1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible coup in Turkey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by muhtesem insan, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Great, sounds like he's getting set up for a very nice little bloodbath.

2. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Well please provide information where does he violate the constitution. You are claiming things to be true or actually to be "no mystery", but not giving any facts. The opposition are political parties and which party is he rounding up? He is intolerant to lies or critics which are direct insults which do not have any other purpose than just that.
    Turkey is not descending into any autocracy, proof for that is the people who did go into action to stop the coup. And if anything than the government will have increased its support to above the 50% support it had already in the last elections in 2015 november.
    Regarding to your Islamist point, the opposite is true. Muslims were discriminated for a long time in a country with more than 99% of its population being muslim. This happened due to the fact some rulers claimed they were protecting the secular state. Should the Quran be banned for a secular state? Should any form of education of Islam to the population be banned for a secular state? Should soldiers/officers be tracked for whether they are praying or not and if they do should it have negative effects on their careers as soldier/officer? Well that was the case in a long period of the so-called secular Turkey. It is actually now restoring the secularism from the point where previously it was oppressing muslims who where practicing their religion to a point with no discrimination towards muslims.

3. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Maybe it was also Güllen who persecuted those poor Turkish Muslims, just like he downed the Russian jet and coordinated a military coup from rural Pennsylvania. Next thing you know Erdogan will admit the Armenian genocide was real, but it was actually carried out by Güllenists to stain the country's good image.

4. chijohnaok

chijohnaok King

Turkey's education ministry reportedly fires 15,200 for ties to failed coup

Erdogan previously fired a group of generals before the coup, and now since the coup fired even more.

He's now firing teachers and university deans.
    He's firing policemen.
    He's firing people in the religious affairs department.
    He's muzzling the media.

Sounds as if he has taken a page of Stalin's "purge playbook".

5. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

let the quoting games begin!!!! :king:

Or I didn't want to bore people with unnecesarry details and did not mention friday and burial prayers.
    And about this so called "call for unity". I think everyone in this forum is intelligent enough to what does a "call for unity" from mosques mean. Unity against whom?
    I am the source. I heard him on live TV.

If you're staging a coup you need to disorient the government and show you're in control as soon as possible. Any TV channels against you must be shut down. Any chance to get people organised against coup must be stopped. And most efficient way to do this is control the communications. You have to cripple the communication for everyone else.
    Yes they occupied the TRT but this is not 1980 that meant nothing.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/expect
    I expect a military coup yes, this is my political foresight not desire. And yes this last attemp was not a proper coup but badly planned mess.

6. muhtesem insan

muhtesem insan Amateur Revolutionary

His Palace is illegal, he was not qualified to be elected as president (he needed a bachelors degree and he couldn't proove that he has) He has removed immunity of all the MP's to presecute them, he stopped an corruption inquiry by removing the Attorneys....etc the list goes on.

He can get even 90% of the votes that does not mean he's right. No one claimed he didn't have popular support. All dictators had popular support.

This i agree on some extent. But now non muslims, non sunni muslims (see Alevis) and secular sunni muslims are discriminated against. And some of the examples you've given did not happen.

this never happened.

this never happened. Only an age restriction (it was 12 if i remember correctly) which i support.

This happened. And although it was wrong it prevented Gülen movement to gain influence in Military. Ironically this saved Erdoğan from last coup attempt.

7. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

In fact there is still a death penalty in Russia, but it is indefinitly suspended.

He doesn't propose it. He is ready to accept it if that is the will of the people and parliament. Litteraly stating from that source: "Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said he is ready to reinstate the death penalty if the Turkish people demand it and parliament approves the necessary legislation." It requires a change in the constitution and thus either 60% in parliament and approval in referendum or two third of the parliament in favor of the change.

Besides the opposition parties CHP and MHP are considering it too:
    http://www.dailysabah.com/politics/2016/07/19/gulenist-coup-perpetrators-no-different-than-daesh-pkk-terror-organizations-mhps-bahceli-says
    http://www.milliyet.com.tr/mhp-leader-suggests-death-sentence-en-2218130/en.htm
    For CHP I couldn't find a English link, you will have to use google translate:
    http://www.cnnturk.com/turkiye/kilicdaroglundan-idam-yorumu-getirsinler-bakalim

If death penalty will be enacted it does require support of the opposition anyways.

8. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Just because a government has popular support doesn't mean it isn't autocratic. Plenty of dictators throughout history have also had popular support. It didn't make them any less of a dictator though.

Not allowing you to force your religious views on others isn't discrimination.

9. red_elk

red_elk Deity

If you replaced in your sentence "in fact" with "formally", I would agree.
    In fact death penalty in Russia is not applied anymore for about 20 years.

10. luiz

The Sultan is now seeking the resignation of all the deans of public and private Universities in Turkey. Clearly they're all Gullenist spies. This Gullen fellow is turning out to be the greatest super-villain in history or fiction.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-purge-to-universities-asking-all-deans-to-go

So we've definitely passed the point where Erdogan even bothered hiding that he wants to be an autocrat.

11. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Was he ever hiding it before? I'm sure he had lists drawn up beforehand of everyone he wanted removed in the event of something like this, and as soon as he got the excuse he pounced on it.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm a bit nonplussed about luiz's sudden opposition to autocrats. My guess is if Erdogan seized sole power in the context of a political situation in which left-wing mass parties were demanding things like universal health care, luiz would be praising Erdogan as a firm hand rescuing the ship of state from bums and kids.

13. luiz

:rolleyes:

Erdogan is a right-winger whose economic policies have for the most part been quite successful. The secular and democratic opposition to Erdogan comes mostly from leftists, and I support them even if I would probably disagree with their economic policies.

In the fantasy-land you inhabit, I should love him, because we're both right-wing villains.

In the real world you'll never see me praise any autocrat. I don't have pet dictators; people like Noam Chomsky and Jeremy Corbyn do.

14. luiz

Yes that is what Occam's razor would suggest. But honestly, the hypothesis that he was warned of this coup before hand and then played the whole thing to seize dictatorial power seems more and more likely...

15. Commodore

Commodore Deity

What was the point of this post other than to be a personal attack on luiz?

16. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

Did the purges in the army also affected "kemalists" or is Sultan just removing anybody that could be a gullenist?

17. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

This looks more and more like a false flag operation so Erdogan can get rid of anyone he deems as a threat to him. I wonder when he will go after those in Parliament?

18. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Also quite possible. I doubt it was entirely a false flag, but he could have had foreknowledge of it and allowed it to proceed while getting information from moles who were pretending to side with the coup so he could prepare the loyal parts of the armed forces and be whisked away to safety, as he was. My impression of Turkish conspiracy theories is that about a quarter of them are true, but people rarely find out definitively which ones are true and which ones are false. What actually happened here will probably be impossible to say for sure, at least while he's still in power.

19. qwerty25

qwerty25 Prince

Kinda interesting theres 14 ships unaccounted for just floating around [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

20. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Oh great, now we are going to have pirates with actual warships and crewed with trained military sailors out there instead of the speedboat with the malnourished militiamen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.