :)

Spoiler :
Game was pretty peaceful for most part. I just minded my own business and settled out my island. The other civs left me alone pretty much the whole game. Even my arch nemisis Rags didnt cause too much trbl he just went into wheooh mode after bit but then stayed quiet after that.

Mostly cuz I didnt feel like building transports I just decided to try for culture. It went a bit latish cuz I didnt really turn the culture slider up until after I teched out ecology so I could get recycling centers to make sure all my cities were pretty :)

But I eventually start closing in getting my 3 cities to legendary. I even have a chance for quick diplo win. I had build UN and diplo vote came up. It was between me and Mao and I had Cy up to friendly so I pretty sure I could have gotten his vote but by then cultural vixtory was REAL close so I decided to just stay focused on that. (See! I CAN stay focused sometimes hehe :p)

But I SWEAR it HAS to be in the game code. SOMETHING in Rag's AI just makes him HATE me and ALWAYS wants to pick on me :(.

For SOME reason he decides now when I am like round 20 turns away from culture victory to DoW me. Not that it much of a DoW he sends 3 galleons worth of gren and cavalry and rifles to go suicide on a city defended with mech infantry.

And am I like Dude this game is over I COULD have won last turn if I wanted to go diplo sheesh could you just stay quiet and be happy for me??. But NOOO he HAS to be a dillhole. And he is JUST doing it to be a dillhole. Game is over. he is like 25 turns from combustion and the lowest of my 3 cities is 19 turns from legendary. He cant even pillage my seafood. Plus I have a def pact with cy so now he is at war with cy. Plus he is on a cont with Mao who such a cheap date even Cathy thinks he's a s-l-you know what. So for 3k gold and some clearacil for that gaint zit on his chin Mao is now attacking rags too. So I just sink his ships send a few destroyers and battleships around his coast to pillage his seafood and to bringdown his coastal city defences just in case cy or mao wants to take em.

Other than that its just hitting shift return. ANother chance for diplo win comes when my last city 3 turns away from legendary so I skip it again and stay focused and soon enuff:

I get the victory Yay!! :D

Post modem looks like this:

The graphs:

and demos:

I managed to recover my economy and get pretty decent leads in most of the categories by end of game.

final top 5 cities:

Managed a clean sweep and ALMOST managed to get EVERY shiny in the game hehe. All but space elevator. I TRIED but game ended b4 I could finish it.

All of which added up to:

Not that bad a score for a very late cultrue win I think.

My empire the north:

and south:

Nice big happy healthy cities and the land all pretty :)

Close ups of my 3 cuture cities:

Mecca my Cap and Science city.

Thebes my hammer city

ANd Yahoo my thrid city. Kinda just ended up being that way by accident. Mostly cuz if built shinies I didnt really need in this city. Even tho I didnt need em I wanted em cuz they are shines and of couse I SHOULD have ALL the shines tyvm hehe. So it was like "the other cities are busy Ill just put it here" and it got enuff of em that it ended up being the third highest in cutlure and then when I decided to go for a cutlutre I started building shinies there to give it a boost to get to legendary quicker.

Other cities of note:

Medina my money city and:

I even made a Nat Park city just for the heck of it since as USUAL for me it didnt actauly do ANYTHING. Not ONE single gp :/

Well I guess thats it. A nice queit game for most part (outside of Rags being a dillhole at the end JUST to be a dillhole and now you see PERFECT example why I had him number 1 on my list of MOST annoying leaders in the game. For SOME reason he just hates me :/.) So thanks Monger and everybody :)
Kaytie

Top Bottom