1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning cIV BTS MTDG III

Discussion in 'Civ4 -ISDG 2012' started by Sommerswerd, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Magno_uy

Magno_uy Chieftain

Spanish team change its Spies vote to ON, no restriccion

2. nabaxo

nabaxo Chieftain

Oh wow. Going from OFF to ON just like that. :rotfl:

3. Magno_uy

Magno_uy Chieftain

and? we need to justify each option?

4. plako

plako Chieftain

It seems that things are converging so here are the final settings that somehow could affect to the map:
    Map - MAPMAKER'S CHOICE, something random/special, decent amount of land, not archipelago
    Wrap - TOROIDAL
    Mirrored starts - NO (capital locations are very similar though)
    Fair/balanced starts - YES
    Corporations - ON
    Barbs - ON
    Speed - NORMAL
    Huts - OFF
    Allow all teams pre-optics contact - YES
    Size - Huge (game setting) - In reality something between 80-100 x 40-60
    Difficulty - Emperor

I won't say anything else about the map until the pick up process is finalized.

5. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Hahah, good one :goodjob:

This comes also to show how wrong someone can be when trying to guess what others would vote or want and decide instead of them. :)

6. nabaxo

nabaxo Chieftain

No just saying. I thought it was funny. :p

7. 2metraninja

Thanks again, Plako for your work and your sacrifice of not participating in the game itself, it is highly appreciated.

I do want to ask though, how starting locations will be decided? I read somewhere about starting locations being numbered on the map and then after the teams leader/civ choices are done, then the admin randomizes and gives to the mapmaker which team goes where? This sounds to me like a good way this to be done.

8. plako

plako Chieftain

Yes starting positions are numbered and r_rolo1 hopefully draws me an order. I actually asked him to do it earler today ;).

9. 2metraninja

:rockon: for our outstanding mapmaker!

10. Regis Hastur

Regis Hastur Chieftain

Civforum.de picked Inca

11. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

Wow, very cool. Thanks to all the teams for clearing up their votes so quickly. When I saw this issue come up I was expecting days of debate. Now we've got a definitive espionage vote, and a civ choice! That's pretty good for one day. :)

12. Mojoqmeyvam

Mojoqmeyvam Chieftain

Apolyton is up.

Spanish Apolyton is on deck (i.e., next).

13. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'm at a loss that the voting is presently in favour of leaving a demonstrably broken and exploitative mechanic in the game for abuse. What do we gain from allowing a clearly incorrectly scaled mechanic in the game like this? Teams who intend to aid their victory by the use of such a broken mechanic may as well just use the Oracle or Liberalism to take multiple techs. They're not that different - one gains hundreds or thousands of beakers in a one-off for free, the other costs a specific opponent hundreds or thousands of beakers over 5 turns (+ even more in potential anarchy), for the input of only a few hundred espionage points from a minion nation (investing 1 turn or less at that point in the game), and can potentially be repeated indefinitely.

When it can cost less espionage points to mess with an entire empire than with a single city, you know something is very wrong.

14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

What pick are we on? 3? So It's just Ragnar and Inca that have been picked right? Need to start brainstorming on choices so I just want to be sure. Is there a thread where the picks are being recorded?

15. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Chieftain

TWO civ choices. :D

16. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Chieftain

Uh, yea. This thread:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=463321

And we're on pick 4 now.

17. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

18. Magno_uy

Magno_uy Chieftain

thinking.... or something close to that...

19. mzprox

mzprox Chieftain

I agree that we shouldn't.. I believe many just voted yes without thinking of the consequences of these missions, but the rest must adapt anyway.. it's democracy after all.

20. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Here's an example of the potential consequences.

T100: Spy swaps civics in your empire, 5 turn wait imposed before you can do anything.
    T101: Can't switch back, 4 turns to go
    T102: Can't switch back, 3 turns to go
    T103: Can't switch back, 2 turns to go
    T104: Can't switch back, 1 turn to go
    T105: You switch to your original civics, 5 turn wait supposedly imposed. Later that turn, a spy swaps your civics, ignoring the 5 turn wait. New 5 turn wait imposed.
    T106: Can't switch back, 4 turns to go
    T107: Can't switch back, 3 turns to go
    T108: Can't switch back, 2 turns to go
    T109: Can't switch back, 1 turn to go
    T110: You switch back. Later that turn, a spy swaps your civics, ignoring the 5 turn wait. New 5 turn wait imposed.

...and so on and so forth. It can potentially go on like that indefinitely, as long as there is a minion nation around willing to build a couple of Spies and spend a turn or two on full espionage every now and then to screw with you. There is no minimum wait period for these missions - Spies can enact them at any time... only just switched or not, Anarchy or not.

This is not a "tactic" nor a "strategy" - it's a broken exploit in its present form, plain and simple. It's only made worse in high-level multiplayer games with a large number of human opponents. It's no different than grabbing extra techs with the Oracle or Liberalism - sure the game allows you to do it in regular play, but that doesn't mean it's not highly exploitative. And that is why it's silly not to ban the civic/religion swap missions.

It's foolish to allow exploitative mechanics in a game like this. I would hope that we would all be here to try to test our collective skill and wit across an epic game of Civ4... not to test who can abuse a demonstrably broken mechanic the most effectively.