Poor, poor rapists... WTF!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post addresses somebody who thinks "We're a Winner" is much of a muchness with the Horst-Wessel-Lied. I'm being, if anything, unnecessarily polite.

Nah. With all the suicides and rapes that go on these days, I'd say society is losing. The world is a miserable place because of the tragedies that keep happening to people. Please, stop taking words out of my mouth.

Where does this happen, exactly? As a white male living in mittelamerika, I've never felt particularly marginalized. That's anecdotal, yes, but "too often" I think suggests that there is a comparably bulky subset of issues about which nothing is done - but of all the things I can compare white male problems to, I think the problems faced by women and minorities of all kind are more numerous and certainly more ignored.

I can relate to the sentiment but some people do look at you kinda funny when you take up the baton in a cause that tends to be "mens rights" or whatevertheheckthatmeans. Ritalin prescriptions in grade school, the removal of recess time, the lack of competitive grading, unequal parental rights, massive incarceration differences, unemployment rates of the young, dropout rates, suicide rates, rates of violent offense - these are darn important issues. Issues that cannot be subjugated as secondary while we try and fix other issues that also need work. I'm still a bit confused why this particular point of contention tends to follow CFC's threads on the topic of sexual violence though.

Nah. With all the suicides and rapes that go on these days, I'd say society is losing. The world is a miserable place because of the tragedies that keep happening to people.

24 hour sesationalist news might make one think this, but all evidence I have read seems to indicate the first world today is about the nicest place to live that ever has existed.

Yes you did.

ALSO THIS

And this

and this

and this

I could go on. But is it really necessary?

Please. Four of your links come from the very same thread, it was a long time ago, and it's out of context within the conversation. Are we really going to go back to that again. :lol:

Just say it, you don't think anyone is entitled to their opinions if you disagree with them. What exactly is our problem with me? First i'm 'not being a very good iranian' now this. :lol:

Only like two of those 'sources' even remotely count, and even those were quite some time ago. And this is coming from someone that said I 'hold grudges from something a year ago'? :lol:

Just come on.

24 hour sesationalist news might make one think this, but all evidence I have read seems to indicate the first world today is about the nicest place to live that ever has existed.

Well even among western countries there are all sorts of problems but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the problems occurring in other places. Many parts of the world have starvation on a regular basis, disease, lack of water, local warfare, etc. I could go on and on. Just because the world might be 'nicer than ever before' doesn't mean we shouldn't be aware of our problems and try to improve things.

Why do those 'feed the children that are starving in a third world country' commercials make you feel guilty? Because they're completely true, and you realize your life is very privileged compared to theirs.

Regardless of how good the world may be, we should always be working to improve it. Because you see, the world is either getting better or it is getting worse. It does not stay the same. I for one want to see the world getting better. :)

Nah. With all the suicides and rapes that go on these days, I'd say society is losing. The world is a miserable place because of the tragedies that keep happening to people.
And Public Enemy are basically the same as Skrewdriver, yeah, we've established that you're a fellow of what I will politely call "idiosyncratic" opinions.

And Public Enemy are basically the same as Skrewdriver, yeah, we've established that you're a fellow of what I will politely call "idiosyncratic" opinions.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing. Rape is a tragedy whereas suicide is not?

Well even among western countries there are all sorts of problems but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the problems occurring in other places. Many parts of the world have starvation on a regular basis, disease, lack of water, local warfare, etc. I could go on and on. Just because the world might be 'nicer than ever before' doesn't mean we shouldn't be aware of our problems and try to improve things.

We do those 'feed the children that are starving in a third world country' commercials make you feel guilty? Because they're completely true, and you realize your life is very privileged compared to theirs.

Regardless of how good the world may be, we should always be working to improve it. Because you see, the world is either getting better or it is getting worse. It does not stay the same. I for one want to see the world getting better. :)

I was reacting to the "society is losing" bit, not advocating we sit on our laurels and sing kumbayah(though that could probably do some good, the singing and camaraderie). The worst problems we have are very old problems. If I had to guess, at least for the moment, society is winning rather than losing. It would be an error, though, to assume that progress is inevitable and unstoppable. Things can indeed get worse rather than better.

I was reacting to the "society is losing" bit, not advocating we sit on our laurels and sing kumbayah(though that could probably do some good, the singing and camaraderie). The worst problems we have are very old problems. If I had to guess, at least for the moment, society is winning rather than losing. It would be an error, though, to assume that progress is inevitable and unstoppable. Things can indeed get worse rather than better.

Well 'winning and losing' are relative terms. Yes it's true things are better now but there are still terrible events.

And not all of them are 'very old' problems, as you say. Aids is new, and has devastated the lives of many people. It is the worst in Africa, for example. This is why we should never be satisfied until there is a cure as well as a vaccination and every man and woman with AIDS is treated.

And yes, I'm asserting that even people who can not afford such a cure should get it anyway. We should get involved in programs like 'doctors without borders'.

In order for society to improve, society should feel guilty about its problems. Guilt is only the first step in making the world a better place.

Rape culture? Slut shaming? What's that?

Two 18-year-old football players at Torrington High School in Torrington, Connecticut, allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl. The two young athletes have each been charged with the felony of second-degree sexual assault, along with two other charges.

It’s disturbing enough that Edgar Gonzales and Joan Toribio (who are being held in a correction facility and are out on a $50K bond, respectively) may have sexually assaulted a 13-year-old. What’s also disturbing are the vile, slut-shaming tweets about the young girl calling her a “ho” and a “snitch.”

The Register-Citizen, the newspaper for Litchfield County, CT, collected a bunch of tweets making comments like “I wanna know why there’s no punishment for young hoes,” “Sticking up for a girl who wanted the D and then snitched? Have a seat, please,” “I hope you got what you wanted,” and “You destroyed two people’s life.” That last one was tweeted by someone whose Twitter name had been changed to #FreeEdgar. (The Register-Citizen did its best to confirm all these tweets are interconnected and related, explaining, “Affiliations were determined by followers, posts of photographs and references.”)

Additionally, one of the young men may not have been allowed to play on Torrington’s football team in the first place: Edgar Gonzales was charged with felony robbery after jumping three 14-year-old boys and trying to steal money. Overall, Edgar Gonzales sounds like a real stand-up guy! The former head coach of the Torrington football team said he knew about the felony robbery charge, but he let Edgar play because he wanted to give him “a chance.” I don’t suppose he meant a chance to allegedly commit crimes against 14- and 13-year-olds and get away with them because he’s a big, cool football player no one — including his adult male coach — wants to with.

Are we surprised at the total horsehockytiness displayed in Torrington? In light of the Stuebenville rape trial — the cruelty displayed by football players joking about the “dead girl,” CNN’s grief for the two “promising” young rapists who had their lives ruined, and the girls’ who threatened to kill the Steubenville victim — no, of course it’s no surprise.

It’s hard for the heart not to harden when you see no end to the athlete-worshiping, victim-blaming and lack of compassion for victims of violent sexual crimes. When will we learn?

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-03-20...on-ct-football-players/#.UUoKLDgEn5g.facebook

Well 'winning and losing' are relative terms. Yes it's true things are better now but there are still terrible events.

And not all of them are 'very old' problems, as you say. Aids is new, and has devastated the lives of many people. It is the worst in Africa, for example. This is why we should never be satisfied until there is a cure as well as a vaccination and every man and woman with AIDS is treated.

And yes, I'm asserting that even people who can not afford such a cure should get it anyway. We should get involved in programs like 'doctors without borders'.

In order for society to improve, society should feel guilty about its problems. Guilt is only the first step in making the world a better place.

Disease is indeed a very old problem, even sexually transmitted disease more specifically. AIDs is disease wearing a "new" mask as of the last 30 years. And yes we should continue working in Africa where it is worst. If we can be proud of anything almost without reservation from the Bush II years, it is his administration's work on that. More needs done. More needs done on malaria. More needs done on HPV, more and more always needs done. That doesn't mean that society is going to hell in a handbasket.

