Petition to rename IOT or merge it with NES

What to do with NES and IOT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we disrespecting the current CFC NESing community in any way?

honestly at this point I can't be bothered to care

can't we just have the good old times: IOT's active while NES is essentially a mausoleum of long-gone games

Are we disrespecting the current CFC NESing community in any way?

Which is a fraction of the still active NESing community that meets, discusses, and creates regularly. Do you think I'm lying? I haven't seen you speak to anyone outside your IOT bubble to find out. ;)

honestly at this point I can't be bothered to care

can't we just have the good old times: IOT's active while NES is essentially a mausoleum of long-gone games

Long gone for who? We've had hiatuses in individual games last this long. Just because there is an open protest doesn't mean the hobby is yours to scavenge. Why does it always have to come to the point of IOT saying, "You're dead, so we get your stuff"? Who says and why?

Johanna is pro-Catalan independence, right? What's different about NES and IOT and Spain? Forcing one group under another doesn't make Johanna any happier there, and it won't make a lot of people happy here. Independence hurts no one at all, and we have every right to come back if the problems that forced the exile are solved. NESing is one of the largest subforums in the history of this website, five times the size of IOT. Plenty of lesser places still exist and are far less active. All I ask is for a little damn respect from IOT and the staff to not just do as they please with something that dozens of my friends and associates spent years building.

Johanna is pro-Catalan independence, right? What's different about NES and IOT and Spain? Forcing one group under another doesn't make Johanna any happier there, and it won't make a lot of people happy here. Independence hurts no one at all, and we have every right to come back if the problems that forced the exile are solved.

Because forum games are nations and as serious buisness. :rolleyes:

I find it hysterical that NESers demand respect when they have done absolutely nothing to deserve it. This is especially the case given NESers regularly - and I mean regularly - act superior to IOTers. For no reason. Really, no reason at all. The thing about respect is you have to do something to deserve it. You don't get it carte blanche just for being old. The vaunted high-ceilinged creativity of NES existed for maybe a year, tops, a year when we were genuinely productive and great. All the rest of NES in its lifetime has been the long, slow burn of N3S and the rise and fall of many games that are exactly like IOTs but for a few syntactical differences. The IOTers' even have a word to describe the kind of game that historically "distinguishes" NESes from IOT's. They call them "pre-made starts." Holy smokes! Look at that! A greater diligence for definition and rigor than NES displayed in its entire 11-year tenure!

Anyone who thinks TNESIV will sustain beyond one or two update cycles or that Azale is actually going to launch a NES in our lifetime is delusional. I wish you people could see the great things we could do if we merged our "experience" with the IOTers' "youth and enthusiasm" (jesus christ just kill me). We have so much to learn from IOTers, and they could be our saving grace. But I guess if you're bound and determined to go down with the ship, then good riddance. Let me be abundantly clear: NES is not coming back. It will never come back. If you want a community of gameplayers and creative bright-eyes, you have no further to look than IOT. It is goddamn ready-made for us. And maybe by merging the forums, when NESers come back after their (many, many) sabbaticals, they can see a bold, new forum with actual activity rather than the current wasteland that it is. Speaking as one such NESer, I was thoroughly uninspired by what I saw on the Frontier and on the local NES board. Now, imagine I was an old NESer coming back who didn't know about IOTs. I'd just leave, because I'd think NES was dead. Frankly, there's not much call to say I'd be wrong. You say it's because we've gotten old and busy? Well, what do you think the solution to that problem is? I'll give you a hint: sitting in ivory towers throwing timelines at people isn't it.

I know I should stop posting because there's no point, but I guess it's the unfailing optimist in me that believes that I can actually reach someone. It doesn't take an oracle to see that persisting in this arrogance is folly. I've never hated being right so much.

Which is a fraction of the still active NESing community that meets, discusses, and creates regularly. Do you think I'm lying? I haven't seen you speak to anyone outside your IOT bubble to find out. ;)

So it's personally relevant to you what members of a community you split off and another you have rarely displayed any positive emotions towards do do on a forum you post on about two times a month? Why?

Let's not let a single tantrum ruin the fact that we have in fact created a community of the only ACTIVE nesers (writing 4 pages about music theory on an uncompleted time line never has, and never will count as active), and does deserve a new name, to show the fact that we have a new community, a union that is greater than the sum of its parts. This union has grown NES and grown IOT, it seems wrong to just to keep calling it IOT considering the presence of the NES community here

My goodness, the level of rage in here is getting quite untenable. The forums are two clicks away and there's (as we have seen) nothing that keeps us from playing in games in other CFC forums. NESers can go to the IOT forum, and vice versa.

A lot of player-haters hating on my timeline, but what I do is always open to IOTers of any stripes. A lot of timeline ideas are developed in collaboration with IOT members, too. I don't and never will discriminate.

I'm not even *that* opposed to a forum merge, but it gets real frustrating when people start throwing mud at the first opportunity.

There is a lot that keeps us playing games in Never Ending Stories. The lack of games there, for one.

There is a lot that keeps us playing games in Never Ending Stories. The lack of games there, for one.

Well, actions speak louder than words. Whatever forum it's in, you should at least try to contribute your own content rather than tearing others down.

My question remains: what point is there contributing content to a dead forum? You could do what you're doing in a merged forum and at least be certain that you are attracting traffic in a place that can sustain it.

I'd like to revisit Lucky's earlier contention that, since NESers are "older" and have "less time," these long delays are to be expected. If that is the case, it is especially the case that NESers should do their work in IOT, for sustenance during those long down times.

So it's personally relevant to you what members of a community you split off and another you have rarely displayed any positive emotions towards do do on a forum you post on about two times a month? Why?

I'm active in the community, just not the IOT one. Sorry to burst your bubble, brosephine, but there's more out there than you seem to realize. Just as Crezth pretends to know anything, when his entire modus operandi is divisiveness, in the inherited Symphonic style (which is fine, and we love them for their cynicism because when they actually do something it is of a quality rarely seen elsewhere), based on his own not being active in the majority of things he mocks openly. He was in EoE for a few months, tops, and dropped out of CI multiple times, and never launched a successful NES in the same way he insults others who are still regularly producing content (which is being ignored, because ignoring facts is the only way your argument holds steam).

Let's not let a single tantrum ruin the fact that we have in fact created a community of the only ACTIVE nesers (writing 4 pages about music theory on an uncompleted time line never has, and never will count as active), and does deserve a new name, to show the fact that we have a new community, a union that is greater than the sum of its parts. This union has grown NES and grown IOT, it seems wrong to just to keep calling it IOT considering the presence of the NES community here

You haven't created anything. A few individuals merged into IOT, and adapted to its extant community, whereas a much larger number did not (and continue to be active, as I've seen far more NESers asking after TNES or AzaleNES or BombNES or even my own projects than any IOT, and the reasons they haven't joined IOT is simply because IOT doesn't provide the media they seek, and you should expect to see a lot more of the quality NESers you so easily write off in coming weeks). But you've been a negative, toxic influence in this whole debacle, and from my understanding and discussions with IOTers this sort of crusade you've pushed is of your own volition, and others would rather not spin up the drama drive over non-issues. There is and never will be no reason to merge specifically on some bizarro concept of activity boosting. (We've done the math; we've tried these things before. We know what works and what doesn't, and IOT and NES haven't grown in any considerable way under your imagined governorship).

The problem here is that you seek growth through merger, but it won't work. You seek legacy through archives, and that simply buries the hard work of people I see everyone in this thread writing off as worthless, dead, gone, kaput. I don't agree with it, because I know better than you. How? Talking to the people in question, for starters, and not in the echo chamber you seem to exist in that calls for these sweeping reforms of grandiose delusion. So why can't you leave things be, and let NESers do in the NESing forum what NESers have done, and just accept and be happy that some of them play in IOTs too? If you're unwilling to accept status quo (as many are) then you're nothing but an agitator, seeking drama and conflict and the outright, permanent destruction of what once was and still is a unique hobby on this forum.

I have no claim to IOT. I didn't build it. They did, and they should have the full authority to do with IOT as they please. But I did participate in the construction and growth of NESing, and still do, and so did a great number of people I consider friends. I would never attempt to do any of this to IOT, nor would any NESer, because there is nothing to gain in it but dissent and infighting. It's so simple for you to label me as a villainous figure, but who gives a damn? Someone has to stand up for the hobby in an abrasive way. And I'd do the same for IOT if something was attempted to disrupt that hobby.

Lucky I believe at this point the merger is off the table. We are just voting on the rename for the new community

Maybe I shouldn't chime in, but:
1. As noted, many NESers have gone to IOT, and I'd wager that at this point this is more or less all the NESers that actually are going to want to do so (out of their own wishes), so merging NES with IOT will either definetly turn away the other NESers "forever", or they'll be very reluctant ti do anything well in the new forum, and

2. It's not like the NES-forum is harming anyone. A few months back, many of the subforums in all other games were removed because people had to scroll past them to see threads, but the NES forum doesn't cause any annoyance for being where it is on the index page. And I believe chess was elevated to a forum of its own, yet the chess forum is a lot less active than NES. And chess discussion can happen pretty much anywhere, but NES is like from this site (yes it happens on the frontier and over chat as well, but still nowhere near as far spread as chess)

Again, the discussion is about the rename right now, not the merger

It'll be attempted again in six months, ad infinitum.

And six months from now, you and the rest will poke your heads out of the ground to say "We're not dead! We're just resting!"

And six months from now, you and the rest will poke your heads out of the ground to say "We're not dead! We're just resting!"

No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level abrasiveness, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means?

Ad infinitum.

I'm active in the community, just not the IOT one. Sorry to burst your bubble, brosephine, but there's more out there than you seem to realize. Just as Crezth pretends to know anything, when his entire modus operandi is divisiveness, in the inherited Symphonic style (which is fine, and we love them for their cynicism because when they actually do something it is of a quality rarely seen elsewhere), based on his own not being active in the majority of things he mocks openly. He was in EoE for a few months, tops, and dropped out of CI multiple times, and never launched a successful NES in the same way he insults others who are still regularly producing content (which is being ignored, because ignoring facts is the only way your argument holds steam).

Nah, mangorooney, I'm specifically referring to the CFC branch or whatever you wanna call it. I'm trying to figure out why you give two craps over the homeworld's politics when you're clearly living in the ex-colony. If you're so sure it's a bad idea, just let us burn and time will prove you right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom