Poorest Part of NZ

Zardnaar

Deity
Found this video after a movie binge (fast and furious series). Americans been stuck here last year or so.

West Coast (South Island)

Kinda unique place. Our version of Appalachia. Not very many people mostly in 3 towns ( population 2900, 4000, 15000).

Did a 5 day road trip in 1999 so haven't been for a while. Rained 3/5 days.

Old mining towns gold and coal. Last part of the country with affordable homes. Not much in the way of jobs. Farms, fishing that's about it.

The West Coast is on a narrow plain. Very wet so rainforest and native bush due to rugged terrain. NZ has microclimates. Over the mountains is close to where they filmed Rohan/Edoras in LotR.

Up north is wine and fruit country, South fiordlands and to the east "Rohan" and Queenstown further south.

Good days drive 4-5 microclimates. Sunny like Mediterranean, wet, alpine, plains, coastal etc.

I had a friend in Maine in the 1970s who moved to NZ in 1980 to escape Reagan. He build a house on the ocean about 15 miles north of Greymouth (south island) and lived their with his wife and kids for a decade and then moved back to Vermont.

I had a friend in Maine in the 1970s who moved to NZ in 1980 to escape Reagan. He build a house on the ocean about 15 miles north of Greymouth (south island) and lived their with his wife and kids for a decade and then moved back to Vermont.

That's fairly hardcore. Houses back then in that area would have been dirt cheap.

You also got around $2 for each USD iirc. $10 or $20 usd (or pounds) was a lot of money as a kid in 80's. Pounds were close to 3-1.

That's fairly hardcore. Houses back then in that area would have been dirt cheap.

You also got around $2 for each USD iirc. $10 or $20 usd (or pounds) was a lot of money as a kid in 80's. Pounds were close to 3-1.
He built the house himself (I assume with some hired help) and from the pictures i recall it was a good sized two story place. His wife was from NZ so residency was pretty easy.

He built the house himself (I assume with some hired help) and from the pictures i recall it was a good sized two story place. His wife was from NZ so residency was pretty easy.

Still easiest way into country. Get married.

I understand disliking Reagan but that's fairly hard core. We got our own version of Reagan back then 1984.

Top Bottom