Pre-KhaNESII: S.P.Q.R

Are there any NPC senators?

I would suggest that NPC senators be inserted into the game in order to encourage senators to make policies that actually make sense vs bribing every other players.

I think NPC senators should have 10 votes total, divided into 5 parties: War, Civil, Mercantile, Optimates, and Populares.

These NPC senators will be forbidden to govern or lead armies. Their votes will go only to whatever consul that they feel best fits their party goals.

I understand that. But in the game system there are only 5 legions and many provinces. In Rome in fact the consuls were the military generals of the legions.

And in any case, this is still a game, and governors are powerful characters, making money, giving them a legion would make them even stronger, too strong for my in-game taste ;)

I think that we have far too few legions and that units, both Legionary and auxilia, are way to expensive. After all, back in early Republican Rome (200 years before), the consuls could raise 2 consular armies (4 Legions) per YEAR to fight people. This is the age of cheap manpower, and just scaling it so would aid in immersion.

Consuls are usually the generals on campaign, but praetors can act in that regard as well. Praetor = less lictors, no veto, less responsibility consul.

Anyway, there is a reason that Rome's treasury = sum of the provinces; funds for campaigns, graft, and other offices (get some quaestors, aediles, tribunes, and censors up in this joint) are all provided for under the authority of the consuls and SPQR via that treasury. Governors are supposed to be that powerful; you're being given the COMMAND of a PROVINCE.

I would suggest that NPC senators be inserted into the game in order to encourage senators to make policies that actually make sense vs bribing every other players.

I think NPC senators should have 10 votes total, divided into 5 parties: War, Civil, Mercantile, Optimates, and Populares.

These NPC senators will be forbidden to govern or lead armies. Their votes will go only to whatever consul that they feel best fits their party goals.

That sounds like a good idea.

I think we should have a populist party of Senators who's only job is to screw everybody else over.

I really hope people get what I'm referencing. It was actually a major inspiration for this NES.

Re: NPC Senators. Eh, I dunno. 5 Senators as NPCs seems like a lot, and I'm trying to stay out of voting as much as possible. On top of that, having them vote in 5 selfinterested parties would make them a kind of gigantic block that you'd have to overcome to get stuff done.

For example, lets take the militarists. If every candidate is advocating a campaign against the Pannonians, then which way do they vote? Well, if they're militarists we can assume that they are very conservative, which means that they'll vote for the more optimate candidates. But that means that PC populists have an extra hurdle of two votes to overcome, and have the deck naturally stacked against them.

I mean, yes, there's a balance, (the Populares have 2 votes for the populists as well), but on some policies someone is going to have the deck stacked against them, and its impossible to bribe them (since they can't lead armies or govern).

I dunno, I'll think about it.

Re: the treasury. The Treasury is going to increase dramatically as soon as you get a few governors in. Also, Management is incredibly easy to get, (i.e. you will gain management by just sitting around in your province as a governor) so by turn 2 your treasury is going to basically double. If I give you more money it would spiral out of control fast.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

I do agree that Legions might be too expensive though, I'll look into that.

Europa Universalis Rome.

Well Caesar was pretty militarist, but he was a Populist...

The more money isn't for us, it is for the Republic as a whole - Legionnaires are more than 40 for 300. The entire empire makes only about 50 currently. Shouldn't we able to hire more Legionnaires already?

Europa Universalis Rome.

I was thinking a specific Let's Play of EU: Rome they played on Something Awful.

Basically the guy set up a Cretan Senate of people to basically form into parties (which were pretty similar to those above) and basically make proposals and vote for them in a very formulaic way.

The Senate quickly turned into a partisan cluster****, and the Populists did everything they could go screw everything over in the name of democracy. After 3 civil wars, and multiple cases of the Senate's policies screwing the country over in wars, they eventually passed a really innocuous bill that said that the leader could do whatever he felt was necessary for the war effort. He then used the letter of that bill to seize complete power and institute a monarchy. It really was the greatest thing.

Highlights include allowing a guy to take the dictatorship and then trying to have him killed in the same senate session, and passing a law mandating that governors had to have the highest stats to govern in preparation for a transition to a different government type to block a Populist attempt at forcing a revolt in the transition, only to have them unable to transition due to a war and them never repealing it, savaging their technological progress for decades to come.

It really was the greatest thing, but they've archived it now so I can't read it. :(

Re: Legions. I'm trying to avoid you guys going on a gigantic conquering spree at the start of the game. Your current ~15,000 soldiers should be sufficient for dealing with most threats currently, and as long as you don't go trying to conquer Egypt or something you should be right.

Yeah, I was really tempted to just let you guys do it and destroy the paltry one Legion you'd send or something, and then have the Egyptian Army sail into Rome just so I can go "WTF, guys?"

Seriously though, the other reason Legions are expensive is because I don't want everybody running around with one. Legions are a privilege, so big a privilege that having one disenfranchises you. I don't want everybody running around with one, I want you to have to think before you hand one over. Is this worth losing a supporter, or should I give it to an enemy and risk starting civil war?

1. EU ROME - i hate the game mechanics .
2. the elections gonna be tight

Because a) I wanted to give you guys a little more variety in units, and b) all those units are also the units that non-Roman forces will use. Slave revolts may have gladiators in their ranks, whereas the Britons will likely have chariots.

Charioteers are more like, well, combat charioteers in the vein of the Briton war chariots than gladiatorial charioteers.

Also, gladiators are soldiers trained for personal combat all the time. They might be pretty good. Who knows?

Gladiators were used as private soldiers by the wealthy for a time. Mostly as bodyguards though and they never played a major part but the story goes that Milo (I believe) had around 300 gladiators in his force with which he attacked clodius. (this happened during the consulship of Pompeius, so not far off of out current time :).

More importantly though, having you personal army of gladiators is cool.

Chariots as troop-transports for specially trained elite soldiers might work well. Some historians even claim that is the main purpose of the chariot during the main battle. The other main purpose is a mobile archery platform that maintains distance and volume of fire at slower infantry targets. The scythe/chariot charges only happened when the enemy line is broken or during the twilight of the Chariot Era and they (generals) are trying to do SOMETHING with their chariotry forces.

EDIT: Of course, having a 4-horse 4-men monstrosity running at you at seemingly unstoppable momentum is scary enough.

Also: elephants?

Top Bottom