• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Poland Discussions

Same. Lancers are notoriously unpopular units around here but as a complimentary piece to an army they can be useful. Sipahi is definitely that kind of complimentary piece. Hakkapeliita I'm not so sure I ever understood.

Winged Hussars however seem like they could be great. Send em in to break the up an enemy line and send em away to heal them up, only to have them come back and do it again (speculation obviously because we don't know how this perk works)

In my opinion lancers/sipahi etc. need the promotions to make them special. Without them they are really frail, but they should be build in a city with barracks+armory and maybe national epic, that way you can choose deadly promotions immediately.

Like a lancer that has open terrain bonus I and II, it's excellent to smash ranged units and cannons.

Of course promotions are always good, but it's essential to lancers (and to ranged naval units, but that's another story).

So, suppose you play your cards right (and nothing changes with BNW in regard as to how these specific buildings work), you can have Poland's UB, Barracks, Heroic Epic, Alhambra, Military Academy, Armory, Brandenburg and Total War...so that any mounted units come out at 90 XP as well as Morale and Drill 1 bonusses? (This'd obviously hinge on getting Total War (if its even in) before making the jump to anti-tank guns). That seems like some pretty awesome units right there...

By the time you get all those +xp buildings and wonders, mounted units will be obsolete. You better build a bunch before they upgrade to land ships and AT guns.

Poland really doubles down on the ponies. At least the Ducal Stables increase the output of pastures.

By the time you get all those +xp buildings and wonders, mounted units will be obsolete. You better build a bunch before they upgrade to land ships and AT guns.

Poland really doubles down on the ponies. At least the Ducal Stables increase the output of pastures.

Naturally, but well...Holland and their Sea Beggars can do this same thing. Quickly chug out a bunch and then quickly upgrade them.
Sure it costs a bunch of money but hey.

The UA allow a very early rationalism opener (with astronomy beeline for example), which is very powerful unless this tree has been nerfed (as it should imo).

Incidentally, not sure if anyone has already pointed that out, but having Vilnius on the Polish city list is going to make a lot of Lithuanians very mad. :p

It would be like putting Dublin on the English city list.

Was Dublin never on an English city list in versions before the Celts were added? It would actually surprise me if it wasn't there. Poland and Lithuania were once the same state. Poland does represent both to a degree, same as Sweden includes the time it ruled Finland and Denmark includes the time it ruled Norway.

Lithuanian fans have to ask themselves whether they would rather be represented as part of the Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania (and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) or not included at all?

Indeed. To be frank, if neither Norway nor Finland 'deserve' to be represented as individual Civs, then Lithuania definitely doesn't.

Also, re. Dublin and England - hasn't Dublin ever featured on the Viking city list? It would make more sense than the English list.

Incidentally, not sure if anyone has already pointed that out, but having Vilnius on the Polish city list is going to make a lot of Lithuanians very mad. :p

It would be like putting Dublin on the English city list.

38 millions happy vs. 3.5 million unhappy = Firaxis made its choice !

Being neither from Poland nor from Lithuania I don't have a personal stake in the issue. Yet, I do believe Vilnius should be a CS like other Baltic capitals (Riga, Tallinn). Although Lithuania's history is closely related to Poland's fate during the Grand Duchy's period, language, (earlier/later) history, religion and institutions clearly set the two peoples/civilizations apart. IMHO it would be like including Prague or Budapest as Austrian cities.
I'm quite happy to see Poland as a CIV though :)

Well, I'm Polish, so the last thing you can expect of me is being anti-Polish.

Vilnius actually never was a part of Poland, per se (at least not during the period you guys are referring to) - Poland-Lithuania was a dual state, with Krakow (and later Warsaw) as the capital of Poland and Vilnius as the capital of Lithuania (it's like, say, Edinburgh was a capital of Scotland, rather than an English city, despite Scotland being ruled by a monarch who resided in London).

I also know that a lot of Lithuanians view this period quite differently from Poles (i.e. Poles think this was a cooperation, whereas many Lithuanians think it was more of an occupation).

On top of that, Casimir never ruled Lithuania - he was the last King of the Piast dynasty that was purely limited to Poland.

If anything, a city like Lviv (which I believe is currently on the Russian list) would make much more sense as a Polish city, as it was ethnically mainly Polish for most of its history, whereas Vilnius has always been dominated by Lithuanians.

Being neither from Poland nor from Lithuania I don't have a personal stake in the issue. Yet, I do believe Vilnius should be a CS like other Baltic capitals (Riga, Tallinn). Although Lithuania's history is closely related to Poland's fate during the Grand Duchy's period, language, (earlier/later) history, religion and institutions clearly set the two peoples/civilizations apart. IMHO it would be like including Prague or Budapest as Austrian cities.
I'm quite happy to see Poland as a CIV though :)

Yeah, Prague and Budapest are good examples as Austria-Hungary was also a union of three (or more) kingdoms - Austria, Bohemia, Hungary etc.

Furthermore, if we assume that the demo is not just a set-up but the cities have been created according to the city list, then having Vilnius (and Łódź which is a relatively modern industrial city, which arose in 19th century) founded before such historically Polish cities as Wroclaw (Breslau), Poznan or Gdansk (Danzig) would be really silly.

Furthermore, if we assume that the demo is not just a set-up but the cities have been created according to the city list, then having Vilnius (and Łódź which is a relatively modern industrial city, which arose in 19th century) founded before such historically Polish cities as Wroclaw (Breslau), Poznan or Gdansk (Danzig) would be really silly.

Russians have St. Petersburg (established by Peter the Great) right before Novgorod (first capital of Rus'). I think 900 years of difference doesn't mean anything for Firaxis.

Top Bottom