Promotions and Upgrades

I suppose that a non-Super-Medic Great General Impi could be given the +1 movement promotion that is available to Great Generals, making the Mobility Promotion that came from the Impi useful in all of these intermediary stages, such as a Pikeman with 2-movement points and Mobility, a Rifleman with the same, etc.

If you're playing as Shaka, you might as well do a bit more warring than normal, so using up an extra Great General in this manner isn't totally out of the question.

The Speed 2 Rifleman sounds good.
The downside, is all of the other units built from that city, that could have had +2xp from that GG.
I suppose if I was playing Shaka, and I got alot of GGs, I could make one like this.
He is just not one that I choose often.

The downside, is all of the other units built from that city, that could have had +2xp from that GG.
I suppose if I was playing Shaka, and I got alot of GGs, I could make one like this.

Heheh, me either, though he is a blast. Ironically, both times I started with him I was pumped to have the excuse to spam barracks everywhere in combination with the aggressive trait, then wound up having the placement for a chariot rush instead.:twitch:

Meh, either way the Ikandha rocks.

For a speed 2 Rifleman you'd need Morale. I don't do Shaka that often but I usually make an Impi my Supermedic and then don't upgrade him. I don't want him selected to defend and don't want to attack with him so that keeps the Mobility promo useful.

Farmboy: Ikhanda does indeed rock. A very good UB. No leader gets more out of the Aggressive trait than Shaka.

Your approach sounds good, but I think that you could tweak it slightly here for a better overall gain.

9/10 Experience is pretty solid--it's usually fair to have a unit win one battle themselves for their third promotion, while 11/10 experience can work against you if you plan to upgrade those units, as some of that experience will be thrown away.

So, I'd suggest the following slight changes:
Don't build West Point in your Heroic Epic City. Instead, build West Point in a high-Hammer City where you will plan to later put your Military Academy. This way, your Heroic Epic City can keep on pumping-out units for a lot longer time period, making more effective use out of the Heroic Epic National Wonder.

Also, settle your 5th GG in the City in which you will put West Point and your Military Academy.

That way, after your 6th GG, you will have:
1. Heroic Epic + Barracks + settled 2nd GG + settled 3rd GG + settled 4th GG = 9 Experience for units that come out quite quickly

2. West Point + Military Academy + Barracks + settled 5th GG = 9 Experience for units that come out reasonably quickly

But... I can haz Mil Academy in my HE city and blast out units even quicker still. That multiplication is worth the investment of the build time for WP, IMO. While it's not unit-pumping I usually have a second string military city (my IW city or a capture Cap which usually has settled GMIs) take over.

But... I can haz Mil Academy in my HE city and blast out units even quicker still. That multiplication is worth the investment of the build time for WP, IMO. While it's not unit-pumping I usually have a second string military city (my IW city or a capture Cap which usually has settled GMIs) take over.
Just to be clear, the bonuses are additive, not multiplicative.

So, you will get:
(base Hammers) +
(base Hammers) * [(100% for the Herioc Epic) + (50% for a Military Academy)]

You will NOT get:
[(base Hammers) + (base Hammers) * (100% for the Herioc Epic)] *
(50% for a Military Academy)]

As an example, let's say that your Heroic Epic City makes 24 base Hammers.

You will get additive bonuses:
24 base Hammers +
36 Hammers from having the Heroic Epic and from having a Military Academy =
60 Hammers

You will not get multiplicative bonuses:
48 base Hammers and Hammers from having the Heroic Epic +
24 Hammers from having a Military Academy =
72 Hammers

Thus, there is no advantage to "stacking" bonuses in the same City. If it weren't for overflow capping of Hammers, then there wouldn't be a disadvantage, but due to the way that overflow capping of Hammer works, you can actually greatly lose out by stacking these bonuses in the same City.

What I often find is that even without a Military Academy, my Heroic Epic City will start getting too many Hammers and will start to lose some production due to overflow-capping issues.

In fact, the way that overflowed Hammers are capped, the greater your production bonuses, the less base Hammers that can overflow. So, you can often hurt yourself by stacking too many Hammer-based bonuses in the same City.

Let's look at an overflow-capping example. Let's say that your unit requires 42 Hammers to build. In our Heroic Epic + Military Academy City, we make 60 Hammers per turn.

The way that overflow-capping of Hammers works on paper is that you can have AT MOST an equal number of Hammers as the cost of the build item overflowing. In practice, this value can be CONSIDERABLY LESS.

The reason why the value can be less is the way that the amount of overflow allowed is calculated.

Okay, so on turn 1, you have made 60 Hammers. The unit required 42 Hammers to complete. However, the calcuation isn't a straight-up "60 - 42 = 18 overflow Hammers remaining." If it were, then you could overflow almost as many overflow Hammers as your base Hammer value (18 overflowing from 24 base Hammers) while getting a unit for free. Clearly, the math can't be calculated so simply or else you'd have people abusing overflow from a heavily-bonused build item overflowing into a lower-bonused build item, such as a Wonder without production bonuses (like the Apostolic Palace). I think that you can see how quickly such a situation would lead to massive abuse.

Thus, the math gets a bit tricky and I may not even calculate it exactly, but it goes something like the following:
a) 42 Hammers are needed to complete this build item
b) We make + 150% in bonus Hammers (I'll pretend that you neglected to build a Forge here)
c) So, in order to get 42 Hammers, we are required to use up:
42 / (1 + 1.5) base Hammers =
42 / 2.5 base Hammers =
16.8 base Hammers

The game then says that you can't "spend" a partial Hammer, so it "charges" you 17 Hammers.

d) We had 24 base Hammers to begin with
e) We have used up 17 base Hammers
f) We can overflow a maximum of 24 - 17 = 7 base Hammers

So far, so good. However, next is where it gets tricky

g) To avoid excessive overflow, we'll ensure that overflow is capped at the cost of the build item
h) The build item requires 42 Hammers to build
i) But we are making this many additional Hammers:
7 remaining base Hammers * (1 + 1.5) =
7 * 2.5 =
17.5 Hammers

j) 42 Hammers - 17.5 Hammers is still a positive value
k) Therefore, all 7 base Hammers overflow, as expected

Okay, nothing weird so far.

The next turn, you will make:
7 overflow Hammers + 24 Hammers from production sources = 31 base Hammers

The calculations repeat themselves, such that the game still only needs you to "spend" 16.8 base Hammers and charges you 17 base Hammers.

f2) You are left with 31 - 17 = 14 remaining base Hammers for potential overflow

g2) To avoid excessive overflow, we'll ensure that overflow is capped at the cost of the build item
h2) The build item requires 42 Hammers to build
i2) But we are making this many additional Hammers:
14 remaining base Hammers * (1 + 1.5) =
14 * 2.5 =
35 Hammers

j2) 42 Hammers - 35 Hammers is still a positive value
k2) Therefore, all 14 base Hammers overflow, as expected

Now we get to the next round.

This proceed as before, with you making:
14 overflow Hammers + 24 Hammers from production sources = 38 base Hammers

The calculations repeat themselves, such that the game still only needs you to "spend" 16.8 base Hammers and charges you 17 base Hammers.

f3) You are left with 38 - 17 = 21 remaining base Hammers for potential overflow

g3) To avoid excessive overflow, we'll ensure that overflow is capped at the cost of the build item
h3) The build item requires 42 Hammers to build
i3) But we are making this many additional Hammers:
21 remaining base Hammers * (1 + 1.5) =
21 * 2.5 =
52.5 Hammers

j3) 42 Hammers - 52.5 Hammers is no longer a positive value. We have thus exceeded the overflow cap. Not all 21 of our remaining base Hammers will overflow.
k3) So, how many Hammers will overflow?
42 Hammers for the build item / (1 + 1.5) =
42 / 2.5 =
16.8 Hammers can overflow

But the game does not allow you to carry-over partial Hammers.

So, only 16 Hammers actually overflow.

21 remaining base Hammers - 16 Hammers that can overflow = 5 Hammers lost

Now, those 5 Hammers will potentially get turned into Gold using the overflow function. I think that if you are using BUG + BULL Mods, you'll get 1 Gold for every Hammer. If you aren't using those Mods, I have heard people complain about the amount of Gold being even LESS than 1 Gold per Hammer, due to some bugginess in the way that overflow capping Gold-conversion calculations were changed in BtS 3.19, but I haven't done any testing on the subject myself, so I can't say for certain.

Either way, it SUCKS! Your 1 Hammer was supposed to turn into 2.5 Hammers. Instead, you got a measley 1 Gold for it! That Gold wasn't being used effectively to pump out 2.5 Hammers' worth of Military Units!

And we ran up against this "overflow capping wall" as soon as we'd been building our THIRD UNIT! Surely, you plan to build more than 3 units in your Heroic Epic City.

In fact, the next unit, unless you swap the build order to either a Building (which is again an inefficient use of your Hammers in your Heroic Epic City) or to a higher-priced unit (should you actually have the tech to do so, good for you, but if not, then it sucks)... unless you do so, then when you build the 4th unit, you will be losing even more Hammers to overflow capping. Let's just run the math to see how much...

Well, we were able to overflow 16 Hammers from our 3rd unit, so our 4th unit will have:
16 overflow Hammers + 24 Hammers from production sources = 40 base Hammers

f4) You are left with 40 - 17 = 23 remaining base Hammers for potential overflow

g4) To avoid excessive overflow, we'll ensure that overflow is capped at the cost of the build item
h4) The build item requires 42 Hammers to build
i4) But we are making this many additional Hammers:
23 remaining base Hammers * (1 + 1.5) =
23 * 2.5 =
57.5 Hammers

j4) 42 Hammers - 57.5 Hammers is no longer a positive value. We have thus exceeded the overflow cap. Not all 23 of our remaining base Hammers will overflow.
k4) So, how many Hammers will overflow?
42 Hammers for the build item / (1 + 1.5) =
42 / 2.5 =
16.8 Hammers can overflow

But the game does not allow you to carry-over partial Hammers.

