1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] PPQ unit art and questions thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by PPQ_Purple, Dec 13, 2017.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

And here is another update. This time with a semi finished model. I did the base texture and most of the primary highlights but I still have to do a lot of detailing work. Also for some reason some of the bones aren't working properly so I'll have to figure that out. But anyway, not too bad for an alpha version. Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

Darkator, rtt4a and <Nexus> like this.
  2. PPQ_Purple

Now with more more highlights. I think this looks better. Also, that black circle is for teamcolor.
    NEU.JPG

Now, this one is the GDI Mammoth tank. I fully intend to do the regular Red Alert 1 one as well as the Apocalypse later. And this is the time I'd hope to get some input from you lot on how it looks so far.

3. PPQ_Purple

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? The only requirement is that it has to be challenging and out of the box. No guarantees that I'll actually do anything you tell me, but I need a pallet cleanser before going back to C&C units.

4. <Nexus>

<Nexus> Traveler of the Multiverse

Scrin units would be awesome :king:

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Arbiter of the Sword

I kind of like what you were doing with the spearmen for NOD and think some generic, ancient arab hoplites would be pretty cool. That is one idea. Something the Middle Eastern peoples with contact with the Hellenistic world would have. There is also the Grizzly Warrior, an old Civ3 unit for woodlands natives:

6. pecheneg

pecheneg Prince

Hmm, drones for launching drones, laser guns on buggies and flying infantry are in fashion now:D. Seriously, we are now living in the midst of another "military revolution".
    Kamikaze drones are already a banality. They are not very interesting graphically, but just in case. The range is from pieces launched from a portable container
    https://newsland.com/static/u/article_image/20/07/24/tmpNdaIoC.jpeg
    to installations on a trailer. Usually a truck.
    And a monstrous bunch of ground robots are being tested, ranging from a "machine gun on tracks" (150 + kg) to full-fledged tankettes.
    https://yandex.ru/images/search?from=tabbar&text=наземные роботы
    At the same time 1. Small tracked and even more wheeled vehicles have poor cross-country ability, so complex chassis
    are used.

2. There are strange weapons such as mini-MLRS,
    Spoiler :

60-мм mortar and launchers of the same "kamikaze".
    Lasers will appear on the battlefield in the next ten years, including because of the hordes of drones. The range is from the same buggy

to laser trucks.

https://nplus1.ru/news/2019/10/16/laser
    From the exotic - "Boston Dynamics" equips its "dogs",

the military is not thrilled,
    the Chinese are experiencing a fairly large strider. And yes, the infantry flies, but low-low.:crazyeye:

It is only ground and about.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  7. PPQ_Purple

None of these is crazy enough... Like for reference I am currently working on among other things reworkng the FFH magic units to have attacks with various spell effects like lightning bolts.

8. Sword_Of_Geddon

There is the Tesla Tank, would work as a Red Alert unit, but also would work in a Steam Punk setting as well. You said lightning bolts. I saw the tank, sort of came together in my mind and thats what popped out.

9. PPQ_Purple

I actually have a working model of that one complete with custom animations. I just need to finish some things up and can't be bothered to do them.

I am in that stage of my life when I start 100 projects at once and than can't be bothered to finish any until I get in the right mood. :)

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

Maybe assign each project a number and role a dice? Listen to some inspiring music?

11. pecheneg

pecheneg Prince

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

Actually purple was remembering the steam ships you did and was thinking of the Turtleship, Imagine that with a smokestack and a paddlewheel.

13. PPQ_Purple

When a unit has both melee and ranged strike animations just what triggers which? And is there an option to make ranged more common? Basically I want to make sure I am not making cool ranged animations that will rarely be seen as FFH is predominantly populated by melee units.

14. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Range animations are mainly played when both parties are defined as "bActAsRanged", since then they will stand and shoot at each other. Once at least one of the two goes melee, the other one follows. But I think they have at least the chance to trigger one range attack before the brawl.

15. PPQ_Purple

Are you sure it's just one? I recall seeing archers and longbows get many shots off before being forced into melee.

16. <Nexus>

<Nexus> Traveler of the Multiverse

Maybe first strike?

17. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Could be some first strike effect. Especially since archers are not "bActAsRanged" in the vanilla game.

18. PPQ_Purple

Also does anyone know any decent way to mod particle effects for nif files? 3D max can't even import them properly.

19. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

I added effects using NifSkope, which needs either the effect to be used in a different unit already (for copy&paste) or a bit of tinkering.

20. PPQ_Purple

That's not what I am asking about. I want to be able to create new effects or edit existing ones substantially. Like say taking a particle system effect like the flamethrower and changing how the particles behave, their number etc. Doing that in nifscope is painful to the point that I can't do it.