1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Phoenicia Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 29, 2019.

1. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

They do share the Mali ability of their unique protecting traders.

Very good point. Should have been the whole tech, not just the boost.

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Yeah, I have to remember that "continents" gamewise isn't the same as continents in RL.

Tiger Genocide and nzcamel like this.
  3. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

The video showed that happening, Carthage settled next to an Ottoman city and moved their capital to the new city, Ottoman city loyalty flipped. The new city needed a Cothon though.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You could play an interesting game where you forward-settle civs near the coast with several cities, build up those cities, loyalty flip the other civ, then move your capital to a different continent and do it again.

5. frubox

frubox Chieftain

This. I did not think about it first, but "Loyalty Bombing" other civs sounds unique and fun. Capital + Amani and you might have something there. I am already re-evaluating the civ, somewhat.

679x and Tiger Genocide like this.
  6. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Yup that'll be quite nice, I think Phoenicia overall will be a lot of fun, lots of subtleties and they'll be extremely powerful on the seas.

nzcamel likes this.
  7. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

My first thought was: wow they look amazing, super thematic and I am so glad to have Dido back.
    Second thought was: they don't actually look all that good tho, especially if you still need shipbuilding to get these settlers out. Their bonuses aren't really that exciting compared to all the other civs revealed.

Then my third thought:
    I remembered fourthings:
    1. cheaper settlers are good
    2. cheaper districts that generate gold are also good
    3. harbors will be stronger with change to commerce city-state bonuses
    4. the bulk of your expansion should actually occur POST building your government plaza building that gives settler prod bonus + free worker. Which also gives you 2 trade routes if you're Dido ( gov district + building) + all the cothons you will be building will also be building lighthouses + sea trade will be more beneficial in GS.

So in summary: these bonuses may seem a litttttttle underwhelming at first glance but i think they will add up to a strong civ.

Kmart_Elvis, 679x, Stilgar08 and 4 others like this.
  8. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

The Expansion potential for this Civ is through the roof. Cheaper settlers from a cheaper harbour? Combined with the Ancestrall Hall's discount and Colonization? 4 Free trade routes, basically? Yikes. That's some insane city spamming. And then no loyalty penalties for Coastal cities, jesus.

Moving your Capital is a nice flavour ability. Without it, the Civ wouldn't really feel like Phoenicia for me. Love the Purple colour.

Otherwise, I'm fairly underwhelmed. Phoenicia is good at REX'ing and trade, but that's sort of it. The overall design doesn't speak to me, I think it's a bit safe for a new Civ, though i will almost certainly love playing as them.

9. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

All cities on the same continent as the capital are 100% loyal, regardless of being landlocked or coastal. However, the capital can only be moved to a city with a cothon in it via running a project.

Edit: Just coastal cities for the 100% loyalty, whoops...but no requirement of a cothon to get that loyalty.

10. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Our_DeCay and nzcamel like this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Geez, how cheap will settlers be with Cothon+ancestral hall+card?

Tiger Genocide, nzcamel and Kjimmet like this.
  12. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

Besides Canada, for me this is the least-impressive civ I have seen so far from all the new civs. Granted I love the design of the cothon, and I like its abilities, but I was hoping for more bonuses with regards to maritime trade. I remember there's another new civ that has maritime trade abilities but I can't quite put my finger on it. Can someone remind me?

Second that. Any... modders out there?

Yeah, I remember that. Where should we look out for this? Twitter? YouTube? Twitch?

13. Xandinho

Xandinho Warlord

I found the look of Dido a little too simple, it just seems like a rework of Gorgo's drawing.

conorbebe likes this.
  14. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Meh, I find them underwhelming. But I did guess Dido's LUA name and that the civ would play with loyalty mechanics.

If anyone had gotten unique luxuries (like V's Indonesia), I'd have wanted it to be Phoenicia.

Also, they were wrong about the number of unique units. As we can see, Phoenicia does indeed have one.

conorbebe likes this.
  15. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Yeah I saw that they did it, was just curious if it'll turn out to be a consistent and reliable strategy or just a fun gimmick that's merely situational and not that practically beneficial compared to just attacking normally

CPWimmer likes this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

There's much more of a focus on keeping cities loyal than I though and not as much on trade, but looks interesting, especially changing your capital as a strategy.
    I still wished that the Cothon would have been an inland harbor that you could move your ships into, like a coastal city center, but maybe it would have been to hard to implement.

17. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

The capital thing sems to be way too niche to use much, tbh. Not one of my favorite reveals, for sure.

18. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

How are people underwhelmed?

Cities on the same continent as your capital have 100% loyalty.

Dido can move her capital.

So, Dido can forward settle the entire game and on different continents.

This is a really powerful Mechanic. I mean, her settlers get extra movement too? You could forward settle as part of a military invasion. Chop out at Harbour or Reyna it (remember, it’s half price). Move your Cap. Now you have the perfect base of operations and it won’t loyalty flip. Nor will any coastal cities you capture. Plus - all your Naval units heal instantly.

This is such an interesting Mechanic.

On top of that, Dido can also just nail the OCC if you want to go that route, given she gets four trade routes from her GP and can pump out districts in that city. You know - including Neighbourhoods.

And half price Harbour district is still a half price Harbour district.

Really interesting design. Really, really interesting.

There is - extra trade routes. Extra trade routes are awesome. And it looks like she can stop Sea routes being pillaged too.

It’s like Bizarro ancient era England. You know. Because of the Harbour. And trade routes.

19. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

The real intent behind moving Phoenicia’s capital:

So that Domination players can say “Carthago delenda est” and have to wipe out the Phoenicia AI entirely. It’s....kinda ironic.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Siptah, Hawke9, Ondolindë and 2 others like this.
  20. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Having said that, Phoenicia is probably the strongest of the new Civs. And it's not even close.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.