[POSSIBLE BUG] Cannot build Seaport for tile bought by other city

OTAKUjbski

TK421
On turn 276, Washington's culture took control of the Fish tile between it and New York.

On turn 282, I switched the tile to New York's control, began working it, and improved it with a Work Boat.

I just tried to add a Seaport to the queue behind a second Work Boat, but despite that improved Fish tile being worked by New York, I cannot build a Seaport in New York.

(I also tried buying the Coast tile between the Fish and New York to 'link' all the water, but that had no effect.)

Loaded up the quicksave and I can confirm it. Improving the other fish allows the seaport, but the fish nearby Washington does not.

Moderator Action: Moved to Confirmed Bugs, and added to list.

I'm pretty sure it is correct behaviour

Otherwise, you can build seaports in TWO and more cities for one resource just by switching working tile from city to city :)

I'm pretty sure it is correct behaviour

Otherwise, you can build seaports in TWO and more cities for one resource just by switching working tile from city to city :)

Why is that a problem? Having two cities build seaports just for one resource doesn't sound very efficient.

Having said that, I just thought of a related problem, maybe what you were trying to get at. It is the city that first expanded onto the tile that 'owns' that tile, so if it gets captured, the tile would change hands to the enemy. But if the other city had a seaport it would now be useless.

So perhaps this is by design. If that's the case though, it would be nice if there were some interface mechanism that showed individual city borders, because once you start swapping tiles between cities, it will become impossible to know which tile originally belonged to which city.

It is the city that first expanded onto the tile that 'owns' that tile,
The situation with the shared horse between New York and Washington would imply that
New York was founded before Washington claimed the horse tile.
Only New York can build a circus.

The situation with the shared horse between New York and Washington would imply that
New York was founded before Washington claimed the horse tile.
Only New York can build a circus.

AH! For the sake of ownership, that makes total sense. Otherwise, you could exploit the shared resource and build two Circus/Monastery/etc for the price of just one resource.

So this probably is by design but with a not-so-desired (IMO) side-effect where water resources are concerned.

Perhaps this could be changed to exclude sea resources or to only be in affect for luxuries.

I'll move this to possible bugs then.

Seriously, I'm sticking to the suggestion it should be possible somehow to see city borders, and then I would regard the topic of this thread as working as intended.

Or, change the function of buildings like the circus so that they only provide their effect when the city controls the relevant tile.

Will New York be able to build a seaport if the city claims the shared fish before Washington via culture? See save.
No.

This a very inconsequent and confusing game design, because there are a lot of buildings which only can be built
when the city has 'an improved resource nearby'.
And with a city being able working tiles up to the third ring and culture which can expand up to the fifth ring,
you'll never know if a recource will be allocated to a new founded city.

I can confirm this ambiguity is present as of 1.0.2.21 even when rush buying a tile. Buying a marble tile with Mecca, Baghdad got the wonder bonus :\

Top Bottom