Poll: What new civilizations from the Americas would you like to see in the future?

What 5 never before seen civilizations from the Americas would you like to see in the future?

• Navajo

Votes: 25 32.9%
  • (Gran) Colombia

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Argentina

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Mexico

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Muisca

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Haida

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Tlinglit

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Choctaw

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Cherokee

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Creek

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Chikasaw

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Seminole

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Shawnee

• Powhatan

• Apache

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Tupi

• Guarini

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Taino

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Comanche

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Pueblo

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • Hopi

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Chumash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Olmec

• Zapotec

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Mixtec

• Cuba

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Wampanoag

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Pirate Republic of Nassau

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Inuit

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Other (Explain in your post)

• Total voters
Since there are polls about what we would like to see in other regions of the world, I decided to make one and I chose the Americas because it would be the easiest for me to come up with 30 choices.

I have a variety of popular choices that I have seen from post-colonial nations to early Mesoamerican civilizations to various tribes and confederacies. You can take the pirate one seriously if you want.

There are some choices on here that may be difficult to become full fledged Civs such as lack of leaders or written languages or controversies in the past, but that's why everybody can make their case. This doesn't need to be for just Civ 6 but can be for Civ VII and future installments.

I chose Argentina, because we have three former British colonies in the game, I think it would be a negligence to skip a Spanish colonial nation. I would have included Argentina before Canada.

I also chose Taino, this is my first choice for a Caribbean civ. It could work as an island civilization as a mix of Indonesia and Maori. And Anacaona would be an interesting female leader. There is a mod of this on Steam that I use in my games.

I voted for Navajo, I confess I don't know much about North American native civilizations, but this one seems interesting to me. I wouldn't complain if Apache were included in place of this.

Colombia would be my next choice, mainly because of Simon Bolivar. I would not complain if this were included in place of Argentina. Basically, I think either Argentina or Colombia would be interesting choices.

Finally, I chose Muisca, probably the most interesting native civilization in South America after the Incas. I was happy with the inclusion of Mapuche because it made some people learn more about pre-Columbian South America, as many people felt that South America was all about Incas and Brazil...

Some notes:

I would like to have Tubi in the game, but I don't see this happening, the devs must think that Brazil represents them in some way.
Olmecs is another civilization I would love to have in the game, but will not be included for so early due to lack of information about them.
As I said above, I don't know much about North American native civs, but something like Cherokee, Haida and Powhatan would be interesting.
Finally, a Paraguay/Guarani mix could work, although I think it's a low priority, it's a country strongly mixed with Guarani culture and has starred in two of the most important wars in South America: Paraguayan War and Chaco War.

I chose Argentina, because we have three former British colonies in the game, I think it would be a negligence to skip a Spanish colonial nation. I would have included Argentina before Canada.

I also chose Taino, this is my first choice for a Caribbean civ. It could work as an island civilization as a mix of Indonesia and Maori. And Anacaona would be an interesting female leader. There is a mod of this on Steam that I use in my games.

I voted for Navajo, I confess I don't know much about North American native civilizations, but this one seems interesting to me. I wouldn't complain if Apache were included in place of this.

Colombia would be my next choice, mainly because of Simon Bolivar. I would not complain if this were included in place of Argentina. Basically, I think either Argentina or Colombia would be interesting choices.

Finally, I chose Muisca, probably the most interesting native civilization in South America after the Incas. I was happy with the inclusion of Mapuche because it made some people learn more about pre-Columbian South America, as many people felt that South America was all about Incas and Brazil...

Some notes:

I would like to have Tubi in the game, but I don't see this happening, the devs must think that Brazil represents them in some way.
Olmecs is another civilization I would love to have in the game, but will not be included for so early due to lack of information about them.
As I said above, I don't know much about North American native civs, but something like Cherokee, Haida and Powhatan would be interesting.
Finally, a Paraguay/Guarani mix could work, although I think it's a low priority, it's a country strongly mixed with Guarani culture and has starred in two of the most important wars in South America: Paraguayan War and Chaco War.

I would be alright with Argentina as long as the leader was NOT one of the Perons, like many advocate, or just assume should be the case. San Juan or Yrigoyen would be far better choices in my mind. The Muisca would be my apex choice for South America, and their competitor for space, Gran Colombia, near the bottom for me. The Nazca would be cool as well, but they have the problem, along with the Ancient Minoans, Olmecs, and Harappians, having no attested leaders by name or any credible biographical information. The Pirate Republic of Nassau could maybe be developed along similar lines to the Pirate civilization from the Alien Crossfire expansion to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (I don't know if anyone here is familiar with that ancient product).

So I voted for
Navajo: I would love to seem them in this game especially since we are in need of another Native American civ. They would definitely be my first choice. They represent an area we haven't been yet (the southwest U.S.)in terms of natives) and can have a substantial list of names of settlements to use since they adopted a non nomadic lifestyle, for the most part.
(Gran) Colombia: Yes this would be just for Simon Bolivar, but this leader effectively shaped South America into what it is today. I wouldn't mind seeing this eventually and we haven't had a Spanish speaking Civ other than Spain yet.
Argentina: For almost the same reasons as Colmbia above. I wouldn't necessarily need both in the same game, but one for Civ 6 and one in future installments would be good. I can't think of another "leader" more iconic than Eva Peron and would definitely be a more modern rival for Brazil.
Tinglit: I've grown to kind of like the idea of including a PNW culture and I think between the two most common ones mentioned I would have to go with the Tlinglit over the Haida. Totem poles will eventually arrive again.
Wampanoag: Another northeast confederacy that I find interesting that could serve as a replacement for the Iroquois, if they don't happen to return in some games.

I didn't want to leave native South America out and besides the Muisca the Tupi and the Guarini are the ones that I see talked about the most so I went with them plus I don't know much about native South America as North America, so we can help each other out with that. Honestly I never heard of the Mapuche until they came in this game.
As for the Olmecs, yes they might not make it in but that won't stop some people from voting for them.

The Pirate Republic of Nassau could maybe be developed along similar lines to the Pirate civilization from the Alien Crossfire expansion to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (I don't know if anyone here is familiar with that ancient product).
The only reason I decided to put it out there is it was an interesting idea I thought of after I watched Black Sails.

I voted for the Taino, Cuba, Mexico, Colombia, and the Comanche. I would like to see a Caribbean focus, Mexico to represent modern Middle America, Colombia to represent modern Southern America, and the Comanche to add to the representation of Northern America.

I notice a lot of votes for Gran Colombia but, frankly, to be fair, while Simon Bolivar himself was a very interesting historical figure in his own right, I honestly don't believe the nation built around him was, comparatively, nearly as historically interesting as he, himself, was. He practically cursed the nation he had built on his death bed with his last recorded words.

I'm a paticular fan of a Taíno civ, they are the most important representative we can get from the Caribbean, imo. Their culture is believed to be related to Mesoamerica (and the Arawak of South America), and they even had a ball game called batey.

Taíno could start on an island with 6 tiles and districts in coastal tiles would generate +1 food, culture, production, gold and faith for each adjacent coast. To encourage them to build on islands, coastal city centers would receive extra culture, food, production and faith for each adjacent coast, as well as loyalty. They could get into the ocean earlier. Embarked units would receive +2 movements and fishing boats in fish would give +2 gold and +1 food.

Yucayeques were villages, whose central plazas were held games, festivals and rituals, this could be a unique district that would replace neighborhood and comes earlier, it would always grant +4 housing, +1 culture, +1 faith and +1 amenity and it would unlock a project called areitos, granting faith and culture per turn, and when completed would give a +75 boost of faith. Areitos were ceremonies for the ancestors performed in the central squares of these villages.
Bohios (circular buildings where the population lived) could be another option, this unique improvement could grant housing, food and culture, besides loyalty if built adjacent to the city center.

Macana could be their UU, I would put them as substitutes for swordman. It could gain combat strength on coastal terrain.
Kanoa could be another option, it would replace Galley and would have three charges to work coastal resources.
It would be interesting if a civilization had a unique religious unity, bohiques were healers that adviced caciques. They could be bought with faith, they would have 2 spreading charges and 3 healing charges, which could heal religious and military units.

Finally, my choice of leader would be Anacaona, she was the cacique (chief) of the Taíno island of Bohio (La Española), after the death of her brother. It is said that she stood out for her intelligence, beauty and talent for poetry. She was initially receptive to the arrival of the Spanish, but this changed until they began to abuse the natives, especially women. After some deals, ambushes and conflicts with the Spanish, she died hanged in Santo Domingo.
I can see a militaristic/defensive bonus related to resistence for her. When a Taíno city is invaded by other civilizations, two Taíno melee units appear nearby the city. Governors established in Taíno cities invaded by other civilizations grant +6 loyalty per turn in the first 10 turns, instead of +8. Also, breaking promises against her would generate twice as many grievances, and she would earn twice as many diplomatic favors keeping a promise.
She would hate leaders who break promises or declare wars against friends.

