• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Post your Windows 7 + Civ experiences please.

I am sure you are right about your drivers - but could post your dxdiag results file anyways?
also: does this only happen when movies/leaders show up - or also with other screens?

Welcome to CFC :band:

It happens when any of the leader dialogs pop up or when I finish a monument (Great Wall, Pyramids etc.). I have BTS 3.19 installed and Colonization 1.01f installed and both do the same thing. Performance in other areas (opening movies etc.) is great. Character movements are fine too.

I've attached the DxDiag results. Thanks Again!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.9 KB · Views: 157
open civilizationIV.ini for the game you are using and set hidemoviebackground from 0 to 1 - does that help at all?

Yes, the dialogs pop up without any delay! The rest of the screen goes black but that's not a problem.

Interesting.

some graphics drivers have trouble with the way that Firaxis decided to construct the background in these screens - I guess they did not have a lot of experience with this kind of graphics programming :mischief:
So long as it works :)

I can agree with that. Especially after "Railroads" and all the crashes associated with that game.

Installed Civ IV and BTS flawlessly. I updated via patches downloaded from CFC with no issues. I had already installed the downloadable DirectX from Microsoft prior to installing Civ.
I've been playing on my new operating system for a month without any crashes or freezes.

System config:
Toshiba Satellite 2.20GHz 4GB 400GB 18.4” ATI HD3200 256MB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit​
Issue:
Cannot install vanilla Civ 4; when I initialize setup.exe the install window flashes briefly on screen and disappears, nothing else happens​
What I’ve tried:
Tried using XP SP 2 & 3 compatibility modes and tried running from HD, still does not install. Downloaded and installed the demo it installs and runs without probs.​
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Right-Click on setup.exe and then run as administrator.

Also, when asked for an install directory select another location. e.g. c:\Games\civ4\ as I have done.

I run Win 7-64bit.

I finally got BTS to work on my Win 7 Hp laptop but am still have problems with the hall of fame BUFFY mod. They say to set the access permission on the Firaxis Game folder but when I log out and log back in it resets the folder back to read-only. Also, if I start a game, log out the log in, the HOF mod says bad CRCs when I try to load my last save.

High this is my first post on here but thought I would share a success story.

I am running win 7 ultimate with the following kit

amd athlon dual core 6000 64 x2 processor
gigabyte motherboard ga ma69g s3h
nvidia gts 250 green edition graphics card
creative sb xfi pci sound card
2 gig ram
5.1 speakers

I upgraded the cpu and graphics card and updated from windows xp and was looking forward to playing on my (better machine!). However was plagued with constant ctd and even windows restarting every few minutes (between 5min and 15 mins).

I had tried various game settings without success, until I disabled my sound card, I could play for hours without any crash. Armed with this information I re enabled the sound card and began trying all the possible sound settings in the game.

I happened upon “Use system config”, this setting has now worked consistently without ant crashes for over a week, and I have gradually turned on all the in game sounds again without any failure.

The setting used in win xp was 5.1 discrete. Perhaps win 7 is more sensitive to programs trying to influence how components (e.g. soundcard) work.

I am now very happy with how the game runs in win 7.:D

Also, when asked for an install directory select another location. e.g. c:\Games\civ4\ as I have done.
Hmmm. How did you get that to work? When I did that the patches messed up my installation so badly that I had to re-install. But apparently my computer is a little strange anyway. I have one of the very few on CFC with almost no Civ - Windows 7/Vista issues. :mischief:

I have a team of scientists from the Smithsonian going over the whole thing right now. :lol:

I had no problems at all, as advised in another thread a few years ago, when I asked about patch install order. It may be over-kill, i.e. I could miss some patches, but I prefer to be safe than sorry. And abyhow it works.

"Right-click" Run-As Administrator

I have manually downloaded all the patches separately, in advance.

Install Civ 4 to c:\games\Civ4

patch to 1.61
install Warlords
patch to 2.08
patch to 1.74
patch to 2.13
Install BtS
patch to 3.17
patch to 3.19

All of Civ 4 complete worked flawlessly without any changes. I just installed from the dvd and then patched it using the in-game updater.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
ATI 4890 GPU
core i7
I haven't paid much attention to drivers on this computer, because everything I've run so far has worked fine on the maximum settings - so I'm just using whatever drivers were in the box when I bought it.

-edit-
By the way, I installed civ in my c:\games directory, just because that's how I like my stuff organised.

-edit-
By the way, I installed civ in my c:\games directory, just because that's how I like my stuff organised.
That's probably why you had no problems.

I bought a custom gaming computer for Christmas just so I could finish CIV 4 BTS Rise of Mankind Mod without it crashing. I have concluded this is impossible! :mad:

I have a 1 TB hard drive, 8 gig worth of RAM, an ATI 5850 video card with 1 gig of memory, an AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ Quad-Core Processor, Windows 7 64 bit. Heck I have 5 fans in the case and a 750 watt power supply!

What do I get? Freezes which I have to ctr alt delete out of and my new favorite, a quazi blue screen of death that has a royal blue screen with verticle lines running through it. Once again, ctr alt delete to the rescue.

Bottom line, I give up on this game. If this system can't play the game without issue I believe it is simply unplayable. :sad:

Did you install civ4 in c:\games\civ4 as opposed to the default.

Yes. Did you do all the installs as "Administrator" ? In the order alluded to above ?

System specs:
Zinka-Win7, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Nvidia G-Force Graphics. Nothing overly great.

What happened:
Game would not begin after double clicking the shortcut.

How I fixed it:
After I double clicked the shortcut, I went to the process list. If the game's process has a description the game will start after a few seconds. If after 10 seconds the game has not begun, terminate the process and try again.

Extra Notes:

I run Civ4 with Administrative privileges.

Top Bottom