Possible Use of HoF Mod for GOTM - now with POLL!

Should we use the HOF mod in the GOTM?

• Yes - make it compulsory.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Yes - make it optional.

Votes: 63 52.5%
  • No - and if its compulsory, I won't play.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • No - but I will still play if its compulsory.

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
The map adjustments can be done before the game is locked to the mod.

Murky said:
I didn't mean to imply they were intent on cheating. ;)

Don't they typically do things like go in and remove the huts near your starting position?
They don't edit the file to do that though! They use world builder, then protect the save afterwards by setting the admin password. That can still be done with the HOF mod.

Dianthus said:
They don't edit the file to do that though! They use world builder, then protect the save afterwards by setting the admin password. That can still be done with the HOF mod.

Using the world builder is what I meant by editing the save file. I suppose the better question would be can the world builder be used with the HoF mod?

No. It's used by the staff before the HoF mod is locked in.

AlanH said:
Murky said:
Using the world builder is what I meant by editing the save file. I suppose the better question would be can the world builder be used with the HoF mod?
No.
A better answer is "yes" ;). The world builder can be used with the HOF mod with the exact same restrictions as without the HOF mod. I.e. when the "Lock Modified Assets" options is checked the world builder can't be used, and when the admin password is set the world builder can only be used by entering the admin password.

Dianthus said:
A better answer is "yes" ;). The world builder can be used with the HOF mod with the exact same restrictions as without the HOF mod. I.e. when the "Lock Modified Assets" options is checked the world builder can't be used, and when the admin password is set the world builder can only be used by entering the admin password.

If that is the cases, could't HoF players build themselves a favorable starting location then lock the assets before loading the mod?

Murky said:
If that is the cases, could't HoF players build themselves a favorable starting location then lock the assets before loading the mod?
No. Locking the assets is something you can only do during the game setup screens. You can't change it after the game is started.

Murky said:

I would assume World builder is disabled from the start to prevent just such an occurance. Unless a player has an admin code to get into it....

Edit: Too slow.

Would use of the HOF mod allow a player to stop and start the game as often as he wishes without prejudice (not to replay, just to attend other activities and then get back to the game without having to leave the game up and running)? If so, I'm certainly for it.

Is what Cactus Pete is suggesting already allowed, with the caveat of playing for at least a half hour. I was planning to start GOTM8 this weekend and play for a number of turns to reveal more of the map, and then continue playing next weekend. Is this OK?

Somewhat off topic, so I will add that I started using the HOF mod and it looks fantastic. It should reduce the need to keep flipping through city screens, going to each leader to check relations, and referencing the Civilopedia. Reducing busy work and allowing the player to focus even more on strategy makes a great game even better.

Using the HoF mod would make no difference to the rules for the GOTM.

We always recommend that games are played in sessions of at least 30 minutes, preferred 60 minutes, between quit/relaunches. This recommendation would also not be changed by the HoF mod.

Dianthus said:
I think you forgot a smiley there somewhere!

@Greebley, what he really means is that it is YOUR responsibility to handle/avoid those cases.

I don't think I stated my question correctly. I got the impression the HOF mod prevented replaying (which is good).

The question is that if you had something go wrong like a crash, can you continue to play the game at all? Is there a save you can continue from? I was envisioning it impossible to complete the game so no GOTM for that month. A crash means you are forced to replay (unless the game is saving every 5 seconds or after every battle - in which case you only lose 5 seconds)

Thinking on it I am guessing the answer is yes, you can keep playing. There must be some kind of save even when there is a crash. ( I have played (admittedly oldschool) games where the save is deleted at start up and saved when you exit).

How can anything "prevent" reloading? You have to be able to save your game and relaunch it. You have to be able to recover from a crash by loading up an autosave. There are no magic bullets.

No one ever said the HoF Mod is a magic bullet. All it does is to improve the security of the save and give us a bit more information about what went on while it was played.

Change of Attitude Update!

Just wanted to stop in and say hello because I recently downloaded the HOF mod to test for possible future GotM's that may require it. So far, so good!

All in all, I have been positively impressed. Totally.

I have officially changed my mind so that if this mod is made mandatory, I will accept it and move forward with its use despite my loathing of mods and additional computer housekeeping. I view PCs like I views cars. I want to drive them, not understand nor work on their mechanics. I am a slacker that way, no doubt.

~ I do think it can make the game easier and improve individual player results. I am not judging that as either good or bad. It's just my observation.

Last word:

Thanks to all that made it possible. It is truly an impressive piece of work, is easy to understand and implement, and really does what it claims to do. :goodjob:

drkodos said:
Change of Attitude Update!

Just wanted to stop in and say hello because I recently downloaded the HOF mod to test for possible future GotM's that may require it. So far, so good!

All in all, I have been positively impressed. Totally.

I have officially changed my mind so that if this mod is made mandatory, I will accept it and move forward with its use despite my loathing of mods and additional computer housekeeping. I view PCs like I views cars. I want to drive them, not understand nor work on their mechanics. I am a slacker that way, no doubt.

~ I do think it can make the game easier and improve individual player results. I am not judging that as either good or bad. It's just my observation.

Last word:

Thanks to all that made it possible. It is truly an impressive piece of work, is easy to understand and implement, and really does what it claims to do. :goodjob:

I've started using it almost exclusively now. You got to love the exotic foreign advisor for saving time. I suspect we'll see more diplomatic wins when people start using it. The alerts as to when a city will become unhappy or unhealthy are also very nice.

drkodos said:

It absolutely DOES improve my own results, because it alerts me to things I hadn't thought of. The result of that on the good side though is that I'm learning more about the game and will play better next time I play without the mod because I've now figured out how and why some things happen.

Someone with vast experience in the game would probably not have their performance increased by the mod - it would just save time. I'm not that good yet!

I think that my results in GOTM8 are at least partially improved because of this mod...I did things diplomatically I'd have never done before using the mod, simply cause I didn't think of it...and I've only used the mod for about 1/3 of a game!

Thrallia said:
I think that my results in GOTM8 are at least partially improved because of this mod...I did things diplomatically I'd have never done before using the mod, simply cause I didn't think of it...and I've only used the mod for about 1/3 of a game!

@Thrallia: Maybe I'm being dumb (probably....!) but how did you use the HOF mod for GOTM8? I thought a HOF GOTM save had to be released in order to use the mod

Top Bottom