[R&F] Post Spring Patch: what does FXS still need fix / rework?

What are the top three things you think still need to be fixed / reworked?

• Other Civs (specify which in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I also think something could be done to rebalance the importance of early conquest. Currently I have to restrain myself from rushing the neighbor (if not too close) if I want to have an interesting game. Maybe conquered cities should lose all districts and buildings in the Ancient and Classical Eras, or require something like Civ5 Courthouse to be fully operational... Though that might be more of expansion material.

I honestly can't pick three from the list that I find more important that the others. I could perhaps pick three that I find less important than the others (those would be Bandar Brunei (really?), tier 3 buildings and UI Spear of Fionn) ... all the others are relevant and needs looking into.

You should be able to place Magnus in a city state to help it defend. (Edit: Victor, not Magnus, of course.)

As for the ones I chose:

- It really shouldn't be too complicated to make military tactics not a leaf tech, and it would help civs with their UU at that tech. Also, once we see how things settle out with that change, adjustments to the anti-cav line should be considered, but not yet.

- The cede cities weirdness needs help. The -18 occupy city diplo should apply if a city hasn't been ceded, and not be related to whether I've returned a city. Also, there should be some ongoing occupation penalty after peace if a city hasn't been ceded (not no growth, but perhaps growth and production halved) and you should be able to cede or be ceded a city later.

- Era score needs some adjustment. Probably the penalty for previous golden ages should increase, and I'd widen the normal age range to maybe 18 points instead of 12.

Last edited:
I honestly can't pick three from the list that I find more important that the others. I could perhaps pick three that I find less important than the others (those would be Bandar Brunei (really?), tier 3 buildings and UI Spear of Fionn) ... all the others are relevant and needs looking into.

The thing with Bandar Brunei is that it should be a super easy fix. I agree it's not a "top 3" item, but it also shouldn't take any significant time, and it's rather surprising it hasn't been addressed already. So people can rightfully question why it hasn't been addressed.

To a lesser degree, the Spear of Fionn issue falls into the same category. It could be corrected so quickly. Why not knock off a bunch of these little things that have been around (in this case) since the first DLC?

Er, Magnus? Or you mean Victor, the military one?

Um, yeah. :blush:

Magnus can do everything else, why not this too? :)

It's a great idea. We know per Amani that assigning governors to a City State is feasible in the code. Would provide a tangible way to support a City State you can't otherwise reach or in situations when you don't want to go to war. Plus Victor's quick establishment time makes sense in the context.

What are they called in real life? Military advisors? Here comes our military advisor Victor to help you out!

Good pool. Let the people vote and then send it to FXS.

I went with AI navy and airforces, as well as overflow for production.

A lot of the other items could be resolved with a mod, but core logic is a different matter.

Last edited:
If you take out the AI problems, then a lot of the remaining issues seem pretty easy to fix. Anti-cav and MT seem very easy. A lot of Civs only need small tweaks. Making Pax B work as it was designed originally might be difficult because of free cities, but there are many different directions England could be taken if Firaxis
reworked them.

This suggests all these things are ripe for some community mod. But equally, I don’t understand why Firaxis hasn’t just dealt with these issues themselves? Balancing the game seems to be taking just forever.

Last edited:
I think it's time for community to fix whatever Firaxis choose to ignore.. several patches have passed already.
I hope we're not waiting until the final expansion released first.
Perhaps together we can fix several non-AI issue, like the UI one.

I'll start with a simpler one.. the Bandar Brunei issue I brought up.

See my mod request here

EDIT: Turns out a great mod called Better Civilization Icons by Janboruta already fix it up. This is how Bandar Brunei looks in the game. I'm content with this for now.
Spoiler :

Also Spear of Fionn, balance of England, coastal cities, tier 3 buildings, anti cavalry, foreign continent settling etc.. as a community we could do it, I think.

Last edited:
The thing with Bandar Brunei is that it should be a super easy fix. I agree it's not a "top 3" item, but it also shouldn't take any significant time, and it's rather surprising it hasn't been addressed already. So people can rightfully question why it hasn't been addressed.

To a lesser degree, the Spear of Fionn issue falls into the same category. It could be corrected so quickly. Why not knock off a bunch of these little things that have been around (in this case) since the first DLC?
I get it. And I do agree the way Civ6 UI handles promotions is a direct step-back compared to Civ5, which is kind of puzzling, because one would think it wasn't that much work to make those promotion icons.

There are currently 26 votes in favour of FXS working on how the AI builds and uses land units.

I don’t want to get a heap of people off side, but from what I’ve seen, the AI has actually got pretty good with land units, although it maybe still struggles a bit with rams. Do people agree or disagree?

I’m also seeing the AI getting a lot better at district placement; although it’s placing of cities seems totally nuts sometimes. The AI seems to always place cities without fresh water - although maybe this is a smarter strategy than it looks given loyalty pressure and the AI’s bonuses on higher difficulties.

Lots of nicely thought out ideas here. Would improve warfare greatly.

I'd actually rather see the range of Archers and Crossbowmen reduced to 1 to match Slingers and Machineguns, rather than bumping Machineguns up. Would put more emphasis on Artillery to soften up cities. To compensate, I'd give Ranged units a free attack against one incoming melee attack each turn. So then they become primarily a defensive unit, along with Anti-Cav.

I'd also give Light Cavalry units an extra movement point to compensate for their higher costs, or make that available as a promotion. Heavy Cavalry units can stay as is.

Altogether, you could invest in Anti-Cav and Ranged units if you're just worried about defence, would need to invest in Melee and either Artillery/Siege for attack, and then add in a few Cavalry for support of either.
How about, instead of the free attack when being meleed, they automatically fire on an enemy unit (maybe once per turn) entering a tile next to them? :p You could then either withdraw them in your turn, or fire once more (risking to be attacked).

I like that now we can ask the AI to join us in already ongoing wars, but I also wished if we can pay them to start wars without me participating in that war (Just like in Civ 5)

Yeah shaka was my best friend in civ 5 i allways payed him 2 gold per turn just before his troops where moving next to my border and suddenly they moved away.

I like the idea of bribng a person but there should be a mechanic like" we have enough on our hands right now" just like in civ 4 in wich the AI wouldn't accept if he allready has war plans. But not let the human player see it so he can see if someone wants to wage war

in civ 5 it was way to easy to prevent war and to cheap

You missed (as a poll option) the AI STILL forward settling in places GUARANTEED to loyalty flip.... though probably AI settling in a moronic fashion in general should have a unified option instead of splitting it up.

On deity a no-brainer strategy is to build or buy ~3 bombers. Take out enemies. The AI still will not counter with either fighters or anti-aircraft units :rolleyes:

I've still never built one of those anti-air support units :lol:

Top Bottom