Later I will try to make a synthesis of Tupi, Muisca and Guarani/Paraguay.

Last edited:
As a Taino-descended Borinqueo, I gotta go with the Taino; that helps fill the 'islands' part of the 'new world' on most maps. I'm not so knowledgeable about North America, but Colombia and Argentina will help fill out South America; Argentina alone if the 'Inca' fill out 'Colombia's' space.

My votes:

Muisca: They were a powerful and wealthy confederacy, mined emeralds, and even impressed the Spanish with their sophistication. For the people who care about TSL, they'd also fill a slot in northern South America.

Tlingit: Perhaps the most sophisticated culture in pre-Columbian North America, their cultural heritage was second to none. Despite being hunter-gatherers they practiced a sedentary lifestyle and had a complex social structure more typical of an agricultural society. They could defy stereotypes as a major CV-focused civ, and the abundance of the PNW would translate into some really fun game mechanics IMO. Also linguistically Tlingit is a lovely language. (BTW, the name is misspelled in the poll.)

Choctaw: Of the Southeastern civs, the Choctaw have the most promise as a civ IMO. While the Creek and Cherokee were probably wealthier, the Creek and Cherokee suffered from really bad leadership. The Choctaw, on the other hand, have a number of really compelling leaders, probably none more than Pushmataha. His contemporary Mushulatubbee ran for Congress to represent Mississippi (though the Choctaw were forcibly removed to Indian Territory before the election).

Powhatan: The greatest draw for the Powhatan is Chief Powhatan himself. He was powerful, cunning, and charismatic. In a single generation he forged one of the most powerful confederacies in North America through conquest and through diplomacy. I believe it was Governor Radcliffe who said of him that he was the equal of any European monarch in majesty.

Mixtec: I'd love to see someone new from Mesoamerica, and the Mixtec are a great candidate. They were skilled artisans as well as warriors, and they have a great leader candidate in Eight Deer Jaguar Claw (who deserves an award just for his awesome name :p ).

Argentina alone if the 'Inca' fill out 'Colombia's' space.
...The Inca are well south of Columbia.

My votes:

Muisca: They were a powerful and wealthy confederacy, mined emeralds, and even impressed the Spanish with their sophistication. For the people who care about TSL, they'd also fill a slot in northern South America.

Tlingit: Perhaps the most sophisticated culture in pre-Columbian North America, their cultural heritage was second to none. Despite being hunter-gatherers they practiced a sedentary lifestyle and had a complex social structure more typical of an agricultural society. They could defy stereotypes as a major CV-focused civ, and the abundance of the PNW would translate into some really fun game mechanics IMO. Also linguistically Tlingit is a lovely language. (BTW, the name is misspelled in the poll.)

Choctaw: Of the Southeastern civs, the Choctaw have the most promise as a civ IMO. While the Creek and Cherokee were probably wealthier, the Creek and Cherokee suffered from really bad leadership. The Choctaw, on the other hand, have a number of really compelling leaders, probably none more than Pushmataha. His contemporary Mushulatubbee ran for Congress to represent Mississippi (though the Choctaw were forcibly removed to Indian Territory before the election).

Powhatan: The greatest draw for the Powhatan is Chief Powhatan himself. He was powerful, cunning, and charismatic. In a single generation he forged one of the most powerful confederacies in North America through conquest and through diplomacy. I believe it was Governor Radcliffe who said of him that he was the equal of any European monarch in majesty.

Mixtec: I'd love to see someone new from Mesoamerica, and the Mixtec are a great candidate. They were skilled artisans as well as warriors, and they have a great leader candidate in Eight Deer Jaguar Claw (who deserves an award just for his awesome name :p ).

...The Inca are well south of Columbia.

I'd actually like to hear your thoughts on my response to the popularity among posters of Gran Colombia that I made two posts above.

I'd actually like to hear your thoughts on my response to the popularity among posters of Gran Colombia that I made two posts above.
I think it's well-known that I'm rather opposed to the inclusion of any postcolonial nations, even the US. I don't know much about Gran Colombia specifically, however, beyond knowing Simon Bolivar as a name.

Five votes wasn't enough. I'd be happy with quite a few of these in some form or another. The only one I feel would really help complete VI would be the Navajo/Apache, but a Caribbean or PNW or Colombian civ would be great additions. And then after that maybe the Guarani or Inuit. And I still think Montezuma should be an alternate Mexico leader and would support some sort of Tupi-Guarani-Brazil hybrid if it were feasible.

