1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive MP game thread

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by Thunderbrd, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

It seems like a lot to me, even if it doesn't to you. This is because I generally play SP with fewer starting Civs than 16 (usually about half that) on Huge maps or larger. On the other hand, this is "your" game, so I will have to bend to your preferences.

I am reasonably certain that all the units involved met all those criteria and there was no merge button. However, it was a while ago, and I may be forgetting something and/or may have overlooked something at the time.

Would it be possible to have the Merge button appear all the time, and list exactly what does not match if it is not usable at that moment? As it is, it can be frustrating with not having a reference in-game.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to make that happen unfortunately. I'm working with stock examples of mission setups. There may be some kind of option switch somewhere that allows that but I don't know of it.

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

If using Planet generator 0.68 then each player and AI can have their own "continent" and then you can add more for exploration. Plus keep water % to 40%.
    16 is not too much for a Huge map although it will have an earlier "discovery" time for meeting neighbors.

Under the settings I just stated with the "extra" continents and allowing "tiny islands" plus the other Isalnd setting T-brd used then the map is a bit more crowded with land mass and the 4 water tile separation makes generating that map a bit harder. Can be done though. I had such a map saved in my screenshot folder but deleted it today. Otherwise I could have given you a visual Magnus.

Lots of factors to weigh if you want meeting the "jones" held off for awhile. ;)

JosEPh

4. Harrier

Harrier Deity

Yes, sorry not to be part of it. But when I upgrade my PC. I am sure there will be another game.

Also I have Joe's game to look forward to. See you there.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I just ran a test and there was beyond plenty of room on a huge sized map... I'm almost worried too much. Even with 4 spaces between, with common islands you could probably circumnavigate very early on the test map. The map is really big for that many players. Should be more than enough size! I'll check now to see if I can't get this up and running.

@Harrier: If you're enjoying the other game and we get a player that falls out here maybe we can get you in then. I'll enjoy having you in the Conservative game anyhow :).

6. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Once I circumnavigated the globe in RoM-AND in the Classical Era using Plante Generator 0.68, not sure which were the full settings I used though.

@Tbrd
    She will go as Theodora, and I'm still unsure which roman to choose. She is coming to the pc now and then we will create her profile here in CFC to say hello. We are going to start a game soon so we can at least see the new options in play before playing this game.

7. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

You could always just have him (IE, Thunderbrd) select Roman as Civ and leave Leader as Random, and it should just randomly choose between the Roman Leaders. I think so anyway.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Where is the current team list?

Cnsrv game is up and running, waiting on Harrier to wade thru initial instructions. ;)

JosEPh

9. Snowfall

Snowfall Chieftain

Hello! I'm Spirictum's girlfriend, it'll be great to play with you. He always talks about his games of CIV through all these years we have been together. I think it'll be nice to learn to play this game with him and with many people.

10. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Thunderbrd put the turnlist file for this game in the folder for it. You can see the order there.

11. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Welcome Snowfall! :wavey:

I hear that Brazilian women can Charm a bird out of a tree right into their lovely hands! :mischief:

It will be an Honor to have you play this game with us. :)

JosEPh :old:

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I put you down for Caesar... the most iconic Roman really. But if you want another, let me know before later tonight!

Hello and well met! I like the name and the avatar is awesome! I'm quite happy to have you join us. You might want to take some personal time to play some practice games with these settings to give yourself an opportunity to have certain strategies come to mind. This is, after all, one of the most complex strategy games of all time. Particularly with these options in play. But I'm loving your willingness to dive right in with us! Thanks for joining. Whisperr is happy she's not the only girl :).

13. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

I was hoping you'd enable Revolutions. :sad:

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

We'll have to have someone who likes Rev start a game for Rev players.

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

@Koshling & Spirictum:

I have encountered a bug in the code here that is beyond my ability to solve. I'm completely lost as to what the problem is but what's happening is I can start a game, complete the turn, and that saves the game - good so far - but then crashes when the next player attempts to load the game. I suspect the same thing will be happening with the Conservative game as well. I suspect that the NPC split overlooked a detail because it has something to do with some miscount of players taking place.

A while back, Alberts pointed out a problem with version.h and I tried to solve it by addressing new builds that are more in-line with how I THINK that's supposed to be set. It did not work. However, I've included the debug and final dlls in the MP SVN in the v37 fileset based on that attempt. I've also included my savegame that's supposed to be going to Whisperr here.

If one of y'all cannot solve this, I have to basically sadly surrender on this one and admit that v37 irrevocably broke PBEM games. I'm hoping one of you can have better luck (skill) than I have.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@T-brd,
    I just tried to load Harrier's turn from my save. It seemed to be stuck during Initializing. So I Alt-Tabbed out and there was a pop up from Civ saying:
    So when I clicked the OK button the game exited to desktop.

I would assume this is what you got from whisperr's attempt?

JosEPh

17. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Load Fail.png Just tried the save going to Harrier, it got to the point where the whole screen changes to the initial background, but before any load messages appeared the screen went black with the above. It did not even wait for me to click OK, it just closed itself. [Image is cropped, only black screen removed.]

18. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Did you have the proper User Settings folder placed in the C2C Cnsv MP Mod? The one that I put into the C:\...........\SVN\C2C MP\Save+TurnList\Cnsrv MP Game saves\UserSettings?

If yes, then perhaps I put in the wrong User Settings Folder. Hmmm........

JosEPh

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yes. Deeper analysis shows it's trying to load a player with an ID less than 0 and all kinds of whacko stuff. It's clearly a problem with the save/load sequence on PBEM games not liking what we did with the splitting up of the NPCs. I'm really clueless beyond that.

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yeouch...

JosEPh