[NFP] Portugal Reveal Video Discussion

With Portugal's abilities, there's no way I don't see the devs ignoring Wilhelmina's horrible LUA, especially since Portugal's ability basically includes her +1 culture for international while ALSO giving additional yields AND increasing those by 50%. Spain, for a second time now lol, also lost out on a niche of theirs since their trade route enhancer is also swallowed up by Portugal. I can see the argument for overlap with Phoenicia but I think Dido is still about colonization then using colonial cards and moving the capital to get wild yields on your core cities, Portugal is just straight naval trade.

100% all of this. Phoenicia still has a wonderful niche on colonization and their capital city movement with a side of trade. Still a great civ, while Netherlands definitely need a second look. Spain needs a tweak but is mostly in a better place these days.

Those opening trills... :love:

*at Firaxis headquarters*
Minion: "What should Portugal's theme sound like?"
Boss: "I don't care as long as it gives Zaarin a stroke."
They failed. It's quite nice. :p

They failed. It's quite nice. :p
Especially the Industrial Theme. Atomic is a bit too obnoxious, Medieval is quite nice, and Ancient Era is certainly better than many of the other Ancient Era Themes.

Especially the Industrial Theme. Atomic is a bit too obnoxious, Medieval is quite nice, and Ancient Era is certainly better than many of the other Ancient Era Themes.
Industrial is pretty nice for an Industrial theme (it's nice to feel like I don't have a trumpeter playing directly into my ear :p ), but I'm still Team Pre-Industrial. :p

Industrial is pretty nice for an Industrial theme (it's nice to feel like I don't have a trumpeter playing directly into my ear :p ), but I'm still Team Pre-Industrial. :p
Alright then, I guess it's your opinion.

I love V's Scramble for Africa, and probably enjoy it nearly as much as Baba Yetu, and more than any VI single song.

Okay, let's not make things get too out of hand and turn this into a debate about which Civ music is better. Yes, I may have started this whole thing, and I will take fault for having done so.

Atomic is a bit too obnoxious

Aren't they all? There's a couple I recall enjoying but most sound like the Industrial theme with unnecessary extra stuff loaded on top, like Michael Bay rushed into the room and started smashing random buttons. "These are buttons that exist! Must push!"

I intend no criticism to the artists. I don't see it as their fault. I think it's the consequence of trying to abstract an era by adding extra layers of musical complexity. It works well until the Industrial era.

I enjoyed what they did in regards to music in Civ 6, it was creative and well accomplished, but if they're repeating this approach in Civ 7 I think three stages per Civ are enough. They could perhaps on the other hand have themes which are inspired by natural wonders or in-game events, or even city-states, therefore keeping the uniqueness of the soundtrack for each playthrough.
---

As always, Ancient and Medieval are lovely (Industrial is good too) and I wish Firaxis continue their partnership with Geoff Knorr.

Aren't they all? There's a couple I recall enjoying but most sound like the Industrial theme with unnecessary extra stuff loaded on top, like Michael Bay rushed into the room and started smashing random buttons. "These are buttons that exist! Must push!"

I intend no criticism to the artists. I don't see it as their fault. I think it's the consequence of trying to abstract an era by adding extra layers of musical complexity. It works well until the Industrial era.

I enjoyed what they did in regards to music in Civ 6, it was creative and well accomplished, but if they're repeating this approach in Civ 7 I think three stages per Civ are enough. They could perhaps on the other hand have themes which are inspired by natural wonders or in-game events, or even city-states, therefore keeping the uniqueness of the soundtrack for each playthrough.
Yeah, the Atomic (and even many of the Industrial) themes are just too bombastic. Instead of era music I'd like to see Civ7 just offer a greater variety of music.

Nice to see an Industrial theme that isnt overly bombastic but Ancient and Medieval are still better. A problem I have is I play on small/standard map sizes which means I only get 6-8 civ themes a game. Once I hit late game all I get is the same handful of loud bombastic tracks on a loop with no ambient tracks or anything to break it up. By Atomic the music is usually off.

Civ V's peace and war themes for each civ and then a huge soundtrack broken up into 4 culture groups was a better layout. I hope Civ 7 drops the era layout and doesnt limit the music so much based on the size of the map.

Yeah, the Atomic (and even many of the Industrial) themes are just too bombastic. Instead of era music I'd like to see Civ7 just offer a greater variety of music.
To be fair my favorite theme in the game is Industrial/Atomic Era Cree. The mixture of the orchestra and the Cree chanting to me is spectacular. I think many of the themes with vocals to compliment the later themes are my favorite, except Atomic auto-tune Zulu. :shifty:

That being said I do like the earlier themes for Portugal better than the later ones. They feel more authentic.

doesnt limit the music so much based on the size of the map.

Yep, it's called a music playlist. They could very well have a default playlist which selects the themes for the Civs currently in-game, but then have a panel which allows the player either to skip or access a wider range, including Civs not in the current game. I hope they remedy this in the future. At the VERY VERY LEAST a skip button of the current theme.

---

The atomic era does start to give me headaches after a while, so I turn the music down. That has the unintended consequence of making me listen to and appreciate the ambient sounds :lol:
"It's so... peaceful."

except Atomic auto-tune Zulu. :shifty:
I'd successfully suppressed the memory of that abomination until now. :sad:
Is it really that bad? I actually enjoyed it, though it might be my "all music in Civ 6 is great" bias showing. :p

Back on topic, it really seems that all the effort for Civ, Leader, and Music Design went into Portugal. I love it. :D

Top Bottom