1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Post Spring Patch: what does FXS still need fix / rework?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, May 9, 2018.

?

What are the top three things you think still need to be fixed / reworked?

1. AI building and using Airforce units

63.6%
  2. AI building an using Naval units

25.0%
  3. AI diplomacy

26.5%
  4. AI layout of districts and wonders

2.3%
  5. AI placing cities not on Freshwater

5.3%
  6. AI use of units

22.7%
  7. Anti-Cav units (Spearmen, Pikes etc.) (cost, relative strength)

11.4%
  8. Coastal Cities (too weak)

6.1%
  9. England (inc. RND, Pax B, Sea Dog)

9.1%
  10. Other Civs (specify which in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Era Score - Overflow

5.3%
  12. Era Score - too hard to get Dark Age

7.6%
  13. Military Tactics (leaf tech)

12.9%
  14. Specific Governor (specify in comments)

2.3%
  15. Tier 3 District Buildings (too weak)

9.1%
  16. UI - Trade Routes

6.1%
  17. UI - Other (specify in comments)

3.8%
  18. Walls (too weak)

0.8%
  19. Policy Card (specify in comments)

0.8%
  20. City States getting crushed by the AI

15.2%
  21. Cede cities

14.4%
  22. UI - Bandar Brunei

1.5%
  23. UI - Spear of Fionn etc. (clarify which units have this buff)

8.3%
  24. UI - Experience Bonus (clarify which units earn exp. 'faster' via Barracks etc.)

6.1%
  25. Value of settling cities on foreign continents (currently not worth the effort)

3.8%
  26. Production overflow

11.4%
  27. AI forward settling / other AI city placement issues (specify in comments)

0.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rosty K

Rosty K King

I also think something could be done to rebalance the importance of early conquest. Currently I have to restrain myself from rushing the neighbor (if not too close) if I want to have an interesting game. Maybe conquered cities should lose all districts and buildings in the Ancient and Classical Eras, or require something like Civ5 Courthouse to be fully operational... Though that might be more of expansion material.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I honestly can't pick three from the list that I find more important that the others. I could perhaps pick three that I find less important than the others (those would be Bandar Brunei (really?), tier 3 buildings and UI Spear of Fionn) ... all the others are relevant and needs looking into.

3. criZp

criZp Emperor

AI diplomacy and AI airforce, these I can't fix through mods.

And coastal cities/navies should be buffed my making naval trade ship more valuable than the land-going traders.

tzu likes this.
  4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

You should be able to place Magnus in a city state to help it defend. (Edit: Victor, not Magnus, of course.)

As for the ones I chose:

- It really shouldn't be too complicated to make military tactics not a leaf tech, and it would help civs with their UU at that tech. Also, once we see how things settle out with that change, adjustments to the anti-cav line should be considered, but not yet.

- The cede cities weirdness needs help. The -18 occupy city diplo should apply if a city hasn't been ceded, and not be related to whether I've returned a city. Also, there should be some ongoing occupation penalty after peace if a city hasn't been ceded (not no growth, but perhaps growth and production halved) and you should be able to cede or be ceded a city later.

- Era score needs some adjustment. Probably the penalty for previous golden ages should increase, and I'd widen the normal age range to maybe 18 points instead of 12.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Shorlin and tzu like this.
  5. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Er, Magnus? Or you mean Victor, the military one?

6. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

The thing with Bandar Brunei is that it should be a super easy fix. I agree it's not a "top 3" item, but it also shouldn't take any significant time, and it's rather surprising it hasn't been addressed already. So people can rightfully question why it hasn't been addressed.

To a lesser degree, the Spear of Fionn issue falls into the same category. It could be corrected so quickly. Why not knock off a bunch of these little things that have been around (in this case) since the first DLC?

kaspergm likes this.
  7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Um, yeah. :blush:

8. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Magnus can do everything else, why not this too? :)

It's a great idea. We know per Amani that assigning governors to a City State is feasible in the code. Would provide a tangible way to support a City State you can't otherwise reach or in situations when you don't want to go to war. Plus Victor's quick establishment time makes sense in the context.

What are they called in real life? Military advisors? Here comes our military advisor Victor to help you out!

acluewithout and WillowBrook like this.
  9. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Good pool. Let the people vote and then send it to FXS.

10. Draco84

Draco84 Warlord

I went with AI navy and airforces, as well as overflow for production.

A lot of the other items could be resolved with a mod, but core logic is a different matter.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    kaspergm likes this.
  11. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

If you take out the AI problems, then a lot of the remaining issues seem pretty easy to fix. Anti-cav and MT seem very easy. A lot of Civs only need small tweaks. Making Pax B work as it was designed originally might be difficult because of free cities, but there are many different directions England could be taken if Firaxis
    reworked them.

This suggests all these things are ripe for some community mod. But equally, I don’t understand why Firaxis hasn’t just dealt with these issues themselves? Balancing the game seems to be taking just forever.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  12. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

I think it's time for community to fix whatever Firaxis choose to ignore.. several patches have passed already.
    I hope we're not waiting until the final expansion released first.
    Perhaps together we can fix several non-AI issue, like the UI one.

I'll start with a simpler one.. the Bandar Brunei issue I brought up.

See my mod request here

EDIT: Turns out a great mod called Better Civilization Icons by Janboruta already fix it up. This is how Bandar Brunei looks in the game. I'm content with this for now.
    Spoiler :

Also Spear of Fionn, balance of England, coastal cities, tier 3 buildings, anti cavalry, foreign continent settling etc.. as a community we could do it, I think.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    acluewithout likes this.
  13. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I get it. And I do agree the way Civ6 UI handles promotions is a direct step-back compared to Civ5, which is kind of puzzling, because one would think it wasn't that much work to make those promotion icons.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  14. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

There are currently 26 votes in favour of FXS working on how the AI builds and uses land units.

I don’t want to get a heap of people off side, but from what I’ve seen, the AI has actually got pretty good with land units, although it maybe still struggles a bit with rams. Do people agree or disagree?

I’m also seeing the AI getting a lot better at district placement; although it’s placing of cities seems totally nuts sometimes. The AI seems to always place cities without fresh water - although maybe this is a smarter strategy than it looks given loyalty pressure and the AI’s bonuses on higher difficulties.

15. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

How about, instead of the free attack when being meleed, they automatically fire on an enemy unit (maybe once per turn) entering a tile next to them? :p You could then either withdraw them in your turn, or fire once more (risking to be attacked).

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  16. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

Yeah shaka was my best friend in civ 5 i allways payed him 2 gold per turn just before his troops where moving next to my border and suddenly they moved away.

I like the idea of bribng a person but there should be a mechanic like" we have enough on our hands right now" just like in civ 4 in wich the AI wouldn't accept if he allready has war plans. But not let the human player see it so he can see if someone wants to wage war

in civ 5 it was way to easy to prevent war and to cheap

17. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

BTW if anyone is particularly worked up about England, they’re welcome to post about it / vote here.

18. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

I am, and I think I've played enough now to know what the specific problems are too. Will head over there shortly.

19. Rambo919

Rambo919 Warlord

You missed (as a poll option) the AI STILL forward settling in places GUARANTEED to loyalty flip.... though probably AI settling in a moronic fashion in general should have a unified option instead of splitting it up.

20. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

On deity a no-brainer strategy is to build or buy ~3 bombers. Take out enemies. The AI still will not counter with either fighters or anti-aircraft units :rolleyes:

I've still never built one of those anti-air support units :lol: