performance metrics

Alashiya

Warlord
as Ive said elsewhere I'm trying to raise my game

in your opinion what are the important metrics to monitor/measure over the first 100 turns?
  • Military strength
  • Science per turn
  • Culture per turn
  • Faith
  • Gold
  • Horses
  • Iron
  • Diplomatic favour
  • number of cities
is there anything missing or unnecessary in that list?

It is not that simple with a raised game.
The fundamental rule if any is how many cities IMO.
So for example
A Dom deoes depend on a few things but even 1 -2 cities initially and take the rest will work and it depends on a few things just how fast that is.
An RV should be aimed for around T90 with maybe 3-5 cities
a CV should be aimed for aroung T120 with maybe 5-8 cities
An SV should be aimed for about T150 with maybe 12- shed loads of cities.
A dip vistory is based on different criteria than specified here, take quite a few cities early if you can but ideally not capitals.
A Points victory is as many cities as you can

The targets above are the lower end, the aim you should rarely get to, even if good and the idea is you know what you are going for within the first few 10 turns or so.
Of the above regardless number of cities = more of everything else so thats where you should stick your effort initiall, via building or conquest.
There was a general rule on these forums with VI first came out that a target of 10 cities at T100 is a good one.

It is not that simple with a raised game.
The fundamental rule if any is how many cities IMO.
So for example
A Dom deoes depend on a few things but even 1 -2 cities initially and take the rest will work and it depends on a few things just how fast that is.
An RV should be aimed for around T90 with maybe 3-5 cities
a CV should be aimed for aroung T120 with maybe 5-8 cities
An SV should be aimed for about T150 with maybe 12- shed loads of cities.
A dip vistory is based on different criteria than specified here, take quite a few cities early if you can but ideally not capitals.
A Points victory is as many cities as you can

The targets above are the lower end, the aim you should rarely get to, even if good and the idea is you know what you are going for within the first few 10 turns or so.
Of the above regardless number of cities = more of everything else so thats where you should stick your effort initiall, via building or conquest.
There was a general rule on these forums with VI first came out that a target of 10 cities at T100 is a good one.
Thank you I'm trying to identify my weak points (theres quite a few 😭 and then eliminate them and become a much better player no of cities by turn 100 would be far easier to measure :)

no of cities by turn 100 would be far easier to measure
Indeed.
So get that population to 2 ASAP and then grow that settler. Even if then taking cities, having a second city just works all around.
Growth is very key until you have a pop of about 4, it is very good science and culture early without going crazy, also working the right tiles to grow then swapping to produce settler(s) can be good but getting to the cheper settler bonuses really help... or to the cheaper troop builds.
Of course start with animal husbandy and a builder and finding a horse means you do not have to settle many cities if that way inclined.
But there is so much to consider, so many ways to start... it is just annoying when you get rubbish ground to start on.

Of course start with animal husbandy and a builder and finding a horse means you do not have to settle many cities if that way inclined
Most of the points here are good, but I hope you're not advocating to always open animal husbandry and a builder as if that is how one is "supposed" to play, because that's just one of many possible openers (mant of which depend on circumstance).

I would take a step back, based on my experience with other franchise games and Civ6 specifically.

Often, when I start a game with a particular leader, I have a victory condition in mind. A strong science leader, or a leader with bonuses for faith, or a leader with bonuses for culture will lead me to look for certain features on the map and pursue certain techs and culture items early. My main advice is: look at the map. What it actually has -- strategic resources, city states, neighboring AI -- as distinct from what you *hoped* it would have. Where are potential sources of faith for your pantheon? Where is the coastline? How much fertile land is available for you to settle? Where are the mountain ranges that you will need to work around until you can build tunnels?

As @Victoria noted, one might have different target rates of expansion (number of cities) based on the victory you want to pursue. You may find that you need to change your plans, if you've spawned too close to a neighbor to grow peacefully; growing settlers quickly will also depend on how much food your cities can grow. As @Oberinspektor Derrick noted, you will choose your initial techs and builds based on what you see nearby. Animal husbandry can wait, if you don't have pasture options nearby.

I try to aim for one city every 10 turns up to t100 so 2 at t20, 3 at t30 etc - often don't make it but good to have a target. Everything else is very map dependent (as are cities but you have some control over that).

There's no one performance metric you should focus on. What you should do is to formulate a game plan based on your civ's strengths, and target metrics that are appropriate for your situation. I'll share some examples.

If you're planning to win a culture victory as Russia, your strategy may involve generating significant tourism from early on in the game by hoarding great works. You can generate relevant GPPs through Lavra and theatre square buildings and place the works in the latter. Fast expansion is crucial to this strategy because the number of such districts you can build is limited by the number of cities you have. Russia also has the problem that its cities don't tend to grow quickly, so in many instances, you'll have to choose between the two districts, making quick expansion that much more important for Russia. So, what would be a good performance metric for Russia? It changes throughout the game. At the beginning, you want to make sure your first 2-3 cities are capable of churning out settlers as quickly as possible. What do you need for that? Faith and production. Your first cities should be in tundra and prioritize building Lavras and shrine. Afterwards, as you start to recruit great writers, you'll want to make sure you have the slots for them, so the number of great work slots could be an important metric.

Byzantium led by Basil, in my opinion, is the most straightforward domination civ, but not because it follows the generic "10 cities by 100 turns" advice or anything of that sort. Early-game Basil only cares about culture. You don't need much science because Tagmata are unlocked by a civic. You don't need gold because Hippodromes give you free units. You don't strictly need a great general (although it's nice to have one) because you get significant combat bonus from religion. You don't even need faith to spread your religion to take advantage of the Crusade belief and Taxis. You could try to maximize culture per turn by settling cities because that allows you to build more culture-yielding infrastructure like monuments or possibly shrines if you have the Choral Music belief. Or you could try to spread your religion quickly and leverage the World Church belief. One way to do this is to get a couple horsemen early and pick on a neighbouring civ or city state and focus on killing units. You could also try to pillage for culture and faith. Use the extra faith to get a quick apostle to grab the Crusade belief to make your horsemen near invincible. If you're going down this route, you may find it useful to try to get an early general. Thinking about how many cities you should have by what turn doesn't really help you succeed with Basil. In fact, it should be possible for you to generate enough culture operating with 3-4 cities, unlock Tagmata reasonably quickly (~90 turns?) and get to a stage where you can wipe out an entire civ in fewer than 10 turns.

Korea's Sejong is unique in that he wants to track the metric of maximum science per turn per culture per turn (or just the ratio between science and culture per turn). This civ's strength is largely determined by how many turns you can pull forward key civics, and that's based on the science/culture ratio. Pre-Feudalism, you want to have a small number of cities (3, maybe 4), prioritize Seowons and libraries, while not neglecting culture too much without going out of your way for extra culture. This means just utilizing the usual monument + Pingala combination. In my experience, aiming for a ratio of 3-4 works well for the Classical and Medieval eras, allowing you to pull forward 12-16 turns worth of culture in total. You really don't want to be settling too many cities early on with Sejong because you won't be able to focus on maximizing your science output and getting all the necessary inspirations before you absolutely need to clear a new era tech. That restriction is lifted once you enter the Medieval era because there will be more techs to clear, and with the Ancestral Hall-Serfdom combination, you can more efficiently settle more cities once you're in the Medieval era. This might mean you're operating with only 3 cities until around turn 80, which again, goes against the popular advice, but I think it's hard to argue you're far behind when you've cleared both Apprenticeship and Feudalism by that point of the game.

I think the best way to improve your game is to take a civ that has a straightforward early-game path and perfect a build for it. I introduced three here (although I don't recommend Sejong because he requires a ton of micromanagement), but other examples include Ethiopia, Gran Colombia and Japan's Tokugawa. Think about how to maximize these civs' strengths as quickly as you can.

Top Bottom