1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: What is the worst Natural Wonder to settle?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Atinuviel, Oct 8, 2013.

?

What is the worst natural wonder to settle?

1. The Barrington Crater (+2Gold, +3 Science)

54 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. Grand Mesa (+2Hammer, +3 Gold)

117 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Great Barrier Reef (+2Food, +1Hammer, +1Gold, +1 Science)

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Krakatoa (+5 Science)

40 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Mt. Fuji (+2Gold, +3Culture, +3Faith)

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  6. Old Faithful (+2Science, +3 Happiness)

34 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Rock of Gibraltar (+2Food, +5Gold)

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Cerro de Petosi (+10 Gold)

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  9. El Dorado (+5 Culture. 500G for first discovery)

8 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. Fountain of Youth (+10 Happiness. Double Recovery)

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  11. Mt. Kailash (+6 Faith, +2 Happiness)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Mt Sinai (+8 Faith)

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  13. Sri Pada (+2 Food, +4 Faith, +2 Happiness)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Ulura (+2 Food, +6 Faith)

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  15. King Solomon's Mine (+6 Hammer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Lake Victoria (+6 Food)

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  17. Mt. Klimanjaro (+3 Food, +2 Culture. Altitude Training)

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Cyanfunk

Cyanfunk The Lion

El Dorado's actual effect is to give you a free settler, can't see why people would vote against that.

2. NoOneImportant

NoOneImportant Warlord

Because it's all about the worst natural wonder to settle. You get the gold for just finding it, so it's completely irrelevant.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Grand Mesa is IMO the worst NW to settle.

4. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

most of Vanilla NW.

5. Teagen

Teagen Warlord

Grand Mesa is super weak. You can improve most regular tiles with workers/buildings/techs to beat what the grand mesa gives you, let alone how much better Resource tiles are then it.

At least the other weak NW's give science or faith or something regular tiles "can't" give. Grand Mesa is just a desert hill tile with +3 gold.

6. Jampine

Jampine Warlord

I voted Barringter below the grand mesa, since the latter tends to actually be in a workable place from time to time. Oh, and I'm looking at you, Krakatoa..... has anyone here actually been able to work it before? I haven't.

Also, for old faithful, well I guess you could say it.... blows.. HOHOHO :lol:

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Grand Mesa is just terrible. I'd have trouble justifying settling it even as Spain.

8. Atinuviel

Atinuviel Chieftain

Well, 4 Hammers make it equivalent to a late game mine, and the extra 6 gold is quite a bit early game. Still one of the worst I guess, but I'd say it's definitely worth it to settle it as Spain. Especially if you have One with Nature.

9. sendos

sendos Immortal

For me, the order is: old faithful, grand mesa, barringer crater then gibraltar. The rest are decent natural wonders. I understand why Krakatoa is voted down because I often see it spawn in the middle of nowhere, where it can't be worked at all.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

It needs above average food in the surrounding area. Otherwise it's still arguably worse than a mined gold/silver/gems hill since it provides no happiness.

11. Nickbonista

Nickbonista Chieftain

The fact we're trying to justify settling it with SPAIN shows how bad it is, 99% of games aren't with Spain, so as people have said, a mined luxury is better

12. georgie

georgie Warlord

Nail on the head. Grand Mesa is about as much of a "Wonder" as a luxury resource.

At least the other 3 main vote getters give you something that you can't get from a tile in the wild :c5science:

13. Atinuviel

Atinuviel Chieftain

Fair enough. I guess I just like at least seeing some tangible benefits with Grand Mesa. (MORE gold! Now you can actually build that granary in 10 turns as opposed to 400000 turns!) Whereas with Old Faithful I rarely see the tech turn-count even dropping at all when I switch to it.

14. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Even then, El Dorado is not that bad. 5 culture is quite a large amount early game in BNW.

15. darden

darden Chieftain

Krakatoa... I've never, ever seen it spawn anywhere but the dead middle of the ocean.

16. DarthSheldonPhD

DarthSheldonPhD Warlord

OK - take any old hill tile and put a trading post on it (2H, 1G). add the bonus for researching economics (+1G), finish commerce SP (+1G), and the Free Thought SP (+1B). that trading post on a hill generates 2H/3G/1B, everything Grand Mesa has plus one science. The natural wonder is outclassed by any hill tile, and mind you this is without any resource.

For the haters of Baringer, bear in mind that if you can get Petra in the city with it, it's 1F/1P/2G/3B, not too shabby...

And for the haters of Old Faithful, how often are your cities utilizing all 24 tiles in a 3 tile radius? What if one of those tiles that you weren't using added 3 happiness to your empire, just shy of an extra luxury? Not too shabby either...

17. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

No, pretty sure that's not true - if I recall properly, the Barringer Crater counts as a mountain, not as a desert tile (and besides, it can spawn in Tundra.)

18. Kintara

Kintara Warlord

No, it's happened for me. It can be both, apparently.

19. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

So if Barringer can count as a mountain, does that mean you can build Machu Picchu or Neuschwanstein on top of it? Or on Krakatoa, Mt. Fuji, Mt.Sinai, Sri Pada or Mt. Kailash?

20. Kintara

Kintara Warlord

You can build an observatory, and you may have been able to do this with those wonders at one point. But at this point I heard that it doesn't count as a mountain for the purposes of wonders that require them.