1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Phoenicia Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 29, 2019.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

I agree, was expecting that too.

conorbebe, bbbt, AvianBritish and 3 others like this.
  2. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

During the last livestream, the devs said in Twitch chat that we should check back next week for something very interesting (or something along those lines), regarding the music. My theory is that they put the Ottoman theme in this video to not reveal whatever it is that's "interesting"...

Cooleatack, Icicle, Stilgar08 and 3 others like this.
  3. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

Imagine this. If you have very diverse cities on multiple continents and you were hit by a Dark Age, just move your capital to the most problematic continent and voila. 100% loyalty.

conorbebe, Siptah, Victoria and 8 others like this.
  4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

The art team did a great job as always with Dido. She seems like quite the big personality. Phoenicia's abilities are very interesting and different. So big points for that. Maybe it's just my play style but I think I might struggle playing as this civ because I am not really sure how to leverage her abilities for a win. At first glance, I guess you try to go wide along the coast and use your ability to move your capital to exert loyalty pressure on isolated cities and flip them to grow your empire even bigger. And once you have a bunch of cities, you can build lots of districts to get a lot of science or culture? You can also build your unique harbor in all your coastal cities for a lot of trade routes and get a lot of gold? Plus, you will have a strong navy to protect your coastal cities?

5. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Chieftain

If you are on a war path and want conquered cities to be loyal, you change capital to a city on the same continent. But I agree it wouldn't be much in a game.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  6. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

That particular issue has been corrected for some time. It was either the March or Spring Updates last year.

Infixo and ChocolateShake like this.
  7. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Chieftain

But... muh war elephants... :(

8. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

What are the advantages of moving your capital?

1) to avoid losing a Domination Victory, but this will hinge upon how long the project takes to complete.
    2) to generate more Loyalty pressure on a vulnerable city, since the capital exerts more pressure.
    3) to attempt to Loyalty flip a rival city through increased pressure.

Can anyone think of another reason?

ChocolateShake likes this.
  9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

On the bireme... it frustrates me, because the radius of protection it gives to naval trade routes is really useful, but not nearly as much during the bireme's heyday as later in the game. I wonder if it keeps the bonus when upgraded? It doesn't really make much sense that an early wooden ship can protect your trade routes but later ones can't :p

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Ok, well, I mean you'll have to play differently than otherwise. Looking at I see no reason you'd want to build a CH before harbor, for example. It's probably the first district to get settler production up and moving

Tiger Genocide and CPWimmer like this.
  11. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

At 1:25 are they horses below Sivas?

12. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I like this, some people were worried that Cothon would be a unique canal. Cothon looks great on the map.

agonistes, Ferocitus, Icicle and 4 others like this.
  13. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Yup a unique luxury would've been fun! I wish they had gone a bit more in the direction of Mali and Maori for Phoenicia's design.

I'll still enjoy them too as they have interesting aspects, getting cothons is much more central to them than I thought it would be.

Probably not much, but I guess when in a golden age this could be used to really turn the heat up on civs in dark ages :D

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  14. 679x

679x Chieftain

They seem a little bit meh, I was hoping for something a little cooler for the final revealed civ. I'll enjoy playing them for the expansionist/colonial aspects, because that's my favourite way of playing the game currently, but I think it could have been a little more...exciting than this.

Sure, you can move your capital, which is definitely unique, but that doesn't seem to be particularly useful aside from moving it to the continent that your less-loyal cities are on so that they never flip, in which case the cities on your original continent may end up suffering after the move. It sounds radical on paper but I can't see it being very useful.

The Cothon is also really boring, though the bonus production toward settlers is pretty nice.

Krajzen, bbbt and AvianBritish like this.
  15. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

The visual design of the civ is spot on, however, the gameplay bonuses are not that fascinating. The UU is okay-ish, and the Government Plaza bonuses are absolutely nice to have, but I would not consider these advantages significant - especially when comparing them to other GS Civs.

Also, the continent restriction on the loyalty bonus is very weird and also quite ahistorical: Phoenician civilization originated from Asia and spread to two other continents, Asia and Europe. Of course, our modern continent division is super artificial, but its translation to the game seems so weird for me (yeah, they did not want to make this bonus OP).

Krajzen, conorbebe, Siptah and 4 others like this.
  16. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Have they changed the Eureka for Writing or not? Because if not that's just the one for meeting another civ which you get pretty much every game without really trying so that's a pretty useless bonus if so

Krajzen, 679x, Siptah and 7 others like this.
  17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I find it strange they use the vowel-free Punic name for Lpqy, but we're not treated to Qrt-hdst or Sr.

conorbebe, Siptah, Jewelrunna and 4 others like this.
  18. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

To colonize another continent with already established civs.

19. dataswallow

dataswallow Chieftain

If the Cothon's insta-heal ability for their ships is spammable, how much do you think this would affect naval invasions against Phoenicia?

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Okay, so if you move your capital to a new continent, all future coastal cities on that continent will be 100% loyal, correct? Am I reading this right? This actually improves the usefulness of moving your capital. Of course the cities on your old continent could be hurting. But it gives them flexibility if you happen to start on a continent split and one is larger than the other.

Meluhhan and Uberfrog like this.