Pre-KhaNESII: S.P.Q.R

Btw about the army - shouldn't it's be decided by roman population ages 16-30 rather than buying legionaries?

For example agrarian changes that create more men with enough economy to buy weapons should increase the army numbers, no?

Or by this era all legionnaires are paid employees?

By this point, the Marian reforms have been passed. The Roman Legions, at least by Sulla's time, were already professional soldiers and were provided with standardised equipment by Rome.

As for the auxiliaries, they are also professional recruits. Its best to think of them less as 'my personal army' and more as 'the soldiers who are loyal to me and me alone, and are paid from taxes collected from my provinces.' A local garrison that moves with you, to put it this way. Its an abstraction, roll with it. :p

So I can't try and get the population to begin an uprising for example... The people are pretty much useless...? So no Caesar like rising with the people as the source of power?

So I can't try and get the population to begin an uprising for example... The people are pretty much useless...? So no Caesar like rising with the people as the source of power?

I actually have planned for that. There are traits which can do this automatically without RNG roll, which is done in the form of giving you extra soldiers for your personal army.

Alternatively, you can make calls for that in your orders. Remember, you're playing a Senator rather than any other body. You can write in your orders, "Go to central plaza in Province and give speech exhorting the Populares and urging the Plebs to rise up and join you blah blah." Whether you get soldiers, and how many, is determined by a) your traits, b) your stats, and c) the RNG.

Remember, and this goes out to everybody, (I may not have made this clear enough, which was a mistake) you are playing a Senator, and individual. You can do whatever you like in your orders, and its only limited by your creativity. If you want a personality trait, either RP it in the Senate thread or write it in your orders. You might get it, you might not, and it might not even be a positive trait, but you can try. The same goes for actions - do it. It might work, it might not, but the possibilities themselves are only limited to your imagination. If you want the Populares to rise up and join you, make the call!

So I can try and get the plebs to do a strike where they leave the city in order to push the rich into submission, just like really happened in reality?

the GM is putting ideas into his head ... :gripe:

So I can try and get the plebs to do a strike where they leave the city in order to push the rich into submission, just like really happened in reality?

You can try, but thats a pretty serious thing you're trying to do there and would be difficult.

the GM is putting ideas into his head ... :gripe:

Hey, I'm putting them into yours too. :p You could try to convince the Patricians to take matters into their own hands as well...

Once again, there are traits for the more conservative Senators as well, which may or may not be equally useful. I'm not going to tell you what traits do though. :p

Top Bottom