[R&F] Poll: Which Governors Are You Most Looking Forward To?

Which governors are you most looking forawrd to?

• Total voters
He's going to be incredibly annoying if the AI uses him intelligently !!!

AI... Intelligent... Good one :lol:

I think we'll be able to use him semi-offensibly. Just move him into the last City you just captured (which takes only 3 turns).
You'll not only stabilize its loyalty, but also have a moving fortress with +5 combat strenght and 2 attacks.
Any unit your enemies might possibly have left after their first City fell will melt in Victors shadow.

Eh, I don't think so unless the war is incredibly drawn out. 3 turns during wartime is a lot, and you have to rebuild walls in the city for the double attack (and occupied cities have poor production)

I doubt I'd ever use Victor.

Amani seems okay. I think her opening abilities are much stronger and more likely for me to boost her with than her later abilities. Promoter I'd only use for keeping down on rebellions from capital cities that I take, because that gets annoying.

Moksha I admit makes religion much more likely for me to invest resources into. But just like all things with religion, it's optional, so all of his abilities could just be ignored and you can get arguably better abilities from different governors.

Magnus seems very situational. Some of his abilities seems very powerful in certain circumstances, but in others, the ability is a waste. I can see a warmonger like myself rushing to Black Marketeer immediately to prevent the need to find Iron. I can see an expansionist spam settlers in a high hammer city without having to lose population growing it. I can see Industrialist being very strong in pumping out units in cities with lots of strategic resources. But if you're not harvesting, settling, or building units, well, not too useful, is it? I think it's funny that his final promotion is just to roll back IZ range to its vanilla state too.

Liang's extra builder charge at the start is okay, and would lend well into creating cities specifically pumping out builders in the early game. The 30% production in Infrastructure -> Zoning Commissioner seems incredibly value in boosting new cities, but slightly less useful later when your cities can produce fine on their own.

Pingala straight up comes off as a governor you put in your capital and never move him out of there. Connoisseur/Researcher -> Grants seems like a no-brainer for any large capital.

Reyna honestly, to me, seems only worth it if you pump her abilities to the max. The ability to buy districts is nice, but it's a really weird bonus to give because of the weird district cost formula in this game. Curator is fine, but only in one specific victory condition. Tax Collector seems like it would likely give you less GPT than the abilities preceding it, which is weird.

So if I was to rank the governors in general, just based on what I'm seeing, I'd go (from most likely for me to use to least):

1. Pingala
2. Magnus
3. Liang
4. Amani
5. Reyna
6. Moksha
7. Victor

Last edited:
But if you're not harvesting, settling, or building units

?? then you aren't playing Civilization 6 ! :crazyeye:

Magnus with the 100% chop bonus and 30% settler bonus (on top of the 50% policy card) without losing population. Just crazy powerful. You can get all this before Political Philosophy and get some crazy settler spam going. Added to the change where they are starting civs farther apart should mean there is plenty of room to settle.

Last edited:
?? then you aren't playing Civilization 6 ! :crazyeye:

Magnus with the 100% chop bonus and 30% settler bonus (on top of the 50% policy card) without losing population. Just crazy powerful. You can get all this before Political Philosophy and get some crazy settler spam going. Added to the change where they are starting civs farther apart should mean there is plenty of room to settle.

What I was referring to is that there are times (mid-game and forward) where I personally wouldn't benefit from Magnus. There is always a point when there's no more reasonable places to settle or build additional units (as you can just upgrade them, or you already have the strategic resource making Magnus unnecessarily). I personally don't often harvest. but I guess late game Magnus is great for harvesting and also would be great for the Vertical Integration bonus, especially if you're going for a science victory.

But what I'm really trying to say is that, whereas Magnus' abilities have times in the game where the bonuses aren't being utilized (settling during mid-game for example), Pingala's best abilities never have a single turn where her best abilities aren't valuable, which is why I personally would feel that in rating all of the governors, Pingala slightly edges out over Magnus.

Victor the Castellan has more votes than Moksha the Cardinal now. I'm glad my comment helped him get votes. :p

What I was referring to is that there are times (mid-game and forward) where I personally wouldn't benefit from Magnus. There is always a point when there's no more reasonable places to settle or build additional units (as you can just upgrade them, or you already have the strategic resource making Magnus unnecessarily). I personally don't often harvest. but I guess late game Magnus is great for harvesting and also would be great for the Vertical Integration bonus, especially if you're going for a science victory.

But what I'm really trying to say is that, whereas Magnus' abilities have times in the game where the bonuses aren't being utilized (settling during mid-game for example), Pingala's best abilities never have a single turn where her best abilities aren't valuable, which is why I personally would feel that in rating all of the governors, Pingala slightly edges out over Magnus.

