Problems loading starting saves

I've been working extensively on modding. Everything kept in "custom assets" folder. I removed that folder before trying to use the GOTM file.

Maybe the modding work has made my Civ a little screwy.

I appreciate the continued efforts.

WaxonWaxov said:
I've been working extensively on modding. Everything kept in "custom assets" folder. I removed that folder before trying to use the GOTM file.

Maybe the modding work has made my Civ a little screwy.

I appreciate the continued efforts.
Have you changed any of the normal units or buildings, or added a new one to an existing civilization, or changed any of the default civilizations in any way?

Gyathaar said:
Have you changed any of the normal units or buildings, or added a new one to an existing civilization, or changed any of the default civilizations in any way?

No. Everything I've done was kept in custom assets.

I have a new theory.... I have Visual Studio 6 installed on my machine. My error message box is titled "Mirosoft Visual C++ runtime error"

This raises the question: Does Dusty4prez have Visual C++ installed on his machine?

If so, could that the common link between he and I?

I mean how many people who play Civ also have expensive programming software on their PCs?

Visual Studio may change the way the error is presented, as it intercepts it and could offer debugging facilities if the application were debug-enabled. However, I don't think it is responsible for the error.

You can probably tell VS not to trap runtime errors, and then I'd expect you would just see the usual crash to desktop that's so familiar around these parts, presumably with an option to send a report to Microsoft.

I think the most likely explanation for the crash is that something you've changed while modding has affected your base installation, and even though you don't use those mods they are interfering in some way. Is it possible to completely remove all your mod files ... or even to reinstall and re-patch to a clean copy of Civ 4 .. and then to try loading the start file?

AlanH said:
Is it possible to completely remove all your mod files ... or even to reinstall and re-patch to a clean copy of Civ 4 .. and then to try loading the start file?

Yea, I can probably try that. My concern is that with the "it-doesn't-uninstall-everything" syndrome, the problem will still be there.

Is there a list somewhere of all the hidden files and such that the Civ4 uninstaller might leave behind?

I will make the attempt this evening, around 6pm US Central, midnight GMT.

As I don't have it you'll have to wait for someone else to help on what pigeon droppings Civ4 leaves around your system. I do recall that mention has been made of a folder in your "My Documents" folder or whatever M$ calls it these days.

I'll be around at 6pm CST, but can't promise to be very helpful, as you are drifting into areas I can't play in on my Mac. I hope one of the PC-lovin' staff can pick up on this.

Hi,

I get the Runtime error too... I have no idea why. Iv'e never had Visual Studio installed on my computer, and all other saved games work fine.

I wonder if this is something that the CIV team needs to look at?

:confused:
I want to get my ass kicked in the GOTM, but I can't...:sad:

Have you tried to load other saves to see if they load ok? (I assume they wont)
Like saves from succession games

hurricane766 said:
I wonder if this is something that the CIV team needs to look at?
You think we aren't?

What do you think the posts and efforts described in this thread are all about?

WaxonWaxov said:
Yea, I can probably try that. My concern is that with the "it-doesn't-uninstall-everything" syndrome, the problem will still be there.

Is there a list somewhere of all the hidden files and such that the Civ4 uninstaller might leave behind?

I will make the attempt this evening, around 6pm US Central, midnight GMT.

You should delete:

"C:\Program Files\Firaxis"
"C:\Documents and Settings\<Your-User-Name>\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"

"C:\Documents and Settings\<Your-User-Name>\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"
Edit: Udated with correct "Application Data" path information.

"<Your-User-Name>" is whatever your user name is. It would be "Owner" if you didn't change it.

If you can't see these folders in windows explorer you need to turn on the option to view Hidden Files:

Don't forget to save your patch file from "my games" if you did the in game update.

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to reboot before installing again.

Gyathaar said:
Have you tried to load other saves to see if they load ok? (I assume they wont)
Like saves from succession games

Games created on my machine work ok. Where should I look to fnid another save game to try?

I loaded waxxy's save and it worked fine

WaxonWaxov said:
Games created on my machine work ok. Where should I look to fnid another save game to try?

There are lots of savedgames in Upload Folder 10 - click Upload Files at teh bottom of the page and there's a link to Upload Folder 10 at the bottom of that window. You need to find one that's version 1.09, though. Here are a couple from there that I've checked for the correct version:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/LK109_AD-1145.Civ4SavedGame

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/DG01_Snake_Eye_AD-1450.Civ4SavedGame

neither of them work for me

Well, if they don't work for Dusty, they probably won't for me.
I'm going to reinstall and try. I want to do some PBEM and I'm guessing I'll problems with that as well if I don't.

I thought I would be able to play/work on this problem this evening, but alas, the girlfriend has decided she needs attention. :rolleyes:

AlanH said:
You think we aren't?

What do you think the posts and efforts described in this thread are all about?

No, I know you are trying to fix this, but what I meant was Civ Firaxis team members... unless you are one of those too - in which case I didn't know - sorry.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling/patching ASAP and let you all know how it goes... I'll also try those other save that you've posted.

Anyways I do appreciate your help :)

Sorry, speed reading will get you every time :(

No, I'm not on the CIV-IV Firaxis team. I imagine they will only be able or willing to help if we can give them some specifics, and can demonstrate that there's nothing we've done to our GOTM start file that uniquely causes this problem. Now that we can determine that the problem affects your ability to load other files as well then we have a basis for them to work on.

Top Bottom