1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Phoenicia Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I'm disappointed there's no bonus to maritime trade (beyond the small bireme buff), the very foundation of Phoenician civilisation. I also don't see the point of moving ones capital. They should have just made Dido's capital Carthage and made her ability the Colonies, with the generic civ getting trade route bonuses.

The bireme looks good though, and then Cothon is a beautiful-looking district. Dido herself has good leader art too.

MooFreaky, Krajzen, conorbebe and 3 others like this.
  2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Either that or someone at Firaxis messed up. I feel disappointed as I wanted to hear their real theme....:cry:

3. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

They'll probably be interesting to play on a naval map, changing your capital is quite a unique ability, but other than that the abilities are a bit meh.

Leathaface likes this.
  4. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Some thoughts:

1. Love the model. Maybe I'm biased because we have the same eye color.
    2. The ability to move your capital is something I've wanted for a while. Honestly, all civs should have this ability, but I like that Dido has it.
    3. The unique district is a harbor replacement. This is big for modders. There's been a bug that prevents two different unique district replacements of the same district from existing in the same game.
    4. The government plaza bonus is nice, but it means you do have a "real capital" since that will likely be your biggest city.
    5. Can I change my capital to lure Ibrahim into new cities? Probably not worth it, but what if it was?
    6. I don't have a sense for Mediterranean Colonies. Doesn't seem great if I need shipbuilding first. Unless Settlers can embark early?

5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Leptis is the Roman name.

The symbol is the first letter of the Phoenician alphabet, 'alep.

6. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I'm... underwhelmed lol. But only because I let myself get hyped up by you all and your talk of unique city centres and luxuries :p

I can't say I have ever wanted to move my capital so I'm not sure how much use that is.

On the plus side, I like the expansionist theme (that's right up my street from a gameplay perspective). She will be fun to play for sure. I just really wanted a unique luxury :cry:

7. tmacdec

tmacdec Chieftain

This makes dominating them kinda wonky. I doubt the AI will use the moving capital much but in MP I can see finishing the project up to the last tick and the second they're about to lose their capital switching it.

8. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Interesting perks for settlers while embarked, but that doesn’t kick in until Shipbuilding, correct?

9. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

OK, the Cothon granting 50% production towards settlers is sweet, but i'm not normally in a rush to build harbours. I might build a harder 80 or 90 turns into a game, sometimes even longer.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

agreed on this part. I would actually wish they took it a step further and actually gave you the entire writing tech. (not sure it's possibly in the game code if you don't have pottery though).

CivLuvah likes this.
  11. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

You have to buy a vowel before you can solve the puzzle.

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

How often do you really think you'll be moving your capital?

13. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Chieftain

The mountain turns out to be a molehill, to be honest.

Pietato, GreenofKnight45 and Meluhhan like this.
  14. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

Okay, I don't really have time to form or type a full set of thoughts on this one, other than I instinctively like it. Perhaps it's my general appreciation of coastal civs, perhaps it's the unique ability to move you capital, which is explicitly stated to be something intended to aid you in loyalty flipping, I don't know.

They may not turn out to be super powerful, but I do really like Phoenicia.

15. frubox

frubox Chieftain

I gotta say I am somewhat disappointed:

1) The cothon is quite...uninspired. I can see how it's a huge asset in naval warfare, but I expected something a bit more creative
    2) The bireme is just there. Nothing particularly creative. (Mandekalu cavalry on sea)
    3) Better settling is good, but also not really game changing, as it's the loyalty boost to cities on the same continent. They can basically do what every vanilla AI could do: settle behind your ass without repercussion. Historically accurate but nothing new.

The most interesting part is the capital moving bit and the bonuses that come with it. Also, the writing eureka already researched is an interesting nod towards science.

Overall, nothing really stands out and everything seem kinda...there. I expected a lot, to be perfectly honest, so I might just be more disappointed than normal

MooFreaky, Naktis, Krajzen and 8 others like this.
  16. Prima Italia

Prima Italia Chieftain

It is Leptis Magna or just Leptis.

Hawke9 likes this.
  17. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

"Unlocks Writing technology Eureka at the start of the game."

Not as sciency as we expected; but appropriate.

18. orochi2k

orochi2k Chieftain

Will it be a strategy to intentionally rise sea level and conquer the drowned world via Phoenician navel?

19. Ersoperso

Ersoperso Chieftain

Cothon District
    23a.png

conorbebe, bbbt, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  20. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

I wonder how viable it is to like build a city on a different continent next to some other civ's city and then immediately make it your capital in order to try to get enough loyalty pressure on the opponent's city to just peacefully grab it for yourself. Could make it a kind of passive aggression a bit like how Gandhi can with forward settling