All good things. I'm half hoping we get a ten or twelve civ expack so that the Americas could get three new civs instead of the usual two.

(also, you missed Hawaii and arguably Rapa Nui if we want to be weirdly inclusive, but I'm not too invested in either)

Oceanian civilizations are "missed" in a thread about the Americas?

That is why I did not put them in since geographically they are a part of Oceania, even if they are politically under the control of the U.S. and Chile today.

I'll gladly participate in this! Here are my votes:

- Tlingit: Easily my favorite choice for a native North American civ, I'd put them above the Navajo and even the Iroquois (though I do love and want both) due to a number of reasons. Their architecture and art style is the most distinctive one of any native group north of Mesoamerica. Crest and totem poles are (in addition with tipis) are a common Native American structure in the mind of the general public and this is a civ that could definitely utilize them. Lacking agriculture and relying on fishing and hunting to feed their cities makes them unique among almost all civs outside of the PNW. They have a couple of leaders with colorful personalities and appearances. I know some people like the Haida but so far I think the leaders and history of the Tlingit are a bit more interesting. They were a regional power with influence from Alaska to the Californias. I've even seen some sources that say that the Tlingit had a 'trade empire' that was second in size only to the Inca (@Zaarin I don't know if you would know more about this but I would think that the Cree or Iroquois would've had at least equally numerous trade routes but I'm not sure).
- Muisca: A very notable and strong group that would be my next choice for a native South American civ. They were so wealthy with emeralds and gold that they were the origin of the El Dorado myths. Nemequene would be a fun leader and I'd be very surprised if his code wouldn't be either his ability or agenda.
- Mixtec: We should have more Mesoamericans and the Mixtec would be a welcome addition. I definitely agree that Eight Deer Jaguar Claw would be a cool leader.
- Argentina: I wouldn't mind a Spanish colony and Argentina would be a fine one since its a pretty successful modern nation. I wouldn't mind Eva but I'd like to see Yrigoyen or Jose de San Martin.
- Powhatan: A strong confederacy with a strong leader in Wahunsenacawh which many in the public know of thanks to Pocahontas (is it weird that I kinda want to see her as a unique governor like the diplomat Amani?).

Other votes I'd make:

- Other (Purepecha aka Tarascan): The second largest empire in Mesoamerica and is known for its use of metal in tools and weapons.
- Navajo: Unless we know for sure if the Hopi or another Pueblo group like the Acoma could be brought into the game, the Navajo are the best option in the Southwest and would be quite unique for their desert farming and hogans.
- Zapotec: Another strong Mesoamerican option.
- (Gran) Colombia: I'd prefer the Muisca but I wouldn't mind have Colombia in with Bolivar in command. Perhaps the Muisca and Colombia could be the New World version of the Byzantines and Ottomans!?
- Choctaw: I think they'd be the best choice for the Southeast. Pushmataha would be a very cool leader to see (he was as stylish as he was well-spoken).
- Wampanoag: Most well known for being part of the Thanksgiving holiday but regardless are a strong group that could be an option for the Northeast.
- Comanche: If we had to have a plains tribe I'd pick them. Being able to push back the United States and Mexico is undoubtedly impressive.

As much as I like the Chumash and think that they are the best option from California, I gotta put my California bias aside and admit that they probably wouldn't provide anything that the stronger and more notable PNW tribes couldn't provide. I'd probably prefer the Chinook, Nookta, and Haida before the Chumash. Perhaps one of their cities could be a city-state?

That is why I did not put them in since geographically they are a part of Oceania, even if they are politically under the control of the U.S. and Chile today.

Yes, because then, by the same logic, we'd have to put Tahiti and the New Caledonian Kanaks as European civ's, because France them controls it today, and I notice no one's had the appetite to do that.

I still think Montezuma should be an alternate Mexico leader
Mexico has not been any better to its indigenous population than the US has (in some cases it's been worse), and I don't see anyone clamoring for Hiawatha as an alternate leader for the US.

Mexico has not been any better to its indigenous population than the US has (in some cases it's been worse)

Hence, the roots of the Zapatista rebellion that has been going on for the last 40 years now in Southern Mexico.

We have some fairly interesting results at this point. Argentina just edges out above Colombia and the Navajo for the top spot. The Inuit, Mexico, and Cherokee are also a bit higher than I was expecting.

Top Bottom