1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Jivilov

Jivilov Prince

Really. Swordsmen are about the most useless unit in the Ancient era, if not the game. Even Praets have problems against Axes.

2. Strong Reaction

Strong Reaction Chieftain

bump....

3. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Honestly, I don't know. I play on 1024Xsomething, which is IIRC the lowest resolution the game offers, because I can't stand how all the advisor screens don't take up the entire screen otherwise.

4. Strong Reaction

I just figure if Civ3 can run it at 1920 x 1080 resolution then Civ4 can too. In Civ3 you can add a line in the ini "Keep Res 1" and it keeps your native res settings. I tried adding that line here, but no luck.

You can manually add the preferred resolution in the Civ4 ini , but its still disproportionate i.e. every thing is stretched.

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

The game will run at 1920 x 1080 just fine, however it does alter the menus and splash screens at the beginning of the game. It can't be helped. They were made for smaller screens.

However in game, everything is fine. No stretching, even on leaderhead screens.

It's just something we have to put up with, unfortunately.

6. Strong Reaction

I assumed the game would be stretched out since the splash screen and main screen are. I did try the game in 1920 x 1080 and it seems to be fine, but if you look at the resource display they are oval as opposed to circular and everything else is slightly disproportionate (could be my graphics setting: though I set it to "maintain aspect ratio". Your right the leader head screens are proportionate.

Not a game breaker though...

7. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

I am playing it at 1920x1080, and the game doesn't seem stretched out at all for me? Look at the pictures of my story, in my signature, for reference.

8. Strong Reaction

I imagine,that means I can get it to works somehow. What are your settings & system specs?

9. Strong Reaction

Can the player stockpile production for later use say to save/switch to building a wonder like in previous civ versions?

10. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

No.

However excess production (up to amount needed for the building just completed) is carried over to the next build. One strategy is to convert food into hammers by two pop whipping such that most of 2nd pop (30 hammers) goes into next building.
    Example: turn 1, put 4 hammers into 35 hammer axeman; turn 2, whip him for two population and 29 (plus production) hammers carry over to next unit/building.

Also, if you switch production, invested hammers are retained in partially completed building. Hammers in units will eventually decay over time. If another civ completes a Wonder you had started, then you are paid gold for your investment.

11. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

One thing to add - if you whip or chop hammers while building Wealth, Research, or Culture, the hammers gained by whip or chop will be stored until you change production to a unit or building.

migalhone likes this.
  12. Deckhand

Thanks.
    Except in Vanilla. In vanilla if you chop with nothing in production, the chop is lost. So in vanilla, you need to go thru your cities and assign production at the start of the turn (instead of the end when I usually do it) (of course this only matter if you are chopping nearby).

13. Strong Reaction

So you can, in that instance stockpile production to a certain extent and when your ready, add it to a wonder. Its all dependent on chopping forest and whipping pop. I imagine there aren't many forest tiles left in the latter era's and by mid game you've probably switch to another civic other than slavery.

And this doesn't apply in vanilla, but in warlords and bts?

And if I understand correctly if I was building a library then switched to a wonder, the production would be in stasis for the library until I either cancelled it or the wonder was built?

14. Deckhand

some replies:

15. Strong Reaction

Great! Thanks for all the info its really helpful.

16. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

These are my in-game graphics settings.

As for my PC, I'm not sure what you want to know, but here is something:

GPU: ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3,2 GHz (3,4 GHz Turbo Boost) 1150
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/EU
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14, 1 TB
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3
    Memory: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
    Operation system: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

17. Strong Reaction

I was thinking of the nvidia control panel settings, but im not sure that would help any way. I think it has to do with screen size. I have a 23" screen and I going to guess yours is larger. 1920 x 1080 is the native for me. I think if it supported higher resolutions it would be able to run without being distorted. That's just a guess though.

18. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Pretty much. Although many people will run slavery into the mid and late game (not usually to build wonders with, though).

Unless you continue building the library, production will be in stasis not until you cancel it, but FOREVER. Even if you take the library out of the queue, the hammers will still be there (subject to decay, though) if at some point you add it back to the queue. If you never build the library, the hammers will decay to 0 or eventually be wasted.

19. Strong Reaction

If under the game settings, I turn off Diplomatic Victories, does make it impossible to build the U.N.?

20. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

That's right. You can't build the UN with diplo victory turned off.