Plot Capacity | Unit limit on Plot

Sorry for the late Reply...

Yes it's possible to set a special value for cities through XML.

i have one problem with this mod after 35-40 turns when i click next turn, new turn cant start, its like the game is frozen.i can go to menu, exit the game, only new turn wont start?
can u tell me what could be the problem?

I am having the same problem. The new turn won't start. I suspect it's the AI getting hung up trying to move a unit during their turn.

with a mod for AI this could be excellent but with civ 4 so near on the horizon its probably not worth it :D

hello vk,

i hope you can keep updating this mod, since im using it in my overlord2 mod, weel, trying to use it..

ive merged this mod onto my overlord2, ive made it so that you can put 10 land units on one tile, and 35-40 on a city.

it seems to go well so far, ive ran 500 turns + with auto ai, ill see how the ai is doing, this might be very well eliminate the stacks of doom, and have little stacks of doom :)

do you get stuck whem the city has unlimited plot capacity?maybe the ai is traing to train units but theres no room

im not sure where the stuck happens, i limited cities for 35, im not sure thats the cause, but it makes since where the ai have no were to move, and it gets stuck,

i guess the code needs to be a bit more sophisticated - if theres no room , allow it to move to the next free adjacent tile.

its not good to five just a tile limit, something need to be written to the situation where you dont have anywhere close to you to move, or produce.

I'm sorry guys, I don't see this getting fixed to be useable.

It's very complicated for the AI to add the restriction to one unit per tile.

Basically, imagine Civ as the board game it has it gets it roots from. Planning on where to move each unit on the limited gameboard squares is 100000000 times more complicated than just letting the pieces overflow onto gameboard's squares (or hexes).

You've got mountains and other units that create chokepoints. You know what I mean? Then, the units move every turn. Imagine getting a piece from one side of the map to the other and the calculations and recalculations and adjustments that must be made as units move and the "big picture" of the map as a whole changes. With the available routes constantly changing, pathfinding is extremely complicated in this situation.

Please note how this issue sucks for Civ 5 as well and people are saying the AI there isn't worth a hoot.

well normaly when you point a unit to move to an unexplored terrain that happens to be in another continent it moves normaly until it reaches the shore and ask for directions, so in the worse case, a fog of war would do, don't it?

This is great, can't wait to see implemented on modpacks, one thing that could make sense, the limit on the tile could be per unit type instead of any unit. Make sure workers and other non-military unit can pass without the handicap.

About the AI freezing, maybe the guys from the Better AI could implement a way, that the stops for directions and if no directions found it just wait a turn.

Crashes issues:
I want to try to solve this (if it's OK with VK?). If anyone has a save which is close to the point where the game gets stuck can you please attach it and tell me what I need to do to get it stuck so I can check this out?

AI:
I have a thought or two of how to add AI for this. It will be far from good, but it can be better than the current situation. As smeagolheart said - this is very complicated, but that doesn't mean we can't try baby steps.
I'd appreciate any ideas on the subject (think of minor changes in the AI logic which can make a big difference).

ill' tray to make a suply wagon mod with that
I'm currently working on a 'supply lines' mod, to which I intended to also add the 'supply wagon' unit...

Just curious with what your supply wagon is.

kind a stupid question ... what mod is this? Vanilla? :) I'd like to play.

I suppose but I've been hard pressed to split a stack just because of that. If anything, a massive diverse stack will still trample over everything in its path. The main problem with Civ4 is that archery units are poor offensive units (this is solved with nearly any mod that allows for Attack Support and Archer Bombard) and siege weapons...well, suck at defensive work (solved with ranged bombard and attack support in mods).

Which is why the tile limit isn't really fun for vanilla BTS.

Compared to:
Spoiler :

There's something visibly pleasing of sending several dozen stacks of units into enemy territory and having them collide with enemy units and forming a makeshift frontline. Stacks just make the game soooo.....easy. That city on the two tile island is just as easy to take as that landlocked city surrounded by plains because in can land so many troops on a single tile that I'm surprised blackholes aren't popping up all over the map during a war.

