[BTS] PH S21E01: It's a Dam, Dam, Dam, Dam World

In my 2 shadow games, I've built 9 total Hoover Dams so, I'm not quite sure which civ 4 you're playing.

good turns, LK. I know we talked about earlier, but maybe we should begin to transition towards victory conditions. I haven't played in a while, but it feels like we're nearing the beginning of the endgame. Or the end of the middlegame. But way past the beginning of the opening.

And let's just keep the roster as it then:
LK > just played
Oz > UP NOW
pholk > on deck

pigswill shadow game:
pigs > just played
pigs > UP NOW
pigs > needs a skip maybe

Cultural is out. We aren't close to 9 cities, and doubtful we can get 9 along the rivers.
Domination is out with the variant. There aren't enough river cities to get there.
Conquest would be very tough. There simply isn't enough production.
Diplomatic is hard to call at this point. At this point we have no idea where the AI attitudes will stand.
Space is probably the best bet. We still need to get a lot stronger production to pull it off.

All those flood plain heavy cottage cities are perfect for strong science. That is exactly what we need for space.

A pretty quiet set of turns, HBR came and Civil Service is on the way. Corn is farmed and unhealthiness is gone.

Settler built and another on the way, moving some troops up north for protection of said settler and noticed this

I think Pacal has captured a barb city there but it most inconvenient. We should plant cities either side I think but might need to get rid of it as well. The priority is to settle the river further north I think.

looks like there's finally some godo production up there. I'll send that next settler up that way, try to connect our cities, and get some sort of army up, a mobile sort to defend the egyptian riverlands.

My daughter came back unexpectedly Sunday night; apparently some schools have a tiny fall break now, too.

We met this lady:

She has many cities, but we have many tech.

Which he wants:

We lost one archer to this spear, before vengeance was ours:

Then barb sword showed up:

I was getting ready to move our settler out towards the hills, but waited until we had more reinforcements.

This guy spoke:

Say we could bulb Theol, but maybe GAge once we settle little more? i just hit enter on him.

Liz wanted a trade, but I said no:

We had a small stack together that I moved up north. There was a bit more barb activity up there, so i panic settled with one of our settlers (we have another):

I feel like this was a nice space for good production city, and it only overlaps with that desert tile. Farms could fuel mines in the north, and act as a buffer for any cities to the north.

I have several elephants moving north, and more in production. There's a barb city to our northwest, and i just have a feeling that some sort of conflict is coming up this way, so. Besides army, I looked to science or growth buildings.

Next turn CS is done so I stopped, and we can decide where to go next. Calendar maybe or trade for it at least would be nice.

LK > Up Now
Oz > on deck
pholk > just playded

Attachments

• pholkhero2 AD-0920.CivBeyondSwordSave
    161.6 KB · Views: 17
Got it

920 AD (0)
I give Pacal metal casting for currency and $70. It is only $1 per city right now, but I still appreciate any extra income. There is nothing else available for trade. I realize he is the number one threat right now, but the extra $70 is appreciated. We are running our cash to tight.
I whip the granary in Elephantine.

I’m thrilled to see a missionary by Pi-Ramesses. That city has zero culture at the moment. It needs a border expansion for the 2 additional flood plains to put cottages on.
(IT) Brennus comes and says hello. I sign open borders. There are no other possible trades.
With our smallish empire size I gladly revolt to bureaucracy.
Calendar is cheap, and we have calendar luxuries. That is the next research project.
Thebes starts an aqueduct.

940 AD (1)
I merged the prophet into Thebes. That gets us positive science at 50%.

1000 AD (4)
A worker starts heading toward the iron. It isn’t that long to the borders expand. The roads need to start going down now.
(IT) The next tech is machinery.

1020 AD (5)
I give Saladin civil service and calendar for feudalism and $60. I upgrade a single archer to longbow. No more upgrades can be afforded.

1030 AD (6)
Giza is founded at the end of the river. An obelisk is ordered up to expand borders. I want to be able to get those fish.

1050 AD (8)
(IT) Hanging Gardens is completed. The population boost is really appreciated.

1060 AD (9)
An obelisk is whipped in Giza. Next up is a workboat to get those fish.
(IT) Elizabeth will open borders with us. I gladly take that.

1070 AD (10)
Our archer attacks a warrior guarding a hut. Sadly, all we get is a map. If we weren’t limited to river, it showed an awesome 3 fish spot up north.

Summary:
Those two workers intentionally built a road to connect Pascal’s empire. I am hoping next turn to see a nice boost in trade route income. They can come back into our lands next turn.

The worker putting a camp on the furs is guarded by an elephant. I want to eventually get roads up to Giza. There is very yummy marble by Giza after a border expansion.

