Pirates! Yarrr!

Arrrr! This be the personal ship’s log of none other than Black Henry Scarlett of the Swashbuckling Pirates!

We set sail in January, the year of our good Lord 1656, from our haven of Tortuga. The good shipwrights and carpenters of the haven were hard at work researchin’ the secret of Royal Ships, for we had judged that our Pirate Flagships, devil-scuttlin’ though they be, could use some reinforcements. However, it looked like our research would take some considerable time.

I decided that the extensive archipelago on which we found ourselves was clearly a place of delicate geopolitical balance, with a number of powerful factions striving for dominance. Unwary decisions could have catastrophic and unforeseen consequences. Bearing this in mind, I summoned the men – and nary a swarthier, more cut-throat crew did you ever see – and announced a massive invasion of the Spanish haven of Santiago. Arrrrrr! cried the cut-throats, as they streamed from Tortuga and Crooked Island. Along the way we were ambushed by treacherous pirates under rebel command: they sunk many of our ships, including a Flagship! I vowed that I would shave their bellies with a rusty razor for this. The other minor incident during our attack was an unexpected message informing us that the Dutch had declared war on us. However, I judged that the tulip-loving dandies posed little threat, and continued the attack on Santiago, which fell like the swooning governor’s daughter with the first attack. Huzzah! A Spanish Treasure-Keeper attempted to flee the mayhem, but was cut down by a Buccaneer, who commandeered his booty.

Meanwhile, a British naval contingent was intercepted, resulting in the capture of more booty. This was returned to our haven and the money used to hire more Buccaneers. Huzzah once again, and grog all round!

As we prepared to marshall our forces to continue the assault on Cuba, the French unexpectedly declared war on us. This was more serious, as the garlic-munchers occupied much of the island on which our base was located. Our Buccaneers marched overland to Port-de-Paix, but were unused to this cowardly land-based attack and were repelled. A greater force must be built up before the French can be booted off Haiti.

Ten weeks into our adventure, and Cuba was ours! The Spanish resistance crumbled before our brave lads, as a combination of amphibious assaults and the commandeering of the island’s road network led them to victory. Meanwhile, our fleet, battered by assaults from rogue pirates and the imperial powers alike, regrouped and changed tactics. A series of daring raids upon passing ships resulted in the capture of enemy shipping, which was press-ganged into service; also, considerable booty was captured and returned to Tortuga. Here it was used to buy more grog, with which our men were bribed to hurry production of dockyard improvements, for better ships, and to hire many mercenaries. These were unleashed to attack the other Haitian settlements, leaving only Petit-Goave still to fall. And fall it will, my pretties! In the meantime, our attentions turned to Heneago and the Cayman Islands, havens of the rebel pirates: capturing these prizes would remove our rivals for mastery of the Caribbean Sea and allow us to continue our good Christian work – of relieving the local governors of their material woes – in relative peace.

...here the manuscript breaks off. However, the old chest is in considerable disarray and may yield further log pages...

Problems discovered:

There’s something not right with the animation on some of the LHs. Also, the LH pcxs don't match, so that everyone looks wrong on the Foreign Advisor screen.

There are no pedia pics for the Pirate Captain, causing game-crashing tendencies.

I’m not sure that all the building tree is correct. I was told I could build a Game Hunters, even though I had no Sugar Plantation, contrary to the pedia’s claim that the latter was required for the former.

Having such high HP for the ships means extremely long ship battles, as they plug away at each other! It might speed things up to give them more normal HP.

Other than these, it's all splendid fun with a lot of detail. It could certainly use polishing on the pedia front. Also, it would be good to change some of the text: instead of "That's it! Prepare for war!" it would be fun to say "Arrr! Prepare to be boarded, ye scurvy scalliwags!" or words to that effect...

Have you updated to v1.11 Plutinos? It fixes the pirate-captain issue even without starting a new game. But when you do (start a new game) it has manymany small fixes, mainly with unit/improvement stats though...

