Python Performance and Interface Overhaul (PPIO)

I checked, and there shouldn't be any overlapping files.
Well obviously something went wrong. Do a fresh checkout of C2C and then install only Toffer's modmod and see if you have the same problem.

That file doesn't exist, there's only 3 txt-files there; init, resmgr and xml
erm, then the game is crashing real early in the launch process.
Python code starts to print to that log seconds after the splash screen pops up...

Could you do a verify game cache in steam for BtS?
If it doesn't find any missing files, reinstall the game completely, start fresh.

PPIO v0.5.9.7.9.3
SVN rev.10307
  • Performance oriented update.
  • Fixed an error related to caching of data in the revolution mod.

Last edited:
@Toffer90 those red dots from animal NPC units on minimap are annoying (chipotle view of map - ctrl+z).
Can you disable those from showing on minimap?

@Toffer90 those red dots from animal NPC units on minimap are annoying (chipotle view of map - ctrl+z).
They are enemies, thus they show up as such. You'd have to make some kind of animal filter and it's not an advisable place to do that without a lot of delay caused I suspect.

No can do.
Python has no power over what is displayed in the minimap.

PPIO v0.5.9.7.9.4
SVN rev.10309
  • Performance oriented update.
  • Turned on the "Aging Animal" python module, like I did in SVN rev 10308/9.
    • Earlier SVN revisions than 10308/9 will give python errors every turn with this version of PPIO.
    • The errors are harmless but annoying, so I suggest you update your SVN for this PPIO version.
@BackseatTyrant: Have you given up on getting this modmod to work for you?

PPIO v0.5.9.7.9.5
SVN rev.10309
  • Minor performance update.
  • Nothing noteworthy.

Last edited:
@Toffer90 is there way to list wild animals in subdued animal page?
That is there may be some wild animals that will end up giving same subdued animal.

I'm using the latest svn for c2c and installed the ppio v0.5.9.7.9.5 and now my graphics are all messed up! Most notably there are no construction icons of any kind in the city screen.

I'm using the latest svn for c2c and installed the ppio v0.5.9.7.9.5 and now my graphics are all messed up! Most notably there are no construction icons of any kind in the city screen.
You must delete UserSettings files that were generated by C2C before PPIO was installed.
That could be misunderstood... you can do that deletion after PPIO got installed. ^^

I get the attached messages when I do the following:

I generate a map with Custom Game (I have tested PerfectWorld 2f and World map generator). When the game has started I immediately go into WorldBuilder and save the map. With this WorldBuilder map I start a custom scenario and get these messages (no messages when I do the same thing without PPIO and also no messages when I use Play a Scenario). The game seems to run alright and the errors don´t reappear. Are they critical?
(I found this out by trying to create new Space Maps and it wouldn´t be great when a user tries out the new space maps and is welcomed by these error messages).

Added Later: When I remove all the Barbarian/Neanderthal/Green Man entries from the WorldBuilder save then I don´t get the errors. This also seems (?) to have no impact on the game as animals and barbarians appear in the game anyway (haven´t tested long enough to see a Neanderthaler).

And another thing maybe unrelated to PPIO: When I use the same approach (Custom game - WorldBuilder save - Custom Scenario) and I have only selected Time Victory in the Custom Game then both Time and Diplomacy Victory are ticked in the Custom Scenario settings. All the other settings are taken over exactly from the Custom Game.

Map_Creation_Errors.JPG

Last edited:
I get the attached messages when I do the following:

I generate a map with Custom Game (I have tested PerfectWorld 2f and World map generator). When the game has started I immediately go into WorldBuilder and save the map. With this WorldBuilder map I start a custom scenario and get these messages (no messages when I do the same thing without PPIO and also no messages when I use Play a Scenario). The game seems to run alright and the errors don´t reappear. Are they critical?
(I found this out by trying to create new Space Maps and it wouldn´t be great when a user tries out the new space maps and is welcomed by these error messages).

Added Later: When I remove all the Barbarian/Neanderthal/Green Man entries from the WorldBuilder save then I don´t get the errors. This also seems (?) to have no impact on the game as animals and barbarians appear in the game anyway (haven´t tested long enough to see a Neanderthaler).
They are far from critical, though I would like to get rid of those error messages anyway.

Make those errors appear again and see if the pythonErr log gets any content from it, upload the pythonDbg log in any case for me to look at.
And another thing maybe unrelated to PPIO: When I use the same approach (Custom game - WorldBuilder save - Custom Scenario) and I have only selected Time Victory in the Custom Game then both Time and Diplomacy Victory are ticked in the Custom Scenario settings. All the other settings are taken over exactly from the Custom Game.
Probably unrelated to PPIO, I'll investigate it when I get time.

Make those errors appear again and see if the pythonErr log gets any content from it, upload the pythonDbg log in any case for me to look at.
It is easy to get the errors again but I can´t see PythonErr.log or pythonDbg log anywhere. In fact I have searched through all my HDDs if they are hidden somewhere but I couldn´t find them.
I guess the PythonErr2.log doesn´t help but I have attached it anyway.

Attachments

• PythonErr2.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 17
It is easy to get the errors again but I can´t see PythonErr.log or pythonDbg log anywhere. In fact I have searched through all my HDDs if they are hidden somewhere but I couldn´t find them.
I guess the PythonErr2.log doesn´t help but I have attached it anyway.
You will have to enable logging in the civIV .ini file for those files to be created.
%UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini

PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log are in the same folder as the useless PythonErr2.log file.

Has the icon for the unit and city banner's been altered in the PPIO?

I'm running SVN 10320, PPIO "5.9.7.9.5 in a". If I start a game without PPIO installed, the banner icon is normal size. If I delete UserSettings, install PPIO, and start another game, the icons are much larger

It makes it hard to judge what tiles have what units. This problem isn't quite obvious on the screenshot here since there are so few units, but when all visible tiles have barbs/animals/predators it is hard to distinguish which unit/type is on which tile.

Normal/small Icons:
c2csmallicon.png
Large Icons:
c2clargeicon.png

Has the icon for the unit and city banner's been altered in the PPIO?

I'm running SVN 10320, PPIO "5.9.7.9.5 in a". If I start a game without PPIO installed, the banner icon is normal size. If I delete UserSettings, install PPIO, and start another game, the icons are much larger

It makes it hard to judge what tiles have what units. This problem isn't quite obvious on the screenshot here since there are so few units, but when all visible tiles have barbs/animals/predators it is hard to distinguish which unit/type is on which tile.
They have been altered, I may tone it down a bit more. It's mostly something one gets used to though, getting a feel for what plot a flag belongs to I mean.
The bigger flags make it easier to not overlook hostile units that come creeping, and it's nice to see clearly the design on the flag too.

I admit it is easier to see the designs now - indeed, I had no idea that the 'wildlife' flag was a deer, or that the 'predator' flag was a scratch of claws.

I will do as you say and try to get used to them. On the other hand, is this something I might be able to modify through a file text file (even if it is xml or similar), or is it compiled and not legible to humans?

The code leaves no room for this to be an option in the map or scenario design.

Top Bottom