Poll: whats the most usless wonder.

I'm just reading through Dark Phantom's thread now. Very interesting.

Altough I noticed he doesn't make any comment about when wonders clash with your trait. Indeed, he even make precisely the opposite claim:

"However, if I am playing a militaristic game, planning to use military force for expansion on any non-Archipelago map, then certainly Sun Tzu’s Art of War [...] comes pretty damn close [to being a must-have wonder]."

The benefits to building Sun Tzu's when you're Militaristic are much lessened compared to all other traits. Why negate the advantage of being able to build cheap barracks? Better to spend the shields else where IMHO.

Fried Egg said:
Why negate the advantage of being able to build cheap barracks? Better to spend the shields else where IMHO.
The advantage of the military trait is not cheap barracks. It is the higher chance of promoting your units in combat and the higher chance of generating Great Leaders from victorious elite wins.

Thus as a militaristic civ, you should be at war most of the time. And it is tremendeously helpful to have barracks in each conquered city to heal your troops in one turn.

tao
The advantage of the military trait is not cheap barracks. It is the higher chance of promoting your units in combat and the higher chance of generating Great Leaders from victorious elite wins.
That's the other advantage, yes. But barracks are so cheap to build when you're militaristic, the benefit of getting a free one by building this wonder are much lessened.

Fried Egg said:
tao

That's the other advantage, yes. But barracks are so cheap to build when you're militaristic, the benefit of getting a free one by building this wonder are much lessened.

If you're playing a militaristic civ, are at war, and are successful , you'd be constantly capturing enemy cities, right? If you've got Sun Tzu's then those cities will immediately have barracks and you're able to heal your units in one turn before pressing on, capturing still more! Sun Tzu rocks for militaristic civs!

I concede it still has it's uses...But personally, I would prioritise my resources elsewhere at that point...

On the other hand, I rarely play militaristic civs and so this is one of my priority wonders...

Fried Egg said:
The greatest benefit of the cheaper mili barracks is mostly significant before Sun Tzu, where the shields of your core cities are more important. Around the time of Sun Tzu you will be capturing fully corrupted cities which benefit much from free barracks.
tao said:
It is the higher chance of promoting your units in combat and the higher chance of generating Great Leaders from victorious elite wins.
Militaristic do not increase the chance of MGL's appearing. It does however increase the number of elite promotions which in turn results in more attempts to generate MGL's.

i hate the great libary...im hopefully 2 techs ahead..not behind..and it cost so damn much at a point in the game you should be expanding or building infastructure...i think ive only every got one free tech from it.

i dont understand why so many people hate longevity. i rarely get it on time to be useful since my games are typically over by then but other than that i think it is an excellent wonder. as for that thing about cities bouncing up and down in population that really doesnt happen to me in very many cities.

now one wonder i rarely find worthwhile to build is the small wonder battlefield medicine.

My ratings on all of the wonders (out of 10).

The Colossus = 6
Copernicus Observatory = 8
Cure for Cancer = 2
The Great Library = 4
The Great Lighthouse = 6
The Great Wall = 1
The Hanging Gardens = 4
The Hoover Dam = 8
The Internet = 10
JS Bach Cathedral = 7
Knights Templar = 5
Leonardo's Workshop = 10
Longevity = 3
Magellan's Voyage = 4
Manhatten Project = 1
Mausoleum of Mausollos = 6
Newton's University = 8
The Oracle = 2
The Pyramids = 10
SETI Program = 7
Shakesphere's Theater = 9
Smith's Trading Co. = 8
Statue of Zeus = 8
Sun Tzu's Art of War = 10
Temple of Artemis = 5 (if built with an SGL = 8.5)
Theory of Evolution = 10
The United Nations = 4
Universal Suffrage = 6
Sistine Chaple = 8.5

How could Smith's be only an 8? It is such a money saver. The ability to get money increasing improvements without maintainence saves you sooo much money, and it you still get the revenue of increased commerce.

Bluemofia said:
How could Smith's be only an 8? It is such a money saver. The ability to get money increasing improvements without maintainence saves you sooo much money, and it you still get the revenue of increased commerce.

because i feel that it's as useful as copernicus and newtons, which also got 8's.

Theoden
The greatest benefit of the cheaper mili barracks is mostly significant before Sun Tzu, where the shields of your core cities are more important. Around the time of Sun Tzu you will be capturing fully corrupted cities which benefit much from free barracks.
I can see how this is useful, but it's not that useful.

I mean, why is a barracks in a newly captured city useful? Presumably so you can heal your injured units ASAP and carry on attacking. However, I find that I can't move my troops on that quickly anyway because they're needed to quell resistance. By the time resistance has ended, the injured units are usually healed anyway. And then I can easilly rush a barracks if I still need it because it's so cheap (being militaristic).

Having a free barracks there right away isn't that useful. I would rather have concentrated on building Leonado's, or simply pumping out more troops instead which would be of far greater use.

Just try to put obsolet unit for quelling... You hurt the time of war seriously if your offensive attack have to quell too :-o

sorky said:
Just try to put obsolet unit for quelling... You hurt the time of war seriously if your offensive attack have to quell too :-o
If I have any obsolete units left hanging around, they are usually too slow getting to the newly captured cities to be of much use. By the time they get there, the resistance has ended and my units are fully healed, even without an automatic barracks.

Hey Dudes and Dudettes.
These are my five favourite Wonders in order.

1)The Pyramids
2)Sun Tzu Art of War
3)Theory of Eveloution (escuse my spelling)
4)Smiths Trading Co.
5)The Hover dam

Oh and you guys are probably wondering where Lenardo's WS. Well it is my number 6 favourite wonder but it just missed the cut.

Top Bottom