I've usually left the not-so-important-pics last on my todo list, but I plan to do them too.
Let's see, who was that who sayed he could possibly do some diplomacy texts? Although they bring a nice addition to the game, they are not as important as game balance/workability.

EDIT: The improvement tree has too many spaces in it, I can't get the civilopedia font into notepad for the editing the lines in the correct places. Does C3MT have a WYSIWYG civilopedia editor?

Arr, that be a nice log *I been watching a lot of Simpsons lately & that cap'n voice rings in me 'ead, arr*

I certainly downloaded the update and whacked it in, so presumably it ought to be working.

A few tattered leaves have been discovered bearing the following text:

Arrrgh! A mere month since my last entry, me laddies, and already yer old cap'n Black Henry Scarlett is moving up in the world. See, I had sorely underestimated the dedication, commitment, and sheer violent tendencies o' me brave hearties. They captured Petit-Goave, so they did, bringing the whole of Haiti as well as Cuba under me benevolent rule. Good lads swarmed out of the captured ports, pledgin' allegiance to me flag: I therefore decided to test their loyalty by sending them on raiding missions in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. What a surprise! The islands fell like juicy plums into me waitin' hands. Meanwhile, another expedition captured Heneago, thereby wipin' out the renegade Pegleg Pirates and leavin' me what yer might call a monopoly on the raidin' industry in this region. The next week, I decided to send a few lads who had nothin' better to do against the damn natives northwest of Crooked Island. Amazingly, the heathen all downed arms and signed up to me crew! I boarded them onto me ships and sent them into the Bahamas, which were completely conquered as more hearties joined up and immediately turned on their former shipmates. Inspired by this success, I sent a few of me scurvier men from Haiti to the Dutch Lesser Antilles, which all crumbled in the same way, leavin' me with more territory, more ships and more men than I started with. All this in a single week! Arrrr! Now the Swashbucklers control Haiti and all islands to the north, south and west. Next on the agenda is the conquest of the Leeward and Windward Islands!

Arrr, this seadog life be a fine one and no mistake. I'm beginnin' to think, though, that while I started with piratin' the booty of the good governors, less booty seems to be sailing through me traps these days. Now I control most of the islands' plantations and can make booty of me own! Piratin' be a fine life, but I'm thinkin' I may like governin' even more. Me sailors can turn their hand to tradin' and transportin' as readily as they can to plunderin'. Perhaps I can keep both trades goin' at the same time, methinks?

*I ain't that good on the pirate lingo, so forgive the civilized words*
I noticed the same thing when I played as the Swashbucklers, they're easy as... drawing a not-straight-line. If you try as the other pirates, it's a bit harder as the two haven's are farther away from each other.

The pirates are too easy: they're units multiply exponentially & they are much better than the european units. Per'aps adding more units to the Europeans & making the units enslaved have only 1hp & an A/D of 1/5. They could then be upgraded into real units. The same thing with ship enslavement (They must have really good carpenter's to get a sunken mail runner into a fully equipped pirate ship :p).

Also, pirating should get harder as time goes by (as it, in theory, does come).

Back to the drawing board... I'm adding all the neccessary resources (iron, lumber & saltpeter) for all of the Euro civs in the Caribbean.

I guess that the hardest nation to play is either the Dutch or Spanish (or Cherokee *duh*)

Swashbucklers (Black Henry Scarlett).
After 24 turns I have 18,700 something VPs. Did not play that carefully nor that darngly. Waiting to have some stacks ready before attacking while it usually is useless (2 bucaneers are enough for MOST island cities, including Cuba).

Declared war on French took Petite Goyave then the north of Haiti. The Brits declared war out of nowhere and took my other base (full of ships) which wa a severe blow at the beginning and might explain why I was so careful (=too careful) later on.

