Phaedo02- Rage_Against_The_Machine

I guess I'm up (once Phaedo posts the save :mischief:)

Since I'll have to find a home for a Settler during my set, I could do with some input on city placement. Being this close to two Agri civs - and with no food bonus - we will run out of space sooner rather later.

Ooops!!!!
So sorry.

Getting a quick city on one of the hills was my intention and the grass N of the cow looks nice and is coastal. Dare we go CxxxC with our first 2 cities that close to Willie? I think we have a bit of time in the North

Attachments

• rage_phaedo_3000 BC.SAV
    66.7 KB · Views: 80
How about 4SE of Kyoto? That would put it on a hill next to a river surrounded by some trees and such, and it would disourage Willie from settling another city north of Horsetown. I'm not a fan of CxxxC, but this situation probably calls for it. Then maybe a push to the east coast to close our borders?

I concur with SM on that. Red dot first, then I suggest blue should we have the opportunity.

The black arrow is pointing to Dutch borders.

I also propose that the worker should chop wood for the granary once it's current task is finished.

Enter:

2950 BC:

2900 BC:

2850 BC:

Osaka founded > Warrior
Dutch have Mysticism, wil not trade.

2800 BC:

Worker completes mine, begins road

2750 BC:

Dutch learn Masonry - no to trade.

2710 BC:

Utrecht founded south of us, Camel-dung founded north of us.

2670 BC:

We meet the Hittites. I suspect they already know Brennus because they have tech parity.
Worker completes road, moves to forest for chopping.

2630 BC:

Osaka > Warrior > Worker
Worker in Kyoto begins chopping wood.

2590 BC:

2550 BC:

Hittites have IW. Will not trade for all our gold (185g + 8gpt)
Dutch will not trade Mysticism or Masonry (all monopoly techs).

Summary:

It's looking grim from an expansion perspective - all of our victims (I mean neighbours ;)) have 5 cities each. I think the Hittites don't yet know the Dutch but Brennus knows both, so will probably broker a deal, giving all of them IW :(.

Kyoto will have a Granary in 4 with the chop. I think we need to get a Settler out next to found 'blue dot'.

It looks to me that we then need to chop for a Rax in Kyoto and Osaka, then start pumping out Archers ASAP. We will have three reasonably productive cities to do this, though 'blue dot' may well be more suited to Settler production to fill the gaps that we will hopefully create. The land to our North is poor, so I think Willie needs to be our target for a spot of pointy-stick expansion/research.

I can't be sure, but looking at the mini-map it seems Willie has little room to his South. We need a spot of luck and hope that he doesn't have Iron.

Spoiler :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/38078/Rage_2550BC_Buce.SAV

At least it's not Persia right next door.

I agree totally with Buce's assessement. Blue dot for settlers, and vet archers ASAP from the other two. Willie makes sense as the first contributor to Japanese expansion. I might even bypass Utrecht to start and push directly into his heartland with its (likely) better territory.

Sounds good to me. It liiks like you get your early violence Simp:). I wish I had something more to add but you guys have pretty much covered it

Phaedo
Bucephalus
Elephantium UP
Simple MonkeyOn Deck
Smart[/QUOTE]

It has been suggested that we each take 20 turns until things get more complicated. As SM was going to play tomorror, this shouldn't inconvienance him and I think it is a good idea. So for the next round let's do that and re-evaluate. I'd like to leave the revised order as is with Tusker going after SM as he is still mid-set in Aabra01.

Buce is going to play another 10 turns tonight and then SM can take it. There ought to be plenty of time for us to put in our $0.02 once Buce finishes. The only corollary to this is to pause mid-set for input if something comes up.

Off we go then:D

2510 BC:

IBT:

6 Dutch Warriors heading West from 'Horse' town; I think they are barb hunting - hell, I hope they are.

2470 BC:

Worker completes chop at Kyoto, revealing a BG; begin to road.

Check trades. As expected, IW is now known by all. I can get it for 215g + 1gpt from any of them. Pause for consideration. Of course it has no trade value, but I can't see any reason why it will come any cheaper if I leave it, and it is of vital importance to us to know where the Iron is. I decide to buy it, but who from? Not from Willie, that's for sure; we have every reason not to make him rich. I'm going to go with Brennus, as a minor insurance policy against aggression.

Result? :woohoo: we have Iron at Osaka! I can see none elsewhere, and if anyone else has it in the fog, it's not hooked up.

2430 BC:

Osaka > Worker > Rax.
Move Worker to forest for chopping

2390 BC:

Worker (Osaka) begins chop.
Kyoto Granary > Settler ( growth in 6, complete in 6)

2350 BC:

Worker (Kyoto) completes road, begins mine.

2310 BC:

Nada.
Hittites lack Mysticism, but I can't get it from the others.

2270 BC:

Nada.

IBT:

Really bad news; Dutch Settler heading for 'Blue Dot'

2230 BC:

Worker completes chop (Osaka), moves to BG.
Osaka > Rax > Archer
Move Warrior to try and shepherd Dutch Settler away.

2190 BC:

Worker begins to mine (Osaka)
Dutch have Writing.

IBT:

Dutch Settler heads away from 'Blue Dot' but will probably settle inconveniently close.

2150 BC:

Kyoto > Settler > Rax (7); Settler toward 'Blue Dot' just in case Willie plants his city badly - it has been known.
Suddenly, our 'friends' all have HBR, Celts get Writing, Hittites get Mysticism.

Summary:

Mixed fortunes, really. Losing 'Blue Dot is more of an inconvenience than a disaster, but having Iron is a major bonus that could make all the difference.
Kyoto will give three turn Archers at size three or three turn Swords at size five. Obviously this would involve heavy use of the lux slider, but since we are committed to pointy-stick now, I don't suppose that matters. Osaka has two BG's that - once mined - will give five turn Archers at size two, four turn Archers at size three (or six turn Swords), three turn Archers at size five.

Assuming that we don't get lucky with 'Blue Dot', then we have a spare Settler. Do we use it elsewhere or save it? If we save it to raze and replace we have no means of building another while we build up our military; on the other hand, unit support would be increased by putting it down somewhere, and it would give us another Settler in 30 turns, and I don't see us having enough military to go to war in that time period.

Further on the downside, the Dutch will have Horsemen. I think our odds of surviving this start are getting slimmer by the turn.

Spoiler :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/38078/Rage_2150_BC_Buce.SAV

Top Bottom