Besides, xUPT sounds like it would be fun to play in multiplayer as it takes more skill and thought instead of just lumping a ton of different units into a stack and sending it that way. That city in the picture? Took forever to take down but if I could've stacked all my units on a single tile, I would've been able to have taken half its defenses down in two turns. Gee, that's fun I suppose. I mean, certainly some players would enjoy that but I don't. Same reason why I don't enjoy the idea that if WW2 was a war in Civ4, D-Day would've taken place on only one beach and through sheer numbers, punched through the well-defended Germans with relatively little harm.

Crashes issues:
I want to try to solve this (if it's OK with VK?). If anyone has a save which is close to the point where the game gets stuck can you please attach it and tell me what I need to do to get it stuck so I can check this out?

AI:
I have a thought or two of how to add AI for this. It will be far from good, but it can be better than the current situation. As smeagolheart said - this is very complicated, but that doesn't mean we can't try baby steps.
I'd appreciate any ideas on the subject (think of minor changes in the AI logic which can make a big difference).

I'm currently working on a 'supply lines' mod, to which I intended to also add the 'supply wagon' unit...

Just curious with what your supply wagon is.

Hi Asaf, did you get any further on this? I'm not looking for a CivV solution to SoD's myself in CivIV, but i can definately see a lower cap on just how big SoD's can grow to as being a good thing to aim for. I've just seen a single SoD in my current ffh2 game with around 600 units in it!

If this approach is possible to get working that would be great, so anyone else have thoughts on the problem?

I've also come across this thread which seemed to have been abandoned, but might provide some nice cross-referencing for any clever coders that think they can crack the issue of SoD's in CivIV:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245703

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=179428

The JUnitspace: Limited Units on Tiles mod seems to have been abandoned at patch version 3.17 for Bts(so not compatable with the latest mods etc), but had another approach at this problem.

Looking at the problem in VKs Plot Capacity Modcomp, where the AI gets stuck, presumably when it can't move/place any new units it has built due to all the surrounding terrain being already full, i wonder if it would be possible to create a limit on the amount of these smaller SoD's the AI or human can build depending on other factors, like combined city production/gold perhaps or amount of cities etc? If it is possible to give the AI such build command instructions that is.

Or maybe it can be linked into some other already present 'build limiter' that the game already uses(thinking here about building types perhaps?).

I can handle SoD's of 100-200 max size but it was pretty much a game-over situation when i saw that monster of 600 approx. Also that AI player was able to keep strong city garrisons, so in effect you had to try to destroy his SoD as taking his cities would take too long and weaken your own garrisons. I just don't know how he could have built such a monster SoD! And would love to see this one big flaw in CivIV sorted :)

Looking at the problem in VKs Plot Capacity Modcomp, where the AI gets stuck, presumably when it can't move/place any new units it has built due to all the surrounding terrain being already full, i wonder if it would be possible to create a limit on the amount of these smaller SoD's the AI or human can build depending on other factors, like combined city production/gold perhaps or amount of cities etc? If it is possible to give the AI such build command instructions that is.

Or maybe it can be linked into some other already present 'build limiter' that the game already uses(thinking here about building types perhaps?).

I can handle SoD's of 100-200 max size but it was pretty much a game-over situation when i saw that monster of 600 approx. Also that AI player was able to keep strong city garrisons, so in effect you had to try to destroy his SoD as taking his cities would take too long and weaken your own garrisons. I just don't know how he could have built such a monster SoD! And would love to see this one big flaw in CivIV sorted :)

As far as I know Pie has integrated a soft cap for maximum Units in PAE. So you could maybe ask him or look in PAE for the code.

Also there is a way to limit a the number of one Unit type in the XML. So you can only build 20 Tanks as an example.

[VK], is it possible to set like 9-18/24/36 limit per tile-city with minor changes in the game?

I think if we let a considerable amount of units per tile/city, instead of just few, the AI will respond better and we will have better quality wars without being necessary to change the original gameplay.

Besides that, it is necessary to do something with new units built in full cities, to have some preocupation with: transports over the sea; airplanes based in cities; ships landed; defensive units; the possibility for a tile to hold units from more than one team simultaneously.

I would like to do it for a map that I am uploading 03/12 and the next version could have something like that.

So, my question is: can I get these results from working with your files?

:confused:

Top Bottom