Prepared a fleet then moved against the Small West Indies, went down to Grenada (except Dutch/Spanish holdings) and signed peace with France (got me Guinea) and England (got me a base in Bahamas).
The other pirates being eating slowly the English in that area I decided to make it stop. Their captain (strong but cosy at home !) proved tough but then it was a piece of cake and I forced him to negociate peace (he sneaked attacked (with a sloop) my northern Haiti base (for 1 turn) though. Let him keep his base + a city captured in central AMerica from the English (Belize IIRC).
Same turn I recaptured my northren base I decided to attack Spain (Haiti fell in my hands, then Puerto Rico then all of Cuba (including the small island in the south)).

So : except for Grand Bahamas, Port of Spain, St Marteen & Virgin islands and Cayman islands all West Indies are mine. I can take all these within 1 turn if I want to. I have more than enough troops and ships for that ... and much more.

My plan was then to conquer only Bermudas to use for controlling the ships from North America and to use all my ships to blockade the way to Europe whle some control the strategic islands where foreign ships usually pass.

Altogether pretty fun but at the moment much too easy.
Spawning-units improvements at the moment don't just help continue naval warfare with new "ammunition" but create too many units except if you really enjoy micro-managing marine units and ships.
With the tresuries I got I can rush the cheap improvements every turn (don't even need to wait one turn to save money).
There are IMHO too many different ships and especially too many unit styles : size and scale are very different from one another.
I turned battles off because with so many HP (and with so many ships around at the beginning) turns were taking too long.
Bucanneers were usually land people. They had to serve a few years as hunters, preparing meat (the French boucan way : smoked IIRC), to pay for their transport then they could join a ship. Maybe buccanneers keep on being spawned but then they need upgrading before being able to fight ?

Edit : oh and you can keep them but I just hate the whale resource ! Really does not fit here !

Here is a picture :

Attachments

• Swashbuckler24turns.JPG
    Swashbuckler24turns.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 799
Heh, this post came at exactly the same minute as my answer to plotinus (got the name right this time :p)

The swashbucklers are very easy as they have 3 plantations on the same island & their second base is so close. The peglegs are a bit harder, although their troops also grow exponentially...

I'm using snoopy's terrain & that whale is meant for it as it's the same colour as the sea. On a aside note, I think you're using v1.0? I added 3-letter codes on all the resources (I mixed up sugar & saltpeter all the time) in v1.11 (first post). EDIT: Oops, I've forgotten to put the new art folder in the patch :blush: Oh well, going into v1.2 (with other stuff just said on this thread)

There's another thing into my todo list: Reduce "gold on capturing treasure unit" to maybe 100? And the hurry cost per shields too. Oh well, it's the first working version & this has a lot to still be modified. I guess that either England or France would be the best for the player. When the English get a few Galleon-fulls of Dragoons in the Caribbean they're troubles are over ;)

Yep, a lot of balancing still to do.

I might reduce the ship HP's a bit, but I think there has to be a lot of difference between small, fragile ships & reinforced battleships.

The following MS is a proclamation issued by the Governor of the West Indies, circa July 1656...

The Right Honourable Sir Henry Scarlett hereby decrees that rights to all trade, bartering, buying and selling, auctioneering, transportation and other mercantile activities within the West Indies administrative area are henceforth to be the sole property of the Swashbuckling Trading Company (patron and owner: the Right Honourable Sir Henry Scarlett). Those wishing to engage in mercantile activities within the aforesaid area must obtain a licence from the aforesaid company on pain of pain: they are respectfully reminded that, following the willing capitulation of all American holdings of the British, French, and Spanish Crowns, and the Dutch Republic, the West Indies administrative area covers the whole of Mesoamerica, the southern part of the northern continent, the northern part of the southern, and all Caribbean and Atlantic islands west of the Canaries. In particular, Sir Henry reminds all traders and sea captains that the crime of piracy is not tolerated within his administrative area, and those found guilty of same are invariably summarily hanged. Rumours that Sir Henry himself enjoyed a lucrative career as a pirate before gaining political and mercantile control of the American continents are of course entirely false, and Sir Henry is at pains to remind the population that he was a wholly legitimate businessman before assuming his current onerous duties.

