pineappledan's Chola for VP

Thanks for the writeup!

I agree the Chola can get going quite well, but they aren't a "safe" civ. They aren't as risky as a civ like France, but I was surprised at how many things had to go my way, since they are such a slow starter. They have relatively late component unlocks, and trade route completion takes a while to snowball for your. In the meantime you have to give up on just sending your TRs to the same, most profitable routes in order to accumulate guilds in more cities long-term. And, as you said, if the leader, or your continental rival doesn't have a coastal capital, you have no military edges at all. In my own game, I had a rather surprisingly difficult time fighting against Timur, who is usually a pushover, because I had cut him off from the coast early, but could never manage to push further inland. I had to refocus on a nearby Indonesia, and leverage all my gains from winning that naval-focused war before I could turn back on Timur.

Not sure where the right balance is to be struck, but they definitely have a unique tension between wanting tons of international trade routes while also wanting to kill everyone. The big levers that I am interested in getting right are the Thirvai's bonuses on TRs.
  • Did you take much advantage of the 4:c5culture::c5science: for trading with a guild city?
  • How did the 20:c5capital:GAdmiral points feel? Is that still too fast, with too many GAdmirals and Thirisadai?

Thanks for the reply and work you did on this!

I can't be too helpful in answering however though. I exclusively wanted to get as many guilds up as possible for completionist sake and I aimed to go for the super wide fantasy, so I didn't go about it from an optimization standpoint. I was nearly done with all cities before I quit the game and was about to figure out the tradeoff. :)

I felt kind of meeh on the thirisadai aspect early, as you really have to get out of your way to make a great admiral. The custom house comes too late for this to help in that much at that stage. Then later on, once you pick up steam on that and you can select GA from events or tower of pisa or imperialism faith buying, you get wayyy more than you know what to do with. This is kind of excarcabated by the other UU also being a melee navy and for me they took off at nearly the same time, which makes sense since getting to the UU gears you up for naval war, which generates your other UU. If you don't lose too many ships you will surely be good on the melee navy front for the rest of the game. I also forgot this bonus was a thing mid to lategame, so I didn't pay too much attention to the GA progress bar, sorry. Overall, I felt like it gave me too much GA though.

Thanks! I knew that page was fishy. I'm going to edit the names for both ships

updated

Last edited:
major bug fix. TR counts for the Thirvai's trade route bonus to cities with Guilds in them was not resetting to 0, so it just kept growing additively for each TR completed. Oops!

This might also address @looorg 's earlier post about the Thirvai scaling too strong in late game. When he reported that, the Thirvai was supposed to give +5%:c5science::c5culture: per TR to cities with guilds, but they were not resetting at that time either. It was harder to catch the infinitely growing % modifiers in comparison to the new 4:c5science::c5culture:, whose stacking is visible on the Thirvai.

Another note I got back was that this bonus is local and constrained by your trade cap, which doesn't jive with the rest of the kit which pushes very wide. Having this 1 bonus not give a per-city scaling bonus on empire was intentional; I figured a bonus like this was more consistent with how existing franchise TR bonuses work, and it would be at least 1 bonus that you could still use maximally in a game where you are hemmed in. However, I'm open to criticism on that front, if people think something like +1:c5science::c5culture: in all cities for each :trade:International Trade Route targeting a city with an Ainuruvar Guild is more appropriate.

Last edited:
I was trying out VP 2.7 and was having issues with assigning trade routes. Basically in 2 games, either no trade routes would show up in the assign trade route menu, despite having available routes in the trade route overview screen. I looked through the Lua log and noticed this set of errors from the Chola mod that could be causing the issue. It is my understanding that in VP 2.7, the "GetUnhappinessFromConnection" function was changed.

Runtime Error: C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: attempt to call method 'GetUnhappinessFromConnection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: in function 'RefreshData'
C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:575: in function <C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:566>
[52104.093] Runtime Error: C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: attempt to call method 'GetUnhappinessFromConnection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: in function 'RefreshData'
C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:575: in function <C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:566>
[52113.171] Runtime Error: C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: attempt to call method 'GetUnhappinessFromConnection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:

I was trying out VP 2.7 and was having issues with assigning trade routes. Basically in 2 games, either no trade routes would show up in the assign trade route menu, despite having available routes in the trade route overview screen. I looked through the Lua log and noticed this set of errors from the Chola mod that could be causing the issue. It is my understanding that in VP 2.7, the "GetUnhappinessFromConnection" function was changed.

Runtime Error: C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: attempt to call method 'GetUnhappinessFromConnection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[52104.093] Runtime Error: C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: attempt to call method 'GetUnhappinessFromConnection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[52113.171] Runtime Error: C:\Users\joshu\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(C15) Chola V8\Lua\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua:257: attempt to call method 'GetUnhappinessFromConnection' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
1664861840346.png

The function has been replaced by GetUnhappinessFromIsolation.

Attachments

• ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup_fix.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 20
Thank you @N.Core , I have uploaded a version with your fix.

I did not change the version number, because this change is save compatible.

Unfortunately the issue with trade routes not displaying properly is still present after the fix (using the october version of Chola and a 2.0 patch from june 1 2022.) At first trade routes worked fine, then they started only showing the previous cities trade routes, and eventually at turn 200~ they just stopped appearing altogether. 39-41 city states, 22 civs, huge map, lots of mods (but I never had an issue with trade routes showing before). I imagine it's related to a large amount of cities in the trade route screen breaking it somehow.

need to test this and see if it still isn't working :(

1687205224157.png

Seems to be working fine

Last edited:
log-error-avoider for Kovil Kulam.

Attachments

• Chola_GameDefines.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 26
infiltrators was swapped from the barrage line to the accuracy line, and that change wasn't caught. Thank you for noticing that. I will update soon.

Top Bottom