Ace99, that is shocking.

To downtown: Why do did you say it's a horrible idea when I inferred school's should take sports out of the system? These high school football players are taught that they are 'entitled' to women by any means and that women are not human beings. They get treated like kings while in high school which in no way prepares them for the real world.

We should be focusing on academics, which gets kids a bright future rather than sports. At the very least, the valedictorian should have more respect than the quarterback of the football team.

You don't think sports are a big part of this problem? That if the football team did not exist perhaps these boys would not have been raised with this mentality? That America is falling behind other countries in Academics and de-emphasizing other, unimportant things could help with that?

Please. Four of your links come from the very same thread, it was a long time ago, and it's out of context within the conversation. Are we really going to go back to that again. :lol:

Just say it, you don't think anyone is entitled to their opinions if you disagree with them. What exactly is our problem with me? First i'm 'not being a very good iranian' now this. :lol:

Only like two of those 'sources' even remotely count, and even those were quite some time ago. And this is coming from someone that said I 'hold grudges from something a year ago'? :lol:

Just come on.

That was the point. You whined about feminism for like 10 pages in one thread. You're still saying exactly the same things today, so I hardly think it's "old hat". I don't keep grudges, I'm just pointing out that you're a misogynist and talking at length with you about why rape culture is a Thing is an entirely pointless endeavor.

I'm just pointing out that you're a misogynist
Slander.

and talking at length with you about why rape culture is a Thing is an entirely pointless endeavor.

Wrong again. I think rape culture is a real thing, and is a problem that needs to be addressed.

You don't think sports are a big part of this problem? That if the football team did not exist perhaps these boys would not have been raised with this mentality? That America is falling behind other countries in Academics and de-emphasizing other, unimportant things could help with that?

I don't think this is true. I think if we glorified the valedictorian in the same way we glorify quarterbacks now then you would just change the subject of the entitlement problem. Intelligence and being good at schoolwork does not magically make somebody less of a selfish prick susceptible to treating other people like crap. Success in the workplace doesn't either. After you've had to work under a variety of employers you'll pick up that unavoidable truth.

How can it be slander when I just showed you a number of threads where you claim to be a "men's rights advocate" (translation: closet misogynist)

Wrong again. I think rape culture is a real thing, and is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Clearly you do not.

Why did you randomly bring up suicide rates and how it shows that men aren't treated fairly?

How can it be slander when I just showed you a number of threads where you claim to be a "men's rights advocate" (translation: closet misogynist)

It seems you didn't even bother to read what I said in this very thread. btw, I love how you have your own 'translation' for what words mean. :lol:

Clearly you do not.

I've already made my case that rape is a problem as well as a woman's issue, yet you argue that I don't believe what I've already said it. That isn't my problem. :(

Why did you randomly bring up suicide rates and how it shows that men aren't treated fairly?

I never said men aren't treated fairly. I said suicide is a men's issue.

First of all, 'mens issue' does not just mean white males. Black males are just as male as white males.

Yes, yes, yes, I'm well aware of that - but when we're talking about which groups are being effectively marginalized, and at whose groups' expense privilege is distributed, it serves to make these distinctions.

To wit, I don't think the problems males face (let alone white males) are "ignored" on at all the same scale as problems that women face. I'm not saying that suicide isn't a problem, and a problem that affects primarily men at that, but you're presenting it disingenuously.

Yes, yes, yes, I'm well aware of that - but when we're talking about which groups are being effectively marginalized, and at whose groups' expense privilege is distributed, it serves to make these distinctions.

To wit, I don't think the problems males face (let alone white males) are "ignored" on at all the same scale as problems that women face. I'm not saying that suicide isn't a problem, and a problem that affects primarily men at that, but you're presenting it disingenuously.

I never said the fact that males are committing suicide more frequently makes them 'marginalized'. I said it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

For example. men are less likely to get help when they're in the pre-suicidal stage than women. I'm not blaming women for this, I'm saying we need to educate men that it's ok to get help while in the pre-suicidal stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom