• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Post your Windows 7 + Civ experiences please.

Taking into account what has been said so far, I can run civ4, warlords and bts fine.
My problem is the following: When launching the update exe, a pop-up window tells me:
"The setup has detected that no version of Sid Meier's civilization 4 is installed. This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed."

It seems to me that there is a path problem but can't find what path is the update expecting...
I have:
C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete

This with civ4 and warlords only, BtS update doesn't care and works fine!

If you're patching Vanilla, the d/l patch may not work with the Complete version because it is looking for the normal retail version (I think). Try patching Vanilla in-game. If it's already at 1.74, you shouldn't need to patch it. :)

EDIT: No crashes yet, no matter how long I play, but on the weekend I wasn't able to load a late game save from the night before. I'm playing another game now in the Industrial age. So far, no problems.

Kiwitt, I have been hearing something about crashes on windows 7 after so many turns, please let me know if you experience any of this. I have not actually played a game yet. I did check to see if BTS 3.19 worked with the Giant Earth Map mod, checked a few turns and it was really fast, no glitches at all. I heard you have to perform some kind of update on the NIVIDIA driver, for the game not to get stuck at some point. Not sure if this is true or not.
Must have the latest video driver. I have an ATI card, suspect it will also apply to NVIDIA

Must have the latest video driver. I have an ATI card, suspect it will also apply to NVIDIA

Took care of it, thanks man

I have got a copy of windows 7 to pick up.

I am concerned about installing windows 7 incase civ 4 bts dont work.

How do you elevate admin rights???

Does buffy work on windows 7 with civ 4 BTS?

I ha dno worries with buffy and bts... much more with civ4 et warlords...

Hmmm decisions decision on when to install windows 7!! I really dont want to mess up civ 4 BTS that would ruin the many games i play.

@Gumbolt.

BTS and Win 7 work just fine together, but you need to install the latest DirectX 9 runtime after installing BTS, or it gets a bit cranky. Other than that, make sure you have the latest and greatest graphics driver, plenty of root beer, and maybe some chocolate for those challenging times...

Ok, maybe the chocolate part only works if you're a girl, I don't know. But remember that for when your lady gets the blues, k? She'll love you for it. Just don't tell her it was my idea. ;)

Hmmm, I wonder... If I could give Cathy chocolate, maybe she wouldn't slap me so much...

:lol:

I got Vanilla CIV working without too much hassle. I did have to reinstall DirectX for it to work. BTS installs but it doesn't show up in the program menu. I could run it from it's home directory but then it said something about my new hp-laptop (quad-core with a Geforce video card) was below spec so it reduced the settings to minimum. I just uninstalled it instead of trying to make it work.

If it reduces the settings, you just need to set the settings back to what they really should be (or how you like them), then exit and reload. The first time BTS loads, it says your system is inadequate, no matter how good it is, but after you force it, it stops being silly. :)

Its a small complaint to be sure, but a normal unit (such as Axmen) at full health only has one Axman standing there, like they do when they have been beat down. All units are like this, whether when at full health they have 3, 2 or 1 unit 'standing', in my Win 7 install they all have 1 unit.

Its a small complaint to be sure, but a normal unit (such as Axmen) at full health only has one Axman standing there, like they do when they have been beat down. All units are like this, whether when at full health they have 3, 2 or 1 unit 'standing', in my Win 7 install they all have 1 unit.

Go to options and deselect 'single unit graphics' (or something named very similar) :)

I got Vanilla CIV working without too much hassle. I did have to reinstall DirectX for it to work. BTS installs but it doesn't show up in the program menu. I could run it from it's home directory but then it said something about my new hp-laptop (quad-core with a Geforce video card) was below spec so it reduced the settings to minimum. I just uninstalled it instead of trying to make it work.

if you edit the civilizationIV.ini to change hideminspecwarning from 0 to 1 - that would solve your problem - that check is a tad trigger happy...

Cannot play BTS, Colonization, or normal version of Civ IV on Windows 7. I've updated to the latest versions, still no-go.

The menu's are unreadable when opening the game. Knowing where to click, I can get to selecting a country. If I select a different leader OR click the are for launching the actual game, it locks up without really any great error log to go from.

Original forum post without any responses:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=346623

I've just experienced my 2nd BSOD while playing civ4 BTS (3.19). My PC froze once before, so lets make it 3 out of 6 full games of civ4 gave me trouble :(

No clue what's going on, the BSOD screens don't mention any files, names, etc. besides the 0x00...c4 and other numbers. Google didn't help me either.

Weird thing: When i restart civ4 after a BSOD the gfx settings are reset to "low", resolution has changed, with a message telling me my PC isnt good enough for higher settings :crazyeye:

Intel E6600
Asus 8800GTX (latest driver)
4 GB RAM
Win7 64-bit Home

It might be a stability issue. Are you overclocking?

Merry Christmas! :)

Ah, never mind. Apparently it's the fault of the auto warlords patcher, which froze the first time around. Now, however, it worked, and patched CIV4 to 1.61 and put me on my merry way to installing BTS.

Here is my experience....got it running after running into a bit of snag with getting my Direct2Drive BTS 3.17 running.

WIN 7 64 Bit Professional
I5 E8500 Processor
4890 ATI Card with 9.12 Catalyst Drivers Default Settings 1920x1200
Current Direct X versions as of 12/16/2009

Installed Civ 4 V1.0 from CD as administrator to C:\CIV4
Installed 1.74 Patch as administrator
Checked Control Panel Installed Programs versions reports 1.74
Launched game as administrator

Standard CIV4 1.74 started with no errors and appears stable

Installed Warlords from Direct Drive download at V 2.13 as administrator

Launched Warlords as Administrator
Entered Direct Drive Purchase Code
Continued Launch

Warlords V 2.13 launches without error and appears stable

Set executable properties for CIV4 and Warlords to always launch as admin

Re-launched both to check. Both launched fine.

Also rechecked Control Panel Installed programs. Versions are correct

Installed BTS from Direct2Drive download at V 3.17 as administrator

Checked Control Panel installed programs and BTS appears installed at V3.17

Noted that install did not create program shortcuts under program menu all programs Firaxis

Loaded BTS as administrator

Recieved Windows 7 message on load that video was not compatible changing to win 7 basic mode

When BTS loaded received message in game that hardware was not to spec and I might experience performance problems

I tried to install a downloaded 3.19 patch and run as administrator.
The setup program appeared to init OK but after clicking install it just quit without doing anything or giving an error

I started to suspect that maybe the patch would not run because my BTS was installed using a Direct2Drive Download

I went back to direct2drive and was pleasantly suprised to find I could redownload the game again and the DL was updated to 3.19

So I downloaded a complete 3.19 install from my D2D account

I uninstalled BTS 3.17 and deleted the BTS folder

I installed BTS 3.19 as adminstrator and everything works fine.

I think my problem was BTS version 3.17 from D2D and the fact that a standard download patch 3.19 would not run on the D2D install.

I have two systems running Win 7, both 64 bit. I had no problems with both when I upgraded. I now have a problem with my laptop
(core Duo, 8GB Memory, NVIDIA 9650M GT 1GB Video) with slow pop ups when the civilization dialogs occur or when I complete a major monument.

Drivers are all up to date, latest Direct X drivers too. The music plays and I have to wait about 10-15 seconds for the pop up to occur.

My Desktop system has a Phenom II with 8GB of memory as well, 9800 Nvidia card but no problem.

This also happens with Colonization as well as BTS.

Any Ideas?

Top Bottom