Please give me a percent.

Bigv32

Prince
I have just moved to monarch and have found that my economy is not as good as it use to be. It is taking longer to tech and I can not keep my research bar filled.

I am in the medival age, so I was wondering at what percent do you keep your tech slider. Also, how long does it usually take to research a tech.

These answers will tell me how bad my economy really is. Thanks

"It doesn't matter %"

It depends on the year and speed. I'll just give approximate beaker/turn rate at break even, which is nowhere near inclusive (bulbs, GPP, build wealth/research, etc). Better players get more than me, but you'll win emp/below no trouble and probably immortal like this:

1 AD: 40-100 BPT

500 AD: 80-200 BPT

1100 AD: 180-500+ BPT

1500 AD 300- 1000 BPT

beyond that: usually I need around 1500 on average to find a way to win.

I tend to have an economy that sits somewhere between 30-70%. At either end of that spectrum, I'm either very happy or very sad.

If I just took over a healthy chunk of a neighbor's territory, then I expect to set around 30-50% science (0-20% is okay too as long as I already have a method prepared to dig myself out of that hole). I will usually stop trying to expand around 30% science.

At 70% science, I get an itchy trigger finger and I look around for my next target. If my science slider is way up at 70%+, then I can easily afford the extra territory that my neighbors mistakenly call their own. The only question is which neighbor needs to be invaded and is my empire militarily prepared for the upcoming war?

Of course, I have also had some games (Archipelago in particular) where my slider never moved lower than 90% after I researched Code of Laws/Currency. If I have an early holy city with a shrine, enough hammers to spread my religion effectively, courthouses in most/all my cities and The Great Lighthouse, then my economy essentially manages itself and I just need to concentrate on my armies.

As TMIT said, it's not the research slider percentage, it's the amount of beakers you're producing. While converting commerce into beakers via the slider is definitely one method, it isn't the only one.

That having been said, when I get my research from commerce, I ideally try to keep my science slider at 100%, relying on merchants, great merchants, and building wealth to pay my bills.

But if I'm going with the "classic" CE, try to keep the gold slider at 40%. If I have to build all those gold multipliers in my cities, I'm going to get my hammer's worth!

50%.

But this is gold-science ratio, not slider. With some libraries and scientists you can push the research slider down while maintaining the 50-50 split.

If you are running anything close to 100% research slider, it means you can afford more cities.
If you are running anything close to 0% research slider, it means you need more workers and cottages.

"It doesn't matter %"

It depends on the year and speed. I'll just give approximate beaker/turn rate at break even, which is nowhere near inclusive (bulbs, GPP, build wealth/research, etc). Better players get more than me, but you'll win emp/below no trouble and probably immortal like this:

1 AD: 40-100 BPT

500 AD: 80-200 BPT

1100 AD: 180-500+ BPT

1500 AD 300- 1000 BPT

beyond that: usually I need around 1500 on average to find a way to win.
These estimations are fairly accurate actually. For an average game: For emperor the lower figures are enough, for deity you have to be at the high end of this scale consistently, immortal in between. That may make you think deity is impossible, not so because the ai gives far more back in trade/traderoutes and tech exchange on this level so it's actually possible to reach this high figures in research. I have played games on deity making 1000 bpt average between 1000-1500 ad, i wouldn't have made that amount ever on emperor with the same strat and the same amount of cities because we all would have been more backward.

Do these figures hold for all map sizes/game speeds? It surprises me that such a general statement could be "true" (valid?).

Is there anyone who would proffer a similar range for Espionage or Culture? (My guess is no since there would be specific reasons, like going for a culture win or using an "espionage economy" for these two.)

the optimal range is 10 percent espionage, 10 percent happiness and whatever you can run after that, which is usually 70 percent.

i refer to this method as the Venn diagram binary percentage rate flux.

Do these figures hold for all map sizes/game speeds? It surprises me that such a general statement could be "true" (valid?).

Is there anyone who would proffer a similar range for Espionage or Culture? (My guess is no since there would be specific reasons, like going for a culture win or using an "espionage economy" for these two.)
Standard, fractal i guess.

the optimal range is 10 percent espionage, 10 percent happiness and whatever you can run after that, which is usually 70 percent.

i refer to this method as the Venn diagram binary percentage rate flux.

You should probably, you know, SHOW a venn diagram if you're gonna call it that. And a venn diagram shows constants, not "flux".

I have just moved to monarch and have found that my economy is not as good as it use to be. It is taking longer to tech and I can not keep my research bar filled.

I am in the medival age, so I was wondering at what percent do you keep your tech slider. Also, how long does it usually take to research a tech.

These answers will tell me how bad my economy really is. Thanks

Typically, I keep my tech percent slider at 0% or 100%. Maybe I'll have a 50% tech slider once.

Top Bottom