Pre-Invitation to a long-term, epic, huge roleplaying game

Looks like this is gonna be the most interrested Pitboss game i am playing so far. :D
For settings: Is the time vic enabled too? I hope not.

I'd like to join. It sounds fun. Why are the turns 20 hours each and not 24?? So you can make it a day.

By the way, what is this "pitboss" thing? Do we just join your pitboss and take our turn anytime we want?

Why are the turns 20 hours each and not 24?? So you can make it a day.

By the way, what is this "pitboss" thing? Do we just join your pitboss and take our turn anytime we want?

The pitboss clock does not run while a player is in the game (bug?). So a 20 hour limit will result in more than 20 hours between turns.

You will be given the host's IP address. Enter this in the BtS launch and it takes you to the game.

The pitboss game I am in DOES run while I am logged in. However I've noted that it freezes while a player tries to log in.

The PitBoss timer runs slower than realtime for various reasons. Try timing it against a clock for a minute when you are logged in and you'll see. Add in the stoppages as players login and PitBoss games run about 10-20% slower than realtime. Hence a game timer of 20 hours is approximately 24 real hours.

Unless the BTS PitBoss has been updated?

ToxoXI -- I will make an exception in your case then; please PM me with your email address and the username you will be using for your Civ Leader. I will manually set up your forum account and reserve a spot for you. If you have a leader/civ preference already picked out, send me that as well.

whiplash -- well, the one show-stopper in my opinion is the fact that in pitboss, mixed leaders are not currently allowed. The feature is there, but it is broken and will not allow players to pick leaders for non-native civs. I myself really think this would enhance the roleplaying, as we can really match traits and unique units/buildings with our playing styles.

Additionally, someone had reported that there was a bug in the Advanced Start feature which allows players to "earn unlimited gold" (although I've not been able to replicate it, so it's not a factor to my thinking).

I'm also not going to be quite ready to start the game until the end of August at the earliest, anyway, so that is another factor in waiting.

I apologize for asking everyone to wait so long, but hopefully that will not be a problem, given the long-term scope this particular game is aiming to focus on. :)

Capsavian, can I play too??

I'm really interested and would like to play this. I never played a pitboss before and really look forward to it.

Nooble -- since we have more interest than open spots, what I am going to do is to set up a forum dedicated to this game. I will announce the link to it in this thread, so anyone who is subscribed to this thread will receive notice.

From there, the first 17 to sign up will be guaranteed a spot in this game. For everyone else, they will be designated as alternate players.

Too bad we can't accommodate everyone! But alas, 18 is the max allowed (without mods, which I'm trying to avoid lest we introduce more complexities into the bugginess).

I plan to install this forum probably this weekend. I will aim to give everyone enough advanced notice though.

Well, I hope I can get my advance place too. I've been supporting your rule choices and philosophy.

I DO however think that you shouldn't allow the any leader-any civ option anyway, because it can create some unbalanced setups that make things unfair. The designers have done their best to TRY and play balance things neatly... with varied success. Leaders and traits match play styles - UUs and UBs just enhance them, and the roleplaying possibilites. So I think picking an existing combo is the best plan.

My 0.02.

Troy--I would try to get the forums in place before the weekend, but with my workload I doubt that will happen. I will give advance notice though, to be fair. In other words, I will announce that "tomorrow at 12:00 GMT I will be unveiling the forums link" so that folks who actually work and sleep will have a chance to at least visit and get to the forum.

JMaltman--I hope you can join, too, as yes I've noted that you seem to also share my appreciation for the finer points of the game. Perhaps I'm over-estimating the interest in this game, and maybe we'll have plenty of extra space for players. Wouldn't that be nice?

You bring up an interesting point on the leader mix. Tell you what: if, by the start of September Firaxis has still not smashed that bug in the pitboss config options, we will proceed with standard leader/civ combos. We won't delay the pitboss game start beyond the beginning of September, and will just have to update as new patches are released.

Thankfully, I work from home and am online about 90% of my waking hours...so, if/when a new patch is released, we should be able to get the pitboss server updated and avoid the situation of the pitboss being behind on updates (as we are all forced to upgrade as soon as one player upgrades, after all).

I dont really see the point in making a new forum on a new server. I think coninueing this forum is better and easier. But if u do think its better to create a new forum I m cool with it.

Sonnybonds--I'm setting up a new forum because I do sincerely feel it will facilitate more flexible options for roleplaying. For example, each nation likely will have their own board, which they can use as their public embassy, news media outlet (I intend on writing regular news bits concerning my country and its matters), and whatever else their imagination permits.

As I said, this game's emphasis on roleplaying should prove to be unique, if all goes to plan. :)

Nooble -- no offense man, but if waiting three weeks to start is difficult to swallow, can you realistically expect to stick with a game that probably will last 18 months?

I am very eager to start, too, but a three-week delay is a drop in the bucket when compared to how long this game will probably run. ;)

Well, the 3 weeks is waiting without playing it. And the 18 months is playing it! I'm dying to play this!

Cap...I've been trying Hamachi. Might be worth a look to resolve all the connectivity issues (Which still happen with Pitboss btw)

Sign me up. Suliman of the Ottomans. Strongly advise using Hamachi for ease of connection. In fact no hamachi no zen.

Top Bottom