Possible coup in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take care of yourself muhtesem insan

Crazy that this is happening - Turkey is such an important regional state too. Wonder how all of this shakes out, if Erdogan makes it through things can only get worse it seems though

Amazing how they could coordinate so well withouth the government knowing. But it can't be more than a limited group. How else could they keep it secret?

Some police officers are fighting it seems (but mostly outgunned) theres a video i saw earlier on twitter.
Brother of my friend is a police, they are ordered to shoot at soldiers.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

President called a tv chanel via FaceTime. He called people to go to squares and airports and resist to coup.

Erdoğan was asked if head of joint chiefs are arrested he said, i don't know.

there are news of gunfights in ankara near state tv

This is good news if Erdogan is kicked out. If he stays in power things will get very bad. I hope military succeeds.

My take, as far as it goes:

This is a strictly domestic issue. The military is once again attempting a coup in order to protect the secular, republican constitution. I'm amazed at their logistic abilities, and the ability to keep it secret, but then again, it's not the first time, so they do have previous experience to lean on.

Nato probably won't be affected. The military has said that they want all international deals to remain in place, and the coups in 1961, 1971 and 1980 didn't create any international problems.

The military seems to have succeeded so far, taking over roads and bridges, airports, political offices and state media. Erdogan is calling for people to take to the streets, but most of his supporters are in the countryside. The cities are much more liberal, so I think it will be hard to gather enough people for it to matter, at least on such a short notice.

It's still possible this coup fails, but if it does succeed, I expect that the military will have to ban AKP, so they can't be part of the next elections. After all, Erdogan did get the most votes! He is legally chosen by the Turkish people, and has a lot of popular support. If this situation is resolved quickly, things may be okay. But if this drags on, things can start getting very ugly.

Finally, the brand new thing in this coup is the Internet and social media, and the communication they allow. This coup might go differently than the others. And of course, there is the violent, internationally focused terrorists of ISIL, just across the border...

Russian news report that Turkey declared state of military emergency.
(Maybe related) US and Russian foreign ministers today had an 8 hour long meeting in Moscow and then took a break. Probably will continue at night.

Amazing how they could coordinate so well withouth the government knowing. But it can't be more than a limited group. How else could they keep it secret?

The government knew something was going on. They usually do. It was just powerless to stop it.

Regimes fall when they've rotten enough to have (almost) no one willing to actually fight for them. When tings get nasty, remember that quote from civ: "political power grows out of the barrel of a gun". It was true, it will always be true.

Now Erdogan himself was on foreign TV channels calling on turks to take to the streets. That means he knows he lost on the gun count, any armed forces loyal to him were overwhelmed. The military coup seems to have succeeded, though I'm guessing the intelligence officers appointed by Erdogan put up a fight. On the political front all governments are being extra cautions not to commit on events in Turkey at this time: they're waiting out for a clear winner to emerge (meaning: no one is bothering to back Erdogan). On the internal civilian front, I really don't think anyone will follow Erdogan's request to take to the streets tonight. And I very much doubt it will happen tomorrow either: he's not sufficiently well liked in the cities to have that mobilization he'd need to break the will of the military carrying out the coup.

Obviously I might have been partly wrong. I'm seeing pics of large pro-Erdogan demonstrations in Turkey now. Not sure if they're significantly large, but it's more than I expected.

Edit: And apparently heavily armed police with rifles and APCs, together with AKP supporters, have organised and are on the move in Ankara.

I'm afraid this will have to get bloody.

Pics can easily be forged. Let's wait and see.

Erdogan is probably running to hide under Merkel's skirts by now.

Remember also: if it has come to shooting, and we've had reports of both shooting and explosion, neither side will be inclined to just back down because their lives are already on the line if they surrender. Especially the military carrying out the coup...

All tv channels are pro government now. I guess this coup attempt has failed.

Could be forged, yes. But from all the reports I'm seeing, it seems to be real.

But yes, we'll have to wait for more info.

Edit:
All tv channels are pro government now. I guess this coup attempt has failed.

Hmm. Interesting.

Im not sure if I'm happy or not about it failing.

Just hearing about this now, it isn't entirely clear how widespread the coup was. Has the military seized control of more than Istanbul and surrounding environs? Does this have legs or will Erdogan remain in power and execute a brutal purge after the events of today?

Tide seems to be turning towards Erdogan now, lots of popular support visible on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom