Pholkhero Flavor Series: Charlemagne of the Holy Romans

Don't attacking forces have to be 50% Landies?

*reads variant rules*

Good god, we have to PRODUCE it 1:1?

I chose MilSci for the grennies against asoka's riflemen

OK, jumping right in...

Ramesses is the bottom of the pile in this game, so trade with him to get Compass and get Optics from Ragnar and Printing Press from Hannibal.

I crazily up the tech rate to 30% as well :crazyeye:

And onto the task at hand, destroying Monty. A task that doesn't look like happening anytime soon. Why are all our trebs barrage promoted instead of CR promoted, that essentially makes them throw away units not city eating machines and means we don't have enough troops I think to take him down. :mad:

Anyway, I throw them away (also why aren't we building anymore, especially if the are promoted to be used like this) and our small healerless army takes the city.

They can't do anything as there are no re-inforcements available and no trebs anywhere. Not sure what our plan was and should be but I try to drag an army together (especially all the fortified knights :mad:) and head for the front.

We will lose Seoul and Varanasi to culture eventually. They are just tying up resources we could use elsewhere, the garrison at Varanasi is sent to the Aztec front. :mad:

[thought I at last got a screenie of this but didn't]

Sure enough, Monty counters and our army is destroyed. This was a shambles, we should have had a decent army to start with. Proper numbers and many more decent seige and healers.

I resort to whipping out trebs from our unhappy cities.

I abandon Varanasi, its useless to us.

We pop a GP, another shrine would be good.

Agra gets assigned to Asoka via the AP. I say no rather than never because it is another worthless city. We lose it.

A naval victory gives us a GG in Prague. What to do? Merge him there maybe.

I play some turns and then stop.

I've got some troops heading to the front. We have 3-4 troops left in the Aztec city. It is going to take a long time to bring Monty down. This game is slowly slipping away. We should have played our military game much better and pressed our advantage when we should have gone further to destroying Wang, Asoka and Monty, rather than the little lovetaps we gave them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

[can you tell I didn't enjoy this ;)]

Attachments

• PFS01 AD-1718.CivBeyondSwordSave
    356.1 KB · Views: 55
Rammy is Hannibal's vassal. Thebes and a few other Egyptian cities are under his control. Looks like they both took a bite out of him.

Like I said, if it was Hatty there would be no Egyptians left.

e; I think we can pull through. Also, I think I might have promoted some trebs to Barrage. Can you say why CR is better?

Considering that Trebs are really only useful for city attacking, I'd of thought you'd want a majority of trebs to be city raider promoted. This will maximise the retreat odds, so you'll have more survive in the long run. Barrage promoted are pretty much suicide devices. You might get lucky and have one survive, but don't count on it.

Personally I'd normally have the first one or two attacking a city barrage promoted on the premise that the first one or two are going to have poor odds of withdrawing anyhow, so gamble on inflicting some damage to the best defender and maximum collateral damage to the defending stack. However thereafter its CR all the way - CRI & II is +45% city attack IIRC. Barrage only benefits collateral damage.

got it, will play sunday and hopefully post monday

This is my fourth true succession game, I'm 0 for 3 so far :smoke:

I'm not real experienced, but I felt like this game pulled in a lot of different directions. I found a lot of what Ozbenno did, and mentioned things in a gentle way, like Catapults sentried in cities away from the front lines, much like Oz's knights, and cities with farms and cottages, not clear whether they're going to be commerce or production cities.

Mainz would have been a decent production city, but without actually looking, I seem to remember it would have been food capped pretty quickly. I'm not sure who started the FP there, and I don't want to point fingers anyway, but unless there's talk about moving the capital, I can't think of a reason to ever have the FP one city away from the capital.

I liked Ulm a lot for production, mentioned it at least twice, and even farmed over cottages to make it a production powerhouse.

I try to give advice, especially just after my turnset, and I make a point to carefully read the advice of others right before I play. I may not follow it, but I take it into consideration, as this is a team game.

I hope I didn't set all the trebs to barrage; I've been known in offline games to forget to ungroup units when I upgrade them. If I did that, and noticed it, you would have seen it in my report with an apology. If anyone's interested, my offline use of siege is to have about two bombard promoted units to help with walls that don't usually attack, and leave the rest unpromoted until I'm ready to use them. When I go to use them, I give them city attack if the attack odds are below 50%, and barrage if they are over 50%. It's worked well for me. In the end, I end up with a mix of units with varying amount of city attack and barrage.

It's Pholk's game, and he can/should speak up as well, at least a post-mortem on what could have been done better after the game is over.

Back to the game, if you see this before you play Ad Hoc, I would recommend the GG to Ulm, it already has a settled general, and the heroic epic(?), and if we're studying Military Science, he will be able to build a Military Academy there? A city with one turn units would help us greatly, as we need a lot of our cities concentrating on commerce just to survive.

