Questions & Answers

That's it! I need meditation to build monasteries. Thanks!

Can I win a UHV, continue playing, take over another civ as they spawn, and still win their UHV in the same game?

Of course, you're right, it was Meditation. Most civs don't start with it; I don't know why. I don't think more than one victory is possible in a single game.

That's it! I need meditation to build monasteries. Thanks!

Can I win a UHV, continue playing, take over another civ as they spawn, and still win their UHV in the same game?

You can play on, but only your first UHV victory will count.

What determines how much gold a great merchant trade mission will make me and how can I use this to my advantage to maximize the gold I get?

Depends on the distance of the city from your capital (better if on a different continent), what infrastructure is in it (e.g. markets, grocers, etc) that would increase the trade profit between that city and yours. So a mission to a civ you've traded for a long time and at peace will be more profitable.

See this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=327991

For Rhye's next patch of RFC, I think one thing that should be implemented is the desertification of the Sahara, as in at 8000 BC let a greater portion of the Sahara be grassland and then at a later date let the desert start to reclaim all the grassland spots, so by the time Arabia comes it will be the normal Sahara desert. This can be created through the same way that, the mountain pass between the Inca and the rest of South America is created when the Europeans come is created.

For Rhye's next patch of RFC, I think one thing that should be implemented is the desertification of the Sahara, as in at 8000 BC let a greater portion of the Sahara be grassland and then at a later date let the desert start to reclaim all the grassland spots, so by the time Arabia comes it will be the normal Sahara desert. This can be created through the same way that, the mountain pass between the Inca and the rest of South America is created when the Europeans come is created.

Good idea. I wish I knew more about it so I could implement it.

Are there any other major environmental changes we're missing in the mod?

While it would be a nice sight, what would be the point? Carthage isn't going to settle to Sahara and neither are other civs before it's degraded to what it is now. Also, I think you mean "800 BC". Which is right around when Carthage comes to play anyway.

Actually I mean 8000 BC, because we have to remember that the Sahara was not a desert but instead grazing land, which soon turned more and more into desert. the point is first and foremost for historical reasons, and second I don't think Carthage needs a bit of a breather, in the sense that more workable tiles next to it could help Carthage (since desert tiles cannot be worked on), the same for Egypt where I still feel there is too much desert.

I can't think of anything of the top of my head, but the biggest one is probably snow capped Russia, I think more trees and ice/snow should be there and then later on (due to global warming) have the ice and snow be pushed up north and let more grazing land for Russian and Mongolian civs. Another one which I think is quite necessary is the need for more arable land in the Middle East, especially the Mesopotamian region, where did the "Fertile Crescent" go? Now you have the cities of Jerusalem and Sur/Tyre fighting for food when this was supposed to be the most agriculturally reach region. In fact I think that even when the Arabs are you should still have it but then half way through there empire maybe 1200 AD (something like that i'm not sure) you should have the arable land turn into desert, which would then lead to the steady decline of the Arabian Empire, which is VERY historically correct. I think the same for Europe but instead have a type of forest that you can't build improvements on (like RFC Europe) but then once you research a type of technology these forest tiles become workable, then leading Europe for there golden age.

What place would the 8000 BC change have in the mod if it starts in 3000 BC?

I agree about Jerusalem and Tyre being a little more managable, though. I want a Damascus worth something.

What place would the 8000 BC change have in the mod if it starts in 3000 BC?

I agree about Jerusalem and Tyre being a little more manageable, though. I want a Damascus worth something.

OOPS! sorry you are 100% correct, same thing 3000 BC it doesn't make a difference, and yes I would also like to see Damascus but in order for that you need to raze Jerusalem which is quite stupid, but I would like to see Jerusalem become a big city during the medieval ages and then when desertification happens in the Middle East I want to see the go under, in the sense that whoever is controlling the region will be greatly weakened (most probably Arabia, which is historically accurate).

Good idea. I wish I knew more about it so I could implement it.

Are there any other major environmental changes we're missing in the mod?

Yes, the freezing of Greenland (which has been brought up before). Around 1000AD there was some grassland in Greenland but this had been frozen over with the spread of the Greenland Ice Cap a few hundred years later.

If the medieval warm period were to be fully represented, the wine in France would have to be moved to England until the start of the Little Ice Age. Russia's UP would be non-functional until that time as well. All of this is due to the higher temperature (higher than even the temperature today).

If the medieval warm period were to be fully represented, the wine in France would have to be moved to England until the start of the Little Ice Age. Russia's UP would be non-functional until that time as well. All of this is due to the higher temperature (higher than even the temperature today).

it doesn't have to be that complicated. All you have to do is cover a lot of productive/food tiles with a new tile "dense forest", dense forest have maybe 1 production or nothing and they cannot be cut down, what this will do is that it will limit the power of Europe until the Renaissance period or until someone researches some technology that allows you to cut down the "dense forest" tile and improve it. But then all the fertile plains of the Middle East will turn to desert and will slowly decrease the strength of the Arabian Empire. I think this has a lot of potential as we will see a much more historical approach to the game, environmentally wise. So if someone could code this into the game that would be fantastic, not to mention I already know that its possible since the Andes mountains disappears to form an entrance for the Europeans into the Inca homeland.

And no wine never grew very well in England in the Medieval period, or at any period, since it was only introduced well into the Middle Ages.

What about North Africa being the 'granary' of the Roman Empire? the over farming caused desertification of North Africa, should Carthage have 'better' tiles?

What about North Africa being the 'granary' of the Roman Empire? the over farming caused desertification of North Africa, should Carthage have 'better' tiles?

You are absoulty right, and thats why I propose more workable tiles in morroco and pretty much North west africa until the Arabian civ spawns (or earlier) then it should reverted back to desert.

All I'm saying is that it dosn't have to be THAT complicated that we have to start moving around resources just add and remove desert/plains/desnse forest. Its the easiest thing to mod:)

To the best of my knowledge Anatolia and Egypt were the breadbaskets of the Roman Empire (as well as every other empire which held them), not North Africa.

I think a decent number of the tiles in the levant and anatolia should be changed from plains to grassland to represent the relative fertility in those lands.

Also the fertile crescent isn't quite as fertile as the name implies-- even in the days of Babylon and Assyria it was nothing compared to Egypt, and by the common era soil depletion had weakened the agricultural potential of the land quite a bit.

To the best of my knowledge Anatolia and Egypt were the breadbaskets of the Roman Empire (as well as every other empire which held them), not North Africa.

A quick google search for "breadbasket of Rome" revealed quite a few basket cases. ;)

Sicily, North Africa and Egypt all got multiple mentions.

Personally, I think that some of the references to North Africa actually might be taken to mean Egypt more than the area around Carthage.

Top Bottom