So, only 16 Hammers actually overflow.

23 remaining base Hammers - 16 Hammers that can overflow = 7 Hammers lost

Those 7 Hammers should have been:
7 * (1 + 1.5) =
7 * 2.5 =
17.5 Hammers going into your Military Units

Instead, at best, you will get 7 Gold going into your coffers and you might even get less if BtS isn't calculating that overflow Gold-conversion calculation correctly.

That's a HUGE BLOW to what's supposed to be your Hammer-heavy City "pumping" out units--you might as well not work nearly as many Hammer-based squares in that City, since by working a lot of them, a good portion of your Hammers aren't even being used to create Military Units! What a nightmare!

The best general solution, I have found, is to split up my Military Academies from my Heroic Epic City. Doing so gives two benefits:
A) I can probably build nearly as many units over the course of 10 turns in my Heroic Epic City with or without a Military Academy, meaning that I can get one additional Military Academy City adding Military Units to my empire--essentially I will have nearly the same effective output from my Heroic Epic City (due to losing less Hammers to overflow capping) AND I can get the additional Military Units that the Military Academy City will create during those 10 turns
AND
B) If there IS some overflow capping in my Heroic Epic City, I will actually get to carry-forward MORE overflow Hammers without the Military Academy than with it

To illustrate point b), using our above example on the fourth turn, let's assume that somehow the Military Academy was deleted (say, you removed it using the World Builder or a Hurricane destroyed it--although it's probably not possible to lose this building to a Hurricane, let's just say that it happened):

Well, we were able to overflow 16 Hammers from our 3rd unit, so our 4th unit will have:
16 overflow Hammers + 24 Hammers from production sources = 40 base Hammers

a4ii) 42 Hammers are needed to complete this build item
b4ii) We make + 100% in bonus Hammers (I'll pretend that you neglected to build a Forge here and our Military Academy was destroyed)
c4ii) So, in order to get 42 Hammers, we are required to use up:
42 / (1 + 1) base Hammers =
42 / 2 base Hammers =
21 base Hammers

The game then says that you can't "spend" a partial Hammer, but we don't have partial Hammers here, so it correctly "charges" you precisely 21 Hammers.

f4ii) You are left with 40 - 21 = 19 remaining base Hammers for potential overflow

g4ii) To avoid excessive overflow, we'll ensure that overflow is capped at the cost of the build item
h4ii) The build item requires 42 Hammers to build
i4ii) But we are making this many additional Hammers:
19 remaining base Hammers * (1 + 1) =
19 * 2 =
38 Hammers

j4ii) 42 Hammers - 38 Hammers is still a positive value
k4ii) Therefore, all 19 base Hammers overflow, as expected

In fact, look what happened here. With the Military Academy in the City, we were capped at being allowed to overflow 16 Hammers. Without the Military Academy, we can ACTUALLY ALLOW EVEN MORE HAMMERS to overflow... 19 Hammers successfully overflowed in this case. What's our theoretical maximum overflow?

42 Hammers to build the unit / (1 + 1) =
42 / 2 =
21 Hammers

So, we can overflow as many as 21 Hammers instead of only 16 Hammers before we have to "rebalance" the build items so as not to lose Hammers that should have received Hammer-based bonuses as Gold, which won't receive any bonuses.

Trust me, unless you've got low base production in your Heroic Epic City or have a way to ensure that Military Unit costs are high relative to each turn (such as on Marathon Speed or if you've teched to some really expensive units), you'll be better off in general by separating your Heroic Epic City from your Military Academies. Sure, you could do the math or you could rebalance your build queues, but the general "take away" rule is to separate your Military Academies from your Heroic Epic and to "go home feeling good about your decision." :D

@ Dhoomstriker,
Holy Hammers Batman! If this isn't already posted somewhere in the S&T forum or Articles section it should be! You have certainly helped me to understand the best use of Military Academy with Heroic, but the importance of keeping a closer eye on Military City production modifiers to boot! Straight up awesome post, thanks a million.

GGs don't lose their experience when upgrading. They're the exception to the rule whereby other units do drop back to 10 xp when upgrading.

My pattern of using GGs is:

1st GG: Attach to a unit (preferably a high-XP warrior or similarly ancient unit) for a Super Healer.

2nd, 3rd, 4rth, 5th GGs: Add Great Military Instructors to my full-time late-game unit-pump (Heroic Epic and West Point in the city).

6th GG: Military Academy.

7th and any subsequent GGs: attach to city raid units (usually a city-raid melee destined for upgrade to infantry or mech infantry).

Non-Imperialist leaders without the Great Wall I normally don't see a 7th GG, even in an aggressive conquest strategy, so if such a leader is Charismatic I'll only attach 3 GMIs to the military city before going MA.

Imperialist, hehe... it's like GG spam, which is very nice. I like being Imperialist. :)

That's funny. I'm not nearly as aggressive, and I don't see more than 4 GG's an entire game (personal record was 11, as Ganghis Khan, but average around 3/game).

Top Bottom