[BTS] Play by dropbox

Charriu

Chieftain
Hi all,

I recently started playing by email with my friends. We didn't get the automatic email sending to work, so we looked to alternatives. We found our alternative in dropbox. So for anybody who is curious how to play by dropbox, here is a short explanation:

What you need:
A Dropboxaccount (it may also work with other cloudservices)

1. Install Dropbox and create it's folder where you want it to be
2. Next we setup a symbolic link to your civ savegames as described here

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

3. Open Start->Command Prompt (Eingabeaufforderung) with admin rights (Rightclick -> Run as administrator)
4. Type in the following command. The quotation marks are important

mklink /J "Path-To-Your-Dropbox\Saves" "Path-To-Your-Civ-Saves-Folder"

5. This should have created the symbolic link. You will notice that all your
savegames start appearing in your dropbox
6. Now to start the PBEM session:
a) As a host just start the PBEM session normally and share the savegame folder of your PBEM session with your players
b) As a guest give your host your email address connected with your dropbox. They will share their savegame folder with you
7. The shared savegame folder should appear in your dropbox after you accepted
8. Move the shared folder into its corresponding folder inside the dropbox/Saves folder. For example a shared PBEM Savefolder goes into the Path-To-Your-Dropbox\Saves\pbem
9. This should be it

We tested it on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Last edited:
Been doing something very similar to this for years in my 2 player games works well, not sure how well it scales. But it removes the forgot to send the email type of error that holds up games, which the one I make most often. So highly recommended system as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom