1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive MP game thread

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by Thunderbrd, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Alberts has msgd me and Spirictum has had some success in this kind of department before so I'm optimistic that my ignorance won't mean the buck stops here.

2. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Yes, I did have that in there. I had put it in there before I tried making those two Multiplayer games I made earlier. Always good to check though. Did you change it after your initial upload of it?

As a note, trying to load the next turn on the MP games that I initiated also results in the same sort of crash that JosEPh encountered in the first place. In other words, loading hangs at "Initializing" with a popup window hidden behind the loading screen with the error message. Dang hard to get rid of, but I managed it without rebooting.

3. Harrier

Harrier Deity

Now that is strange. I thought I got that message because I had deleted the "New Cultures" from "My_Mods". So something else is happening.

I did not get the black screen - just the message.

@All If I do not remove them the game does not load to the first screen. If I do I get the message Magnus got.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I'm updating my C2C MP folder now, so is there a game which I should see first?

@Tbrd
    Which are the calls you can get from the Stack Frame? I don't know how much time it'll take me to update the folder, so any help ahead will be great.

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@Spirictum,
    Try to play the save game in \SVN\C2C MP\Save+TurnList\Cnsrv MP Game saves. It my save game for Harrier after I took the initial turn for the Conservative game.

JosEPh

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I also put a savegame in the progressive folder that I'm trying to hand off to whisperr and it encounters the same.

As for stacks... it's ... a little more complicated than I can explain. You'll have to just load it and see what I mean.

7. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I've updated the C2C MP folder but there are no saves in the Prgsv Mp Game saves folder

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Update the progressive folder now... I'd forgotten to tell tortoise to add that file. Just committed it.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@T-brd,
    Tried to load that save game you posted. As soon as it started the screen had a pop up with this message: Mods\C2C MP Prgsv\ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring.
    So I clicked the OK button screen turns black. I hit Ctrl/Alt/del and a New pop up appears which says;
    The save file you have selected requires the following mod to be loaded: <b>Mods\C2C MP Prgsv\<b>
    Then: The application must restart
    I clicked OK.
    Then BtS load screen comes up and load the BtS screen. But it has no Menu. in upper right corner is a new box saying, Menu init failed (i did not get it all written down).
    Used Ctrl/Alt?del to get Task manager back up and was able to End Task for Civ IV BtS.

In both instances the " _" you have in your Mod name was Not shown. I do not think the Civ IV\BtS engine recognizes the " _" as a valid character for a Mod's name.

EDIT: One other thing I noticed, the SVN C2C MP v37 has a User Settings folder that is not the default User Settings folder with only the CustomDomAdv Folder. It was loaded with presets. I don't think that is right for a Base to work off of for Pbem games. So when we made copies of C2C MP v37 and then renamed those "copies" to C2C MP Cnsv and C2C_MP_Prgsv to put in our BtS\Mods\ folder with that preset User settings we may have created a problem for a Pbem game.

JosEPh

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  10. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Back in post #75 of this thread, Thunderbrd said that the mod folder's name should be "C2C MP Prgsv" with no _ characters. Save game files always have them, even when the Game name does not. If you have _ in your mod folder's name, that would be an error.

EDIT: Tried to load the save game to Whisperr, but just got black screen with no error message and no actual crash. Well, that's not quite true. It did go away when I tried alt-tab to look for an error message.

EDIT2: The darndest thing just happened. As I just mentioned, when I alt-tabbed out of the game to look for an error message, the game closed - or at least I thought it did. I am certain there was no taskbar icon for it. Just now (IE, about an hour later) the taskbar icon for Civ4 is there. I click on it and it brings up the error message of "protected game". Clicking OK there closes the game. I *could* have just missed seeing that icon for an hour, but I don't think that it was there until just now. Very weird.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  11. Acularius

Acularius King

Oh darn, have we started this?
    It's been a while, can someone explain what I need to do to get on board? I don't want to slack behind on this. :)

That being said, hopefully the errors can be resolved.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

As soon as we've sorted things out we'll get you onboard Acularius. Just... be watching the thread here and your PMs.

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok, we are a go!

To set this up on the player end,

1. Update your core Caveman2Cosmos mod folder to rev 9445.

2. Copy the main Caveman2Cosmos mod folder.

3. Past that into Firaxis Games/Beyond the Sword/ Mods

4. Rename that new mod folder: C2C MP Prgsv

5. Update the C2C MP SVN folder.

6. Copy the UserSettings folder from the Prgsv MP Game folder Under the Save+TurnList folder.

7. Paste into the C2C MP SVN folder.

8. Assuming it's your turn, doubleclick on the savegame in the C2C MP SVN folder->Save+TurnList->Prgsv MP Game saves folder.

9. After you hit the red button and exit the game (do NOT save again after hitting the red button EVER) find the automatic save in My Games->Beyond the Sword->Saves->pbem->C2C MP Prgsv.

10. Rename the save to C2C_MP_Prgsv_Game.CivBeyondSwordSave

11. Drag and drop that save to Save+TurnList->Prgsv MP Game saves, overwriting the one that's currently there.

12. Open the Prgsv_MP_Game_turnlist.txt file and change the * to indicate the next player. Save and exit.

13. Commit the changes to the Prgsv MP Game saves folder to the C2C MP SVN.

14. Post you've taken your turn here.

Spirictum! You were doing a fantastic job of debugging but apparently it must've had something to do with a corrupt fileset somehow so you can abandon that quest and you and your lady can take your turns!

I do have an immediate debugging task for you in the main though. SO is having a problem I'm not sure how to solve. Meet me in the bugs and crashes thread on that if you would when you can.

14. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

We will take our turns tomorrow as it's really late right now. But I'm going to the bugs and crashes now to at least start seeing what's re talking about.

15. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Sorry for the delay, I got away from any source internet for quite some time, but I'm back.

I tried loading the savegame but the game being locked because of assets message popped up again. I've read the other thread already, and it seems this is happening again. To me the messages are appearing exactly as they did before, before I can even start loading the game, so no black screen, no eternal loop nor CTD, it simply puts me back in the screen to choose which option inside of PBEM I want (new game, new scenario or load game). I have no idea how to debug this.

16. Acularius

Acularius King

Sorry I was late, but I'm setting things up as we speak. :D

17. Acularius

Acularius King

I must confess, I am stuck.
    Basically got the Rev 9445 from svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk.
    Copied it over to the appropriately named folder but I am not sure how to proceed at step 5. As I don't have a 'C2C MP SVN' folder, and I apologise if I am overlooking another thread that directs the appropriate location of said repo.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok, aside from us having some overall bigtime issues here, this is good to get you past.

You need to setup a second repository in your documents somewhere. The address to checkout is:
    svn+ssh://koshling@svn.code.sf.net/p/c2cmp/code/trunk c2cmp-code
    except replace 'koshling' with your own sourceforge username. Or just svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/c2cmp/code/trunk c2cmp-code

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

So far, I've been able to figure out that the code hits:

OutputDebugString("Reseting Game with Source: End");

in
    void CvInitCore::resetGame(CvInitCore * pSource, bool bClear, bool bSaveGameType)
    in the DLL twice before it hits that popup. The popup appears to be taking place in user32.dll. I don't know much about that DLL or even where it's located. But it's as invisible to us as the EXE. One strange thing is that when you see where it's last stopping in our DLL, we get to see the game data and it's not yet the data from the savegame. It appears to be just a default set of game settings. So I think it's cleared and set defaults and is about to go into the savegame data itself to set everything according to that savegame data. Somehow, before it starts to do that, it hits some incompatibility detector. What's triggering that is frustratingly elusive.

EDIT: oddly enough, the game data doesn't seem to have been loaded in the least before this is triggered, and if it is, it's only loaded default setup data. I tried removing the usersettings folder entirely. It did not work to get a different result.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  20. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Just adding the ".svn" folder to the C2C MP Prgsv folder (in BtS/Mods) and tried to load the save in the Prgsv folder. Still crashes in the same way.