Question about Religious Victory through converting Holy Cities

Wyvern_Parade

Warlord
Let me preface this with the fact that I almost never go for Religious Victories, so I'm still not too sure about the mechanics.

As far as I know you can win by converting 50% of all civs' cities to your religion. Also, you can win by converting all the other Holy Cities in the game, right?

In the latter case, do all possible religions need to be founded before this victory will take effect? For example, Let's say I am playing a Small map, which can have a maximum of 4 religions, but only 2 have been founded. If I convert the other player's Holy City before any other religions are founded will I win? Or do I have to wait until ALL 4 religions are founded and convert all the Holy Cities?

As far as I know, in an unmodded game the only condition for religious victory is to have the majority of cities in every civilization following your religion (and a city is converted when more than 50% of the city's citizens follow a given religion). The number of founded religions and converting holy cities do not matter from a formal point of view.

I thought so as well, but recently I played a game with friends where a religious victory was triggered the exact turn that the last Holy City was converted. I don't have the save, but I'm almost positive that not all civs were converted to the winner's religion at that point.

I could be remembering incorrectly and it just happens that the last Holy City put him over the threshold for 50% with all civs. But I would like clarification on this one way or another if anyone knows for sure.

Edit: No mods were in play

I don't play many RVs but yesterday I did and I saw something similar. I seemed to have more than half of every Civs cities converted but the turn after I converted Meroe the victory triggered. I wasn't paying close attention because I knew there were at least two more cities obscured by fog.

Top Bottom