Good luck Ad Hoc, bring glory to the Empire!

Sorry Bindy, I didn’t read your post so I merged the GG in Prague, First bit of weed because I had forgotten we are stuck in vassleage so with a barracks we are automatically producing level 2 units.

The forces are moved towards Teothuacan, cultural defence will have to be bombarded down prior to the assault.

Then a really bad bit of news.

We have no option I think but to continue the plan of removing Monty from the equation.

The capture of Teothuacan, costs us 4 trebs and 2 landies ( the landies both lost 90%+ battles) .

Monty is willing to capitulate now, I would like to continue on and capture Montys last city on the continent but I’m worried that he will capitulate to Asoka so I take his capitulation now.

Attachments

• PFS01 AD-1734.CivBeyondSwordSave
    370.6 KB · Views: 43
Looks good to me. I don't remember Tlaxcala being a remarkable city anyway.

So onto the entire Asoka AND WANG NOW business..... I'm at a slight loss. We will have Greandiers soon right? haven't used them since Vanilla.

Carthage has about a billion cities. Darn AI bonuses.

Oh, and Emancipation unhappiness!

You know, it goes away if noone alive is running Emancipation....

Just a few thoughts.

The army is recuperating within the Aztec cities, it would be worth sending them immediately to Seoul. I think there is a certain number of units that will stop a city flipping, i don't see the point in giving Asoka/Wang another city that we have to conquer in the end.

The GE is still available. any idea's and thoughts as i'm at a lost apart from with the FP in Mainz would there be any mileage in rush building the palace up North somewhere.

Military Science is in next turn so grennies should be available for Mayhem

Did we get anything for peace with Monty? I would have taken the last city as the two new additions are pretty useless with the cultural pressure from his last mainland city. Maybe give them back to him (after using whipping them down to size 1 for more troops).

The GE should bulb Steel, so we can take cannons along with us. I would hold off on Wang and Asoka until we have cannons and grens. We HAVE to make sure we have a proper plan drawn up as to how we're going to take down these two and try to stick to it. Whoever is up next (Quotey or Bindy?) should plan an assault route on 2-3 fronts and lay it out for us!

I was the one who promoted those trebs to barrage. Yes, normally, i never do it, but when 6 of them were only taking down about 12% a turn, i went the barrage route to help.

Ulm *should* converted to a Prod town ~ note the sign over the city in-game. RL has been a bear of late and I haven't been able to ride herd over the game as much as normal, but so far, not counting the Mainz-FP fiasco, i don't think we were going in too many directions here. We have a good bead on a win despite the fact that we aimed at rapid religious rex from the outset, keeping our tech rate way below 40% for much of hte game. I don't think that we'd've been able to do as well as we are doing if things were going all over the place.

but in any case . . .

good going on monty. I say we don't waste too much time on WK, just get grenadiers, upgrade many of our veterans, and take it right to Asoka. We crush him, he loses Wang, then we take the wang ~ agreed on Steel ~ that'll help out a ton in the next war.

Roster:
pholkhero
ozbenno
Ad Hoc >> just played
Quotey >> UP NOW and has it
Bindamel >> On Deck
pawelo

I was the one who promoted those trebs to barrage. Yes, normally, i never do it, but when 6 of them were only taking down about 12% a turn, i went the barrage route to help.

Accuracy is the promotion that helps take defenses down quicker not barrage (does more collateral damage when attacking), or have I missed something :(. Even then, CR promoting the trebs and attacking before defenses are fully down would have been a better way to go.

barrage is on the way to accuracy, must take Bar I to get to Acc ~ if they weren't promo'd to both, then my mistake, but that was my intent.

and really?!? at 100%+ cultural defenses, you think CR promo's would've been better? it was purely situational at Tenoch. had we cats, THEY would've gotten the promo's, and kept the trebs w/CR

lurker comment

Perhaps it's worse to mention to pholky that CR1 promo also opens up accuracy? :mischief:
no they don't! at least, they better not!! I've been playing this way for years with those!!

No trebs had the accuracy promotion (you can get it from CR as well). I would have taken defenses down to 50-odd percent and then 1-2 CR trebs sacrificed and the rest would have probably won, meaning no fatalities with the troops.

An even better plan would have been to CR promote the trebs, reduce defenses down to 0, while building replacements to bring to the front to continue the war...

i've always gone barrage with trebs, but this time with CR it did seem to work, the two landies that were lost were both killed at better than 90% odds.

we got some gold from Monty as well, we could have had his island city as well but financially i didn't think its worth it.

i don't think it was worth the risk in continuing the war, if Monty had vasseled to Asoka then we would have had more cities to take later on. it may be worth giving the cities back, monty is never going to get big enough to break free and any garrison troops could be better used elsewhere.

Top Bottom