So How Bad Is It Overseas?

$90k or $50/h is just like top 25% compensation in countries like Sweden or USA.
Which is nowhere near the average, then.

You said the news skews negative and doesn't show the average person. By your description of your situation, you are not the average person.

If the average is a 20k range (which seems a bit large really, and I'd assume is dependent on both sector and proximity to large cities like Stockholm), the "average" person can be a lot closer to what you say the news is portraying, than they are you (if they're around $60k for example).

That said, Googling suggests the average monthly income is around 50 - 55k SEK, which corresponds to $55k (USD) - notably below the range you've provided.

$90k or $50/h is just like top 25% compensation in countries like Sweden or USA. Like starting salary for a tech company, junior programmer, I guess the people I work with paid maybe around $70/h and I don't know how restricted stock units work but those I we will eventually get.

In my area I could buy like a 110m apparment or something right now, major drawback is the travel time to office is I want to be there. More expensive there I work but nothing like San Fransico level, more like Detroit level by looking at the prices.

Keep telling you you're in one of the richest countries in the world.

You're not even in the top 1% but more like 0.1%. Throw in rest of Scandinavia and Australia its still not 1% of the worlds population.

Out of touch as well thanks @Gorbles

That said, Googling suggests the average monthly income is around 50 - 55k SEK, which corresponds to $55k (USD) - notably below the range you've provided.
That is just salary part, keep in mind Sweden have a high hidden cost, if I put that into an employer cost caculator and use OCED PPP converter which is 8.7 sek to $ in 2022 I get 55 000 sek salary to equal a total compensation of $120 000 per year. Like if a company pay $100k for somebody in 2 different countries, the salary part may look very different.

That is just salary part, keep in mind Sweden have a high hidden cost, if I put that into an employer cost caculator and use OCED PPP converter which is 8.7 sek to $ in 2022 I get 55 000 sek salary to equal a total compensation of $120 000 per year.

Above average income in top 1% of the global population. Only thing keeping you even higher is Norway and Australia existing.

If a company pay you $90k, you maybe get like $40k-$45k after all taxes +$15k in retirement investment, so $55k, cost of living maybe is like $2000-2500 per month so $24000-30000/yr, but that obviously going to depend on where you live and such. College, healthcare and such have quite trival prices.

Looking at what a bank give as cost of living, it is like $1300 per month for a single person, which include pretty much everything except house/renting, $2000 for a couple (both cases assume owning a car) also add in a few hundreds per child. In my area you can rent like a 4 room 104m^2 apparment for about $1000 per month.

Last edited:
Keep telling you you're in one of the richest countries in the world.

You're not even in the top 1% but more like 0.1%. Throw in rest of Scandinavia and Australia its still not 1% of the worlds population.

Out of touch as well thanks @Gorbles
Like out of like touch like the like $100k thread like.

It's great overseas, developing countries are becoming all massively wealthy because of NATO and free trade, the lines are going UP UP UP and the fascisms are failing. Chinese growth is finally sputtering out so expect everyone else's growth to increase even more! Google "global GDP growth over the last thirty years minus China's GDP growth" to learn more.

It's great overseas, developing countries are becoming all massively wealthy because of NATO and free trade, the lines are going UP UP UP and the fascisms are failing. Chinese growth is finally sputtering out so expect everyone else's growth to increase even more! Google "global GDP growth over the last thirty years minus China's GDP growth" to learn more.
GDP is pretty bad messure of how well people of a country is actually doing.

So you'd think, but a country with high GDP has washing machines and electricity and a country with low GDP usually only has resource export operations, plantations, lesser mines, and the like. You want people to have a good life? Get a high GDP!

Lol might be a bit clueless there. Most people probably do its that bottom 10-20%.

Even here I noticed it at Uni. Way people dressed, iPhone, who had laptops, tablets or nothing.

Poverty is expensive, sucks being poor, sucks even worse if your parents have addictions (mine didn't thank F).
That's basically it as far as America goes. Most people do decently well for themselves, but our society is terrible at making sure people in the bottom 10-20% can succeed.

That's basically it as far as America goes. Most people do decently well for themselves, but our society is terrible at making sure people in the bottom 10-20% can succeed.
i agree. There's so many factors that go along with it such as records.

Bottom 10-20% is doing poorly pretty much everywhere compared to rest of society, like that is what being at the bottom means. It is the opposite for the top, they going to do pretty well everywhere.

You can see the same trend for USA and Norway in terms of poor having short life expectency and rich having long life expectency, but there is a serious difference between the countries probably due to the much greater inequality in USA. Like difference between bottom 1% and top 1% life expectency can be greater than a decade.
https://europepmc.org/article/med/31083722

To be fair the data is before the dramatic drop in life expectency for USA in recent years.

Last edited:
Bottom 10-20% is doing poorly pretty much everywhere compared to rest of society, like that is what being at the bottom means. It is the opposite for the top, they going to do pretty well everywhere.

You can see the same trend for USA and Norway in terms of poor having short life expectency and rich having long life expectency, but there is a serious difference between the countries probably due to the much greater inequality in USA. Like difference between bottom 1% and top 1% life expectency can be greater than a decade.
https://europepmc.org/article/med/31083722

To be fair the data is before the dramatic drop in life expectency for USA in recent years.

Scandinavia has pretty much the best support in the world for that bottom 20-20%.

Theoretically Australia and NZ do but out of control surging house prices some of worst in the world.

There is much smaller gap, like if I convert swedish compensation numbers into american ones and assuming 2000 hours worked for both, productivity was listed as same by OCED and compare them to USA, it become like $50-60k vs like $33k at bottom 10% and like $130k vs $160k at top 10%. Difference between compensation between bottom and top 10% being like 2.2 vs 5 times, I guess redistribution probably also are greater in Sweden, so it may be even more extreme. I assume the other scandinavian countries are around the same. Norway and Sweden have about the same life expectency so I assume Sweden's graph for life expectency based on income look close to Norway's.

USA median compensation, which is about $32/h or $64k by those numbers would be rather close to 10% percentile I assume for the scandinavian countries, which kinda seems to be the case with life expectency between USA and Norway in those graphs. Also median compensation according to the inflation index used have in real terms not improved since 2009 for USA, but not declined either.

Percentiles for USA

Last edited:
Top Bottom