The missionary queued up in Memphis is for Pi-Ramesses. That city needs culture for 2 more flood plains.

The next GP is in 11 turns. Spy = Scotland Yard. Prophet = merge. Engineer means rushed wonder in Pi-Ramesses. That city has the most pressure, and will appreciate a large culture boost.

A worker needs to head to each of our calendar resources soon. The happiness isn’t needed yet, but it will be soon.

ROSTER:

pholkhero >> on deck
LK >> just played
Ozbenno >> Playing
You >> getting ready, feeling the itch

Attachments

• pholkhero2 AD-1070.CivBeyondSwordSave
    178.2 KB · Views: 18
Apologies for the delay, been a hectic last couple of days.

Did a bit of exploring and had the opportunity to do this after the AI moved out of the city to attach our archer (successfully it sadly must be said)

The cash is welcome but we have to raze the city.

Machinery comes in and Aesthetics is up next as we should go for Great Library to speed up science as that will be our big advantage.

A quest

Not sure if it is worth it or not.

Our Buddhist missionary arrives at Pi-Ramesses on the turn Buddhism spread to Pi-Ramesses :crazyeye:

I left it as Literature comes in and Paper selected.

I think we should think about one more city near Pacal's city to try and wrest control over the whole river. Otherwise, we should try to get ahead in the tech race, get Education and Liberalism for a juicy free tech (maybe Steam Power).

Attachments

• pholkhero2 AD-1170.CivBeyondSwordSave
    194 KB · Views: 18
been a hectic last couple of days.

i believe its going around.

with everyone back ensconced at their university, and my elder body finally shaking off pretending like i was 20 again, i have it.

i will continue the expanion and the teching. doesn't seem like we have any good sites picked out so i'll wait before settling. gogogogo

doesn't seem like we have any good sites picked out so i'll wait before settling.
IIRC we have completed filled the river. I have no idea where we can drop another city.

We do indeed have no more river to settle. That is, we have no more of OUR river to settle. Other rivers, though . . .

The set was very inconsequential, i think. mostly worker movements and such. I've been thinking more about winning, and was wondering not just if we can win a space race with our land, but if we can outcompete someone like pacal on his.

which leads me to propose a war against the mayans to knock them down, grab some better lands for ourselves, and put us in the pole position. He doesn't have CS yet either so it might work out well for us (or doom us).

To that end, I started building some barracks and units in our three main productive cities. I also built some walls where needed on the extensive shared border.

in other non-cold-war-related news, elizabeth came by quite a bit demanding trades or for us to stop trading with her enemies. I said no to her. Brennus demanded a tech adn was denied, and pacal wanted CS for aesthetics, but i said no to that as well.

we lost a town and workshop due to an event at elephantine.

After paper, i went with Education, and i sent our GE up to PiRam for to build the Parthenon. I also had the capital finish the Nat'l Epic so we can maybe really start getting people out of there.

And Egypt, upper, lower and all points in between:

*notice the new barb cities and khmer city

Attachments

• pholkhero2 AD-1300.CivBeyondSwordSave
    210.7 KB · Views: 15
Got it

1300 AD (0)
With us talking possible war I upgrade multiple archers.

I don’t understand why science is at 0%. I turn it back up to 50%.
(IT) If we want war I have to end Thebes run on wonders.

1310 AD (1)
(IT) Brennus is told to go away after offering us just $50 for metal casting.

1320 AD (2)
We get another engineer. They begin the long walk to Pi-Ramesses.
(IT) Sury comes along offering music for civil service. I will pass.

1350 AD (5)
Giza gets a whipped lighthouse
(IT) We are really screwed in the tech department. Pascal adopted mercantilism that comes with banking.

1370 AD (7)
Pi-Ramesses gets Chichen Itza rushed.

1390 AD (9)
(IT) We get a useless task of getting copper from Pascal. The city isn’t on a river, therefore we can’t capture it.

Summary:
I don’t feel like I accomplished much. Pascal and Sury have a Buddhist lovefest going on. My #1 fear is that they ally against us once the war starts.

I have two stacks building up:
A stack is by Quirigua that includes a settler. That stacks need a lot more with the city on a hill and having longbows with hill and city defense. The setter is to build a city on the corner of the river after Quirigua is raised. It needs more attacks and a lot more catapults.

A stack is by Izancanac. This is the stack the needs to raise Pascal core cities. It also needs a lot more units.

The first Pascal war at a minimum must raze Quirigua to get us another city.

ROSTER:

pholkhero >> on deck
LK >> just played
Ozbenno >> Playing
You >> getting ready, feeling the itch

Attachments

• pholkhero2 AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    222.4 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom