• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Preliminary Tips and Strategy

Trickster7135

Prince
Played through a couple of games on standard size/speed with Greeks and India. Here's some notes I've come up with to help myself and anyone else when adjusting to this new civ:

1. Make city-states your friends. Obviously Greeks have a better time of this, but even India did a fine job. The Indian bonus, which encourages not rexing, is well suited to making friends with city-states and using them as national borders against other civs. Additionally, keeping city-states in good graces becomes very easy once you get to Patronage social policies, and is very lucrative regardless of your desired path to victory. Even cultured city-states make great allies for warmongers, as there is plenty of military bonus social polices you can invest in.

2. Standard speed games are slower than they were in civ4, its more like playing on epic. Military units in general take longer to produce, compared to buildings, than in civ4.

3. Gold is everything in this game. With enough gold, you can buy a worker, monument, temple, ect for a new city and not worry that it has no production. In fact, you can ignore production almost completely, food and gold are so much better. Farm those river hills, only bother with mines on hills not near a water source. Use gold to buy buildings, buy military, buy city-states, buy land. Everything but techs and improvements can be bought in this game.

4. Going in line with #3, farm every riverside plot. Irrigation doesn't exist anymore, but Civil Service tech now just gives +1 food on riverside farms. And since now population is what determines science rate, getting huge populations is even more important than in civ4. Even if there was a slavery-like social policy, whipping citizens would be horrible in this game.

5. On a standard sized map, you may only be able to found three or four total cities in good locations and distances from each other before you run out of room. Don't be tempted to conquer the weak city-states! Become friends and allies, then use them to station your troops and start taking out a real civ nearby.

6. If you're pursuing a peaceful strategy, you don't need to worry about expanding your empire. The three or four cities you can found at the start of the game is all you need. Building culture for social policies or even a cultural victory is made more difficult for every city to have, as the needed culture is increased for each city you have.

7. Barbarians are a real force in this game. Its like playing with raging barbarians and barbarian city challenge, and they just keep poping up. Taking the first part of the tradition social policy before you build any other policy would be a good idea. Barbarians will be a problem into the middle ages, and taking them out is a great way to get on good terms with city-states. Releasing captured workers from other civs is a great way to get on good terms.

8. If you are pursing a military strategy, don't just annex other civs cities, its not worth the trouble. Turn them into puppet states.

9. Land will be unclaimed for most of the game. Build cities by resources, as a city not next to any is generally not worth the trouble. Only buy land if you need a critical resource like iron or horses, or your city culture is not expanding the borders fast enough for your population growth.

10. Every building has a gold per turn maintenance. Building every building in every city is foolish. Designate one city your military production city (probably the only one you would focus on building mines instead of trading posts), and only build military buildings there. Only build happiness buildings as they are needed or will be needed soon (when you have 5 or less happiness, basically). I suggest only building culture and food buildings in every city. The only maintenance free buildings are the gold producing once (market, bank, ect), so if you have nothing worth building, build those even if the city only makes 5 gold a turn.

11. You need much fewer military units compared to civ4. Since there is no unit stacking, you can't even effectively attack a city with more than 6 or so units (3 melee, 3 ranged). Usually, two or three horsemen are all you need in the classical era, and having them pillage improvements is a fantastic source of income (I've gotten up to 30 gold just from a farm, in the middle ages). Also, there are no free units anymore, you pay in gold for every unit you have.

That's all I got for now, if anyone wants to add their own, feel free! I certainly haven't got a full grasp on this game yet, and I doubt anyone has either.

Really interesting insights. I've only played the dmeo and am really looking forward to understand the game mechanic of later gaming.
#3 is the most interesting part here. Production is really slow without any production boost buildings. But is it really possible to replace production with gold the whole game? Is this true for every difficulty?

Very nice, I am finding the same things.

2. Standard speed games are slower than they were in civ4, its more like playing on epic. Military units in general take longer to produce, compared to buildings, than in civ4.

Yes, its insanely slow to produce anything. I've gone to playing on quick.

3. Gold is everything in this game. With enough gold, you can buy a worker, monument, temple, etc. for a new city and not worry that it has no production. In fact, you can ignore production almost completely, food and gold are so much better. Farm those river hills, only bother with mines on hills not near a water source. Use gold to buy buildings, buy military, buy city-states, buy land. Everything but techs and improvements can be bought in this game.

However, it costs 4 gold per cost of a building to buy it, plus an additional 100. (I think). I'm spending most of my money friending or allying city states. Buying building seems insanely expensive. How are you generating more money?
Building a trading post only gives 2, thats like 1/2 a production. Doesnt seem worth it unless you get the rationalism policy that makes it give tech.

#3 is the most interesting part here. Production is really slow without any production boost buildings. But is it really possible to replace production with gold the whole game? Is this true for every difficulty?

If anyone knows how to make this work I'd love it. I find that using gold for buying buildigns is even more expensive.

I'm really struggling with the whole city-state thing. I don't generate enough gold to keep them happy. It is so expensive to buy influence that degrades faster than I can keep up with it. Seems to me that the mechanics behind this need to be modified. What am I missing here?

Production is really slow without any production boost buildings.
Partly people I think just need to get used to not being able to afford every building and huge armies. The tension between buildings OR army is much higher.

What am I missing here?
Some city states are hostile, and are very expensive to maintain. Don't bother.
You can't afford to keep all the city states onside. Pick a few that support your strategy (of the appropriate type, or strategically placed).
Quests are cheaper than gold bribes.
City states aren't amazingly cost-effective without patronage policies.

Very nice, I am finding the same things.

However, it costs 4 gold per cost of a building to buy it, plus an additional 100. (I think). I'm spending most of my money friending or allying city states. Buying building seems insanely expensive. How are you generating more money?
Building a trading post only gives 2, thats like 1/2 a production. Doesnt seem worth it unless you get the rationalism policy that makes it give tech.

Its easier on India because of the huge populations you can get, but basically the strategy is to building nothing but farms and trading posts. Rush to currency tech for more gold, build trade routes between your cities, take out barbarians to make gold, sell excess resources to nearby civs for ludicrous amounts of gold. I was able to sell a duplicate happiness recourse for 250 gold and 15 gold per turn, during the classical age.

I usually only use gold regularly to rush settlers, monuments, and temples, or military units if a barbarian spawns near my cities while my army is playing somewhere else. The point is, is that its so versatile, there's really no need to focus on anything else. Also, mines only give +1 production, while trading posts give +2 gold.

On another note, I'm starting to think India may have the overall best civ ability. Its so versatile in function, and provides a huge bonus that would have been crippling in civ4 (seeing as rexxing is moderately discouraged in this game).

Partly people I think just need to get used to not being able to afford every building and huge armies. The tension between buildings OR army is much higher.

Every building has a gold per turn maintenance. Building every building in every city would be foolish. Designate one city your military production city (probably the only one you would focus on building mines instead of trading posts), and only build military buildings there. The fact is, you don't need to build many buildings, and much, much fewer military units are needed compared to civ4. Since there is no unit stacking, you can't even effectively attack a city with more than 6 or so units (3 melee, 3 ranged).

I actually turn my production into gold in my capital fairly early in the middle ages, as it just wasn't worth it to build anything else for a time.

You should probably add that Mercantilism and eventually Militarism social policies are a good complement to this.

Alternatively:
Build cheap units, and use Professional Army to discount upgrading them.

Every building has a gold per turn maintenance. Building every building in every city would be foolish. Designate one city your military production city (probably the only one you would focus on building mines instead of trading posts), and only build military buildings there. The fact is, you don't need to build many buildings, and much, much fewer military units are needed compared to civ4. Since there is no unit stacking, you can't even effectively attack a city with more than 6 or so units (3 melee, 3 ranged).

I actually turn my production into gold in my capital fairly early in the middle ages, as it just wasn't worth it to build anything else for a time.

It's too bad that some National Wonders (like Heroic Epic) require a building (barracks) in every city.

Played through a couple of games on standard size/speed with Greeks and India. Here's some notes I've come up with to help myself and anyone else when adjusting to this new civ:

1. Make city-states your friends. Obviously Greeks have a better time of this, but even India did a fine job. The Indian bonus, which encourages not rexing, is well suited to making friends with city-states and using them as national borders against other civs. Additionally, keeping city-states in good graces becomes very easy once you get to Patronage social policies, and is very lucrative regardless of your desired path to victory. Even cultured city-states make great allies for warmongers, as there is plenty of military bonusing social polies you can invest in.

Totally agree. After playing (or starting) a few games, I quickly realized that city-states are huge in this game. In one game, the amount of food I was getting from 2 city-states was amazing. Same goes with culture.

Agreed.

3. Gold is everything in this game. With enough gold, you can buy a worker, monument, temple, ect for a new city and not worry that it has no production. In fact, you can ignore production almost completely, food and gold are so much better. Farm those river hills, only bother with mines on hills not near a water source. Use gold to buy buildings, buy military, buy city-states, buy land. Everything but techs and improvements can be bought in this game.

Yep, one of the things are well as grouping the cities closer together so that the road maintenance won't negate the trade route income. Unless of course the capital and a far away city are coastal, then a harbor will do.

Also, let's not forget the trading post for gold. I mean, you can have a city that builds trading posts everywhere, even rivers, because your Granary, Watermill and city-states are taking care of the food.

4. Going in line with #3, farm every riverside plot. Irrigation doesn't exist anymore, but Caste System tech now just gives +1 food on riverside farms. And since now population is what determines science rate, getting huge populations is even more important than in civ4. Even if there was a slavery-like social policy, whipping citizens would be horrible in this game.

I think you mean Civil Service, but point taken.

5. On a standard sized map, you may only be able to found three or four total cities in good locations and distances from each other before you run out of room. Don't be tempted to conquer the weak city-states! Become friends and allies, then use them to station your troops and start taking out a real civ nearby.

Great point.

6. If you're pursuing a peaceful strategy, you don't need to worry about expanding your empire. The three or four cities you can found at the start of the game is all you need. Building culture for social policies or even a cultural victory is made more difficult for every city to have, as the needed culture is increased for each city you have.

In your estimation, how many cities is enough, say for a space race. Can you generate enough population to get the science rate up to quickly research in the later stage of the game? I mean, some techs like Robotics are 3350 beakers. At 1430AD, I have a beaker rate of 156 per turn, so that means it would take me 21 turns or research. Seems abit long but I'm sure there are ways to increase it and I move later in the game.

7. Barbarians are a real force in this game. Its like playing with raging barbarians and barbarian city challenge, and they just keep poping up. Taking the first part of the tradition social policy before you build any other policy would be a good idea. Barbarians will be a problem into the middle ages, and taking them out is a great way to get on good terms with city-states. Releasing captured workers from other civs is a great way to get on good terms.

Again, excellent point. I use to take honour as my 3rd policy. BUt in Civ 5 like Civ 4, defense is key plus barbarian encampments give gold.

8. If you are pursing a military strategy, don't just annex other civs cities, its not worth the trouble. Turn them into puppet states.

9. Land will be unclaimed for most of the game. Build cities by resources, as a city not next to any is generally not worth the trouble. Only buy land if you need a critical resource like iron or horses, or your city culture is not expanding the borders fast enough for your population growth.

I would even argue to buy land to get a resource like Gold, Silver or Gems.

That's all I got for now, if anyone wants to add thier own, feel free! I certainly haven't got a full grasp on this game yet, and I doubt anyone has either.

Excellent list. Look forward to more.

What's you initial build like? Do you go Scout first or worker first? Or maybe a warrior?

Scouts move quicker but aren't always strong enough to kill barb encampments. Worker first is always solid because working unimproved tiles is bad just like Civ 4.

I've been struggling with my initial build order simply because things take so long to produce. I'm wondering if getting the early settler out to settle a high production area would be worth it to produce milirary. As some has already suggested, it takes forever early to build units.

That's all I got for now, if anyone wants to add thier own, feel free! I certainly haven't got a full grasp on this game yet, and I doubt anyone has either.

Good stuff, Trickster. The Civ V forum is so polluted right now with garbage threads that it's hard to sort through and find anything useful. I'm so used to IV that the game mechanics are still throwing me off in a big way, but like IV, finding and settling an early food heavy spot and feeding scientists seems pretty crucial. Great Scientists will now grant any free techs so long as you have the prerequisites. I think city specialization is going to be important as well, but rather than building gp/commerce/research/wealth/units it will be building gp/wealth/culture/units. Keep the tips coming!

Some things I've learned so far:

-Happiness resources are everything. Buildings and policies will help you later on, but the only source of happiness in the early game are from resources. That said, if I see a happiness resource I don't have, I'll rush a settler there ASAP.

-Forbidden Palace is a ridiculous wonder if you have a large empire. Go for Banking early if you need it built.

-Send out some units to help city-states that want a barb encampment taken care of.

-Cultural city states become less powerful as the game progresses. Militaristic city states become more powerful as the game progresses. Maritime city states are always nice.

-The AI is terrible at warfare.

I'm really struggling with the whole city-state thing. I don't generate enough gold to keep them happy. It is so expensive to buy influence that degrades faster than I can keep up with it. Seems to me that the mechanics behind this need to be modified. What am I missing here?

I'm making the gold i need to befriend them by selling all my strategic resources to AIs.
Then, the city state alliances give me resources so I get them back.

One important caveat: puppet states do not increase the among of culture required per SP, but do give you their gold, science, and (for cultural victory, most importantly) their culture. Best of all, puppet states seem to like to build a Monument and a Temple for their first two buildings. A great strategy for a warmongering cultural victory is to basically "farm" the AI players: capture and puppetize all of their cities except one, trade peace for all of their gold, resources, and gpt. Wait 30 turns for the gpt deal to end and for the AI to build a few more cities (if they're down to one city, they seem to like to expand rapidly), conquer them, and repeat.

