Phaedo02- Rage_Against_The_Machine

Ok. I didn't really change the roster too much but it should be ok. I'll play toninght after work tonight.

@Ansar: about -3 deg C in the morning to 12 deg C in the afternoon:p . I like it. I've been here for about 6 years now. :)

@Ansar: about -3 deg C in the morning to 12 deg C in the afternoon:p . I like it. I've been here for about 6 years now. :)
lurker's comment: Not "temperature" cool. ;)

I mean, Japan is cool, isn't it? Or do you like it better where you were before?

I loove living in Japan. There are some frustrations but there are a lot of great things too. I went back to Canada for a year and decided to move back to Japan so I must like it a fair bit. I do like being an ex-pat and it's good for a pale-face like me to experience life as a minority:)

Anyone around? I'm on turn 14. We lucked out and got WC from the Hut:woohoo:

We've met the Dutch and the Celts.

The Celts are up BW and Pots with 10 gold
The Dutch are up BW, Pots and Alph with 35 gold

We are up WC and The Wheel on both of them

Willis will give us all he has for our tech
Brennus will give us all he has for The wheel

EDIT: Willie will give us alphabet for the Wheel, 55g and 1gpt, but won't go for a WC only trade even for 70g + 5gpt (our max). He must be researching it which makes me inclined to trade it now, get parity and bankrupt both.

Willie has horses in his bordes maybe 8 squares form our capital

I've saved and I'm going to wait for some feedback as I don't really want to make this decesion solo. We have 3 rWarriors and 70 gold and a settler coming in 8 (which will put our cap back to pop1)

Do we have any horses in sight? If so, I'd get them hooked up and build a rax instead of the setter (going down to pop1 hurts, even if we don't care about money for research). Warrior Code and Wheel may mean some fairly early pointy stick. At this stage, the AI usually coughs up every tech they have if you sack just 1 or 2 cities. What's our military like after 14 turns? :lol:

Willie probably won't trade Alphabet lightly because, a) he has it as a monopoly tech, and, b) it's more valuable than either of our two techs individually.

I would be inclined to trade the two to Willie for all he has, as the value of our techs will plummet once someone else knows them, and then Alphabet will not come cheap at all.

Agree with Buce, really. It's likely not quite time yet to call out the hounds. Can we get Alpha from Willie without breaking our bank or even at a profit, and then pick up the other two from Brennus with whatever we have that's cheapest?

Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention the first time to see that we're at three warriors right now.

I'd still think carefully about putting our capital down to pop1, esp. without a granary in place to rebuild it quicker. But I'll leave that to wiser primates than myself to say.

@SM: I can't agree with the Settler issue. At this level we will be out-expanded anyway, so we need cities on the ground. We can always dedicate the most efficient of the two to some military builds without compromising our ability to expand.

While I agree with you that poking with the pointy stick will play a big part in this game, so will gpt trading, and for that we need productive territory.

Willie wil give us Alphabet for the wheel plus 55gold and 1gpt. He is about 6 or 7 turns from meeting Brennus

Willie wil give us Alphabet for the wheel plus 55gold and 1gpt. He is about 6 or 7 turns from meeting Brennus

Since they both have BW & Pots, all you will end up with is exactly the same techs as you would if trading to Willie for all he has - the only difference being we will have paid 55g and landed ourselves with a debt for twenty turns.
Even 1gpt represents a sizeable percentage of our disposable income at this stage of the game.
My advice remains the same - trade Willie now.

I think starting next to two agri civs is a whole lot of bad luck.

Any chance of a screenie?

Here are the screenies. I'm not going to get a chance to finishe it tonight but should be able to do it in the morning.

I think trading both to Willie and then waiting is what I'm going to do. Thoughts about city placement would be welcome. I see maybe 1 spot on the river but a costal would be nice as we are going to get Alph

Thoughts about city placement would be welcome. I see maybe 1 spot on the river but a costal would be nice as we are going to get Alph

I would say one of the two hills near our warrior would be favourite; if we don't put one there, Willie soon will.

Being hemmed in like this, I think SM will get his wish for early violence.

Cool Phaedo, just started a solo game identical to this (my first DG attempt) after reading that Jumpmaster thread that someone linked to us. Good luck :)
I was planning to start one just like this, but someone (who-shall-remain-nameless) beat me to it.

:gripe:

And

:goodjob:

After all, we do think alike!

And Ieyasu's quest for space begins

Open up save 4.
T0 4000BC
send the worker to the BG by the river.
Choose Pottery to "research." WC and BW cost 102 beakers according to CA II. I'm really hoping we will bet WC when that hut pops.
CAn't think of anything else to do so settle Kyoto.
Whoopie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes lady luck is kind
3 silks and the ocean isn't too far away. Looks like a nice start to me:)
Drop the science slider to 0% (where it will stay forever)

T1 3950BC
worker starts mining
ATM we have 5turn warriors. Even though we can build archers, Exploring seems to be a much higher priority than military might at the moment.

T2 3900BC Zzzz
T3 3850BC Zzzz
T4 3800BC Zzzz

IBT Kyoto warrior>warrior

T5 3750BC

Taro the warrior moves North

T6 3700BC
Taro is going to continue exploring to the north and our second one will go Easterly.

T7 3650BC
We finish the mine. I decide to road the tile for the extra gold to make up for to 10% lux increase that will have to happen in 3 turns, then I'll road the lux I guess.

T8 3600BC
Taro explores

IBT warrior>warrior (I figure I'll build the 3 our upkeep will allow and then change)

T9 3550
Taro explores. It looks we are at the bottom of a penninsula.

IBT Kyoto grows

T10 3500BC
Up the lux slider to 10% and get the auto clown working.
Decide to wait on roading the silks as we need the grass to keep us at 10-turn growth. I sort of wish I hadn't roaded now and had gone straight to the mine. There is another BG in out BFC now.
Taro and Tomo the warriors keep busting fog.

T11 3450BC
start another mine and explore.
Taro moves to a hill and sees some turquoise borders and a GH.
Tomo moves South and it seems we don't have a lot of land to work with.

T12 3400BC
Kyoto builds another warrior and switches to a settler (in 8 with growth)
Decide to leave the warrior home for MP duty and Barb protection.
Lower lux to 0%
Tomo moves to a hill and can just make out an orange border.
Taro moves towards the Celtish looking border (I'm not sure what other civ uses that colour)

T13 3350
Meet the Celts. Brennus is Up BW and Pottery and Down Teh Wheel and WC. He's polite
Tomo moves to a Mt and sees some borders but no units

IBT The Dutch move into sight

T14 3300BC
Willie is up BW Pottery and Alph with 35 in the bank (Brennus with 10)
Talk to Wilie first He will give all his gold, Pottery and Alphabet for our wheel and WC. He has horses in his bordeers
Brennus will give us Pots, BW and his gold for the Wheel
Decide to save and see if anyone is online
It seems I must have made a mistake in posting. Willie won't give us all his techs. So I decide to leave him with BW and get it from Brennus
Dutch: 35 gold, Alph and Pots for Wheel and WC
Celts: 10 gold and BW for WC

T15 3250BC
fog busting

T16 3200BC
Fog busting

T17 3150BC
Fog Busting. It seems Brennus' warriors have moved, they will probably meet the Dutch in 2-3 turns

T18 3100BC
Exploring

T19 3050BC
Exploring. We have some NICE land to the South.

T20 3000BC
Settler is built>granary
Settler moves SE along the river
Exploring.

Checked with The AI every turn but no deals. They don't even have cash. We are up Alph and Wheel on Brennus and even with Willie.
We have some expansion room but it's tight.

I was planning to start one just like this, but someone (who-shall-remain-nameless) beat me to it.

:gripe:

And

:goodjob:

After all, we do think alike!

Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ:D

Actually, this has been in the planning stages for a while. I don't deserve all the credit. Buce and I have been talking about this one for a couple of months now.

No thoughts on city placement right now, but I see that Willie has horsies in a city radius. Does anyone ever doubt that the AI always knows where all the resources are from the very start? Why else settle in 2000BC on the tile next to the uranium mountain?

The AI are morons with hooking up resources. Anyone want to guess what the odds are that we can build up enough stone age miltary to relieve him of that territory before he gets it properly roaded?

This isn't nearly the same desperate situation that Smart had in the Russian Polar Expedition game, but two agri neighbors in green territory may force us into rolling the dice with a 10 archer army.

Or am I really getting a bit too excited about getting us into an early quick war?

This isn't nearly the same desperate situation that Smart had in the Russian Polar Expedition game, but two agri neighbors in green territory may force us into rolling the dice with a 10 archer army.

Or am I really getting a bit too excited about getting us into an early quick war?

Sounds like the route we are going to me although we do have some expansion room. It'd be nice to have the 10 archers but let's hold off on pulling the trigger just yet;) . It definately looks like early war though eh?

Top Bottom