Chopping/Harvesting is very overpowered - both to kick start your early empire and later to rush build spaceports/projects/anything else. To the point where many folks here feel its an exploit. But I'm afraid once I got hooked, the chopping bug its hard to go back! :crazyeye: (Teddy never likes me!). I really hope they nerf chopping/overflow.

Vertical Integration is actually Magnus' least useful bonus. Industrial Zones/buildings are over priced and don't provide a good return on investment. A good argument can be made for never building them, but I like to have 1 to 3 depending on the size of my empire so that most cities can get the factory boost. But its not worth putting them down in all cities so Vertical Integration wouldn't do anything.

Pingala is good - don't get me wrong - but his abilities don't help the early game (you need a pretty good size city for the 20% science/culture bonus to mean much). And its a bit later in the game when the district buildings get built. He really helps a large city.

Actually Pingala and Reyna are really great for playing a tall game which is nice to see (since Civ6 favors wide so strongly).

I was looking at the R&F Civics tree they showed us to get more information about Governors.
It looks like we will have to be pretty choosy. There are only 13 governor titles on the civics tree and three of those are at the end (plus Future Civic repeating if you research it multiple times).

Ancient: 2
Classical: 2
Medieval: 2
Renaissance: 0
Industrial: 2
Modern: 2
Atomic: 0
Information: 3+

Government district: 4 (1 for the district and 1 for each building - can't see when the buildings are available)

Only 6 plus the government district before Industrial.

The addition of Governors is a significant bonus to any civilizations that are good at culture. They will get all the benefits sooner.

I was looking at the R&F Civics tree they showed us to get more information about Governors.
It looks like we will have to be pretty choosy. There are only 13 governor titles on the civics tree and three of those are at the end (plus Future Civic repeating if you research it multiple times).

Ancient: 2
Classical: 2
Medieval: 2
Renaissance: 0
Industrial: 2
Modern: 2
Atomic: 0
Information: 3+

Government district: 4 (1 for the district and 1 for each building - can't see when the buildings are available)

Only 6 plus the government district before Industrial.

The addition of Governors is a significant bonus to any civilizations that are good at culture. They will get all the benefits sooner.

I've cross referenced your math with my theorycrafting and have concluded that I'm always going to be two or three governor titles short of what I want (even accounting for the four obtained from the world wonder). That's going to conflict with my OCD-like tendencies in an annoying way. :c5unhappy:

I think it is whenever you reach the next tier of government choices on the civics tree. Might be worth it for finally going toward monarchy even if you're not going to choose it long term. So not unlocked at any certain civic with the exception of all the tier ones at Political Philosophy even though they aren't shown.

I'm probably going to force myself to build the Audience Chamber (Government Plaza building that provides +4 housing and +1 amenity in cities with a governor) since I've been hoping they'd make Tall play more viable, but the idea of pairing Magnus with the Provision upgrade (settlers don't consume population) and the Ancestral Hall (production towards settlers is increased, new cities get a free builder) with the Colonization policy card looks absolutely amazing. As bad as I've wanted to play Tall in Civ6, this setup just might prove too good to resist.

Reyna is my personal favorite and I generally think just about every single one of her abilities is useful (the foreign trade one is situational but is skippable iirc), but I also put down Magnus for special mention since boosting chopping is flippin' insane.

Bart Simpson as Gubna’.

Joking.

My favourite are Victor, Moksha and Reyna. I want t play another religious victory game, so moksha is essential. Victor the castellan is great for defending cities. Reyna for economy.

I like making scads of $$$ in Civ so Reyna looks the most interesting to me.

Victor looks like fun to play in a hole up and hunker down game with Georgia. Castle defence, Civ style. :)

Liang looks like a lot of fun on an island map. Her unique tile improvements are neat.

So, those three are the most interesting, to me.

Magnus is obviously the most powerful, making chopping even more OP. :(

Pingala is solid but he looks like Humpty Dumpty so I can’t stand looking at him. *Ugh*

Don't underestimate Victor!
I think we'll be able to use him semi-offensibly. Just move him into the last City you just captured (which takes only 3 turns).
You'll not only stabilize its loyalty, but also have a moving fortress with +5 combat strenght and 2 attacks.
Any unit your enemies might possibly have left after their first City fell will melt in Victors shadow.

You could even move him to a suitable border City before declaring war, then provoke the enemy to move troops there!

Victor is really good for those outer cities as you said. I particularly like the upgrade which allows a city to not be siegeable. You could pretty much hold out until reinforcements arrive, etc.

Could you imagine Victor in real life ordering around his subjects, with his imposing figure and eye patch??? “No, I said the west wall, you ****!”

Top Bottom