Also, work all of your Great Artist slots. Building landmarks isn't horrible as there are a fair number of culture multipliers, but the culture bomb is usually a better use. Since you only get 3 or so non puppet cities (and thus only get to decide the location for these cities), you're dependent on either city-states or rapid-tile expansion to get access to strategic resources. City-states are the better choice due to the Cultural Diplomacy SP, but having a couple great artists hanging around can be useful when you discover that the only source of oil is three rings outside of your borders.

This strategy also works well for science and diplomatic victories, as more cities = more science/more gold to gift to city-states.

It's too bad that some National Wonders (like Heroic Epic) require a building (barracks) in every city.

Continuing on the "puppets are awesome" theme, you only need the building in every non-puppet city. If you have a few core cities that you control directly and legions of puppets, you can get the National Wonders up fairly easily.

-Cultural city states become less powerful as the game progresses.

In absolute numbers, they become more powerful. But yes, I agree: early game, they look like they'll provide around 60-70% of total culture per down, dropping sharply later on. I'd say they're still worth maintaining relations with, however, for basically any strategy that doesn't involve so many cities that SP become prohibitively expensive.

Militaristic city states become more powerful as the game progresses.

Ideally, yes. But I got a string of warriors and scouts in the Renaissance. Haven't played enough to know if this was just bad luck, or the result of a bad unit selection algorithm.

I would even argue to buy land to get a resource like Gold, Silver or Gems.

Only if its a happiness recourse you don't have yet. Reasoning being, nearby resources are always the first thing your cities expand to via culture, so you don't have to worry about it. Unless you're rolling in money, like I usually am by 1000 AD or so (usually +100 gold per turn not in a golden age).

What's you initial build like? Do you go Scout first or worker first? Or maybe a warrior?

Scouts move quicker but aren't always strong enough to kill barb encampments. Worker first is always solid because working unimproved tiles is bad just like Civ 4.

I've been struggling with my initial build order simply because things take so long to produce. I'm wondering if getting the early settler out to settle a high production area would be worth it to produce milirary. As some has already suggested, it takes forever early to build units.

Honestly, scouts are a waste of time. Warriors move just as quickly, and can usually move in a way that ignores the movement penalty for forests and hills. Moving plains to hill is the same for a warrior and a scout. Warriors can also take out barbarians and upgrade to spearmen.

The first thing I usually build is a warrior. Exploration + defense from barbarians is critical. Remember, the first person to discover a natural wonder or city-state gets an extra bonus.

As far as settlers, I don't bother with them until I've researched calendar. Why? Unless you're sitting next to gold or silver, calender resources are almost all happiness. A new city will provide almost 5 unhappiness right away (2 from city, 1 per population, the first couple of populations build quickly), and in this game, happiness is the real limiter on expansion. While you can dip below happiness temporarily, it will have negative consequences through out your empire. And early game, the capital is the only real city that can produce anything anyways.

My build order for the capital is usually:
warrior -> worker -> worker -> settler

My tech order is usually:
pottery -> calendar -> mining -> everything else

By the time I build a settler, I usually have mining (for chopping), and have had calender long enough to build a happiness improvement.

Then I just chop a monument and granary in both cities.

it takes 4-5 times as much gold as hammers to buy units/buildings

seems much more cost effective to bribe city states with that money

it takes 4-5 times as much gold as hammers to buy units/buildings

seems much more cost effective to bribe city states with that money

I thought the same thing, but between missions and the fact that it takes several turns to lose relations with city-states, I find myself with enough gold to still buy some buildings at a ratio of about 1 bought per 2-3 build.

That said, city-states are amazing and are a huge asset in this game. With the pace of everything, City-state bonuses are just incredible. In one game by the end (a conquest victory), City states were covering 50% of my culture output toward policies.

-The AI is terrible at warfare.

I was afraid of that. It's hard enough to write an AI that handles strategic warfare (as in the previous games) but once you get down to the tactical level, it could be nearly impossible. As I recall in Panzer/Fantasy/Pacific General, you were usually greatly outnumbered - and that's what made it challenging.

Regarding production:

Hammer overflow is lost! (at least in the demo version, I guess it is the same in the final version?)

So finally we are back to Civ3 times, where you had to micromanage your city. I like that! :)

However, MM is a lot easier now. You just can switch the city governour emphasis.

Example: your city produces a certain building/unit.
With emphasis on Production you need three turns to complete it while having + 1 Food
With emphasis on Food you need three turns to complete it as well while having + 3 Food

I guess it is an easy decision ;)

Top Bottom