1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Invitation to a long-term, epic, huge roleplaying game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PitBoss Games' started by Capsavian, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Nooble

Nooble Warlord

What does hamachi do anyway?

2. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

I'm not sure. I'm in about a dozen pitboss games one of which runs with Hamatchi. I don't have any connectivity problems with any of them with one little exception. In the non-Hatachi games I might need to try several times to get into the game when somebody else is already there; but eventually with retries it works. I have played a couple of sessions with all 12 players in the game and making moves in real-time; but this usually requires several attempts by several players to join. Maybe Hamachi makes that easier.

3. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

I'm unfamiliar with hamachi myself, and I'd prefer not to start installing things unless there is a need identified. Each new program adds to the resource drain and potential for new problems to pop up.

So, we will not be using hamachi nor any other third-party programs, until and unless the players deem such a product to be necessary to enhance the gaming experience.

4. Troymk1

Troymk1 Warlord

It creates a Virtual network. it does the job of connectivity to all peers. You create a network and invite others to join.

Cap I'm running it right now in the background, it seems very lowkey on resources and bandwidth.

5. Nooble

Nooble Warlord

Yes, it doesn't seem to take up much of your compute'rs resource.

6. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

One issue with Hamachi: the free version appears to be limited to just 16 total users. We have an 18 player game, so would two players still be able to access the network, even if they are not using Hamachi?

I'll be setting up the new forum this week--sorry I have not had a chance to do so sooner.

I've settled on a name: "Chaos and Civility" I think it will reflect the nature of our game, which will be populated by leaders of mixed motives (some chaotic and aggressive, others civilized and diplomatic).

7. bjarkekr

bjarkekr King

can the op make a list of the players who is in?? I would like to know if I was fast enough.

8. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

I will be posting a link to the forums this week, where the first 17 players to sign up and post there, will be designated a spot in the game.

Thanks for your interest.

9. Troymk1

Troymk1 Warlord

Cap, to your earlier question. I believe the answer is yes.

10. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

Thanks Troy. I'll give it consideration, and let the final 18 players chime in, after the game is up and running. Right now, it's going to swallow all of my spare time to just get this organized and running! ;)

11. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

It's finally happening! I will be announcing the link to the new forums for Chaos and Civility. :)

The link will be posted in this thread, on Wednesday, August 22 at noon MT (GMT-7).

Each player will need to register his/her account at the new forums, using the name they wish to use within the game (to minimize confusion), and they should post their choice of leader as well (no mixing of leaders with other civs, however duplicate leaders are allowed; so don't worry if someone else picks the same leader as you want).

The first 17 to register and post the above information, will be guaranteed a spot in the game. Anyone missing the cut will be welcomed to join in the discussions and serve as an alternate if they wish.

12. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

Well, I decided to take my lunch hour at home to catch this; but the site is not up yet and I need to get back to work.

Why does it need a seperate site anyway? You could just set a time limit on this site.

I'd like Portugal.

13. dribnairb

dribnairb Warlord

I've been sitting here pressing refresh for the last 15 minutes. Hope the forum is up soon cos I really need the loo :lol:

14. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

15. JMaltman

JMaltman Prince

And they're off!

Who are you choosing, Capsavian?

16. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

Yeah, sorry for the delay guys ('twas delayed at a client meeting). It was less than 15 minutes late though--Whiplash, can you still get in?

Thanks for the reminder, Maltman! LOL I'd forgotten to post my own leader until you reminded me. sheesh

17. JMaltman

JMaltman Prince

Still a few spots left... but they're going fast!

18. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

Indeed they are, wow!

ForesterSOF and FailedReality -- please post your leader choice.

19. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Sweet, there is one pot remaining and I took it. I almost thought that this had not started yet.

20. Capsavian

Capsavian Chieftain

Yes, congratulations for managing to squeeze in right under the wire! ;)

All 18 spots are now spoken for--anyone else who is interested are still welcome to register and sit as alternates though.

Discussions on this game will probably shift to the dedicated forums now, so if you are one of the "Chosen 18" be sure to subscribe to each board by clicking the "notify" button in the upper-right of each.