Yup, I captured all the map and then sent massive invasion fleets to Europe, not realising that it was impossible to capture anything there. So I just mooched around the Mediterranean instead. No sea monsters, but there was a Black Pearl causing problems: a concerted effort by a couple of Pirate Ships returned it to hell though!

Evidently there's a lot to be done on balance, as you're aware. Personally I don't think pirates should really be capturing cities at all - maybe the odd one. But of all scenarios, this is surely the last that should be about conquest. Much as I enjoyed annihilating city after city, it ought to be about dodging the authorities and nicking their treasure.

I like the idea of having Buccaneers capture not new Buccaneers but a weaker unit - say a Pressganger - which can then be taken to a Barracks or similar and upgraded. That would end the strategy of sending just a couple of Buccaneers to an island and capturing so many new, powerful units that you conquer an entire archipelago in a single turn. It may also be a good idea to remove the Blitz ability, as they really are powerful.

Similarly, I would give treasure units more VP (as it is, you have to capture an awful lot to win) and less money. And some of the improvements should cost more shields. Also, I didn't successfully research a single tech in the entire game: I don't know if this is deliberate.

Idea for a new unit: a coastal battery, of cannon mounted at the harbour of a town, an immobile unit which can bombard approaching enemy ships. I believe this was quite a common thing for mariners to do in the seventeenth century, when repairing their ships: even on a wild coast, they might remove all the cannon from the ship and mount it on the beach, just in case.

Also, you may have a place for Civ Army's new (or imminent) Jäger unit, which has a nice seventeenth/eighteenth century look!

Yes Plotinus' idea about cannons is very important. Had this feeling when playing something important was missing but could not point my finger on it.

It definitely is the cannons. Many Spanish cities there erected huge coastal fortresses and had lots of cannons that were considered the best to stop pirate raids, to the points that some pirates then raided from inland because all cannons were turned towards the seas. :lol:
So some expensive but real efficient naval fortresses (can be useful when moving around Small West Indies for instance), some cannons and some coastal batteries (maybe with lethal sea bombardment) at some key points ? In my Great Armada scenario, immobile coastal batteries with letal bombardment can be created after a certain tech but I already put some at key points (entry of the Thames, Gibraltar, Jersey, straight of Calais). Maybe it can be an idea ?

Much work I agree but the good thing is balance is only changes in the biq so it won't require new downloads of the main stuff (and the separated biq can act as the counter you wanted !).

Hmm.. How about this:
Code:
                           A/D   Bombrd   RoF   Cost   Tech      HP
Coastal Battery            1/5     50      2     20    Early     +3
Heavy Coastal Battery      1/7    100      3     40    Med       +5
Grand Coastal Battery      1/10   150      4     70    Legends?  +7
They would ofcourse upgrade into each other.

The updates won't be too large so they could be counters yes.

Now that this is "only" in the update phase, I can start the next scenario, North Africa with (heavily modified) rules from my WWII scenario!

Privateer can't bombard but the AI can Bombard with Privateer. Btw this is awsome game:goodjob:

Arrrr! This be a great scenario! Ye done a great piece o' work, paasky :goodjob:! Aye, I be likin' t' music very much, 'tis was worth every byte of t' enormous download!

I downloaded this beauty yesterday an' had a look at it, but alas I didn't be havin' t' time fer startin' a complete game.

But I'll be shippin' out soon with some bottles o' grog and be havin' rich booty! Arrr!

I like this scenario alot!! Alas I have encountered a problem. When I complete the small wonder "Port 'o Call" I get one of those "can't find file" errors... sorry I haven't taken a screen-dump of it.

Any to v1.2 update - 1.7mb (17.04.2005)

V1.2 is here! Changes:
More units for the Europeans
Techs are easier to research
enslaves result in enslaved ships/units which can be upgraded into better units
New unit: Grand Battery
New Buildings: Land Battery, Large Battery & Grand Battery
Small fixes everywhere

Top Bottom