1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Strong Reaction

Strong Reaction Chieftain

Great! Me no likey this iteration of the U.N. in Civ!:crazyeye:

2. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

And (if you're playin BtS), you can't build the AP either.

3. Strong Reaction

Foreign Advisor Screen: I am not really understanding the meaning of the colored lines. Particularly the white: contact and blue: vassal. I have a blue line going to a civ but I have contact with them. they have a blue vassal line going to me but I am not their vassal.

4. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

When you say blue you mean cyan (vassal) and not the blue (defensive pact), right?

If you are a master of a civ there will be a cyan line between you and the vassal. Maybe you mistake some line? Take this example
    Spoiler :

The cyan-colored line between Saladin and Hannibal has nothing to do with Wan Kong. If it's a bit messy you can click on the leader to only show their lines and not everyones. This will also allow you to see the diplo modifiers between AIs.

5. jbxx

jbxx Chieftain

Downloaded bugmod 4.4 and somehow screwed up my BTS game. Cannot see city screens, city build list look into city info, ALT+CTRL+O not working, no tech tree etc. etc.. Obviously did something wrong on installing bugmod. Should I uninstall BTS and Bugmod and reload?
    Any advice appreciated.

6. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I think you have some conflict between mods. Any other mods active? Did you install BUG in custom assets?

7. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Are you on a Mac? There's one line that needs to be deleted on a Mac to get it to work.

8. Strong Reaction

Cyan=vassal got it, I am not talking about defensive pacts. Here is a screen to show you. I looked at your example, and yes the cyan line from the extreme left to extreme right was confusing me i.e. "line between Saladin and Hannibal". I does look like it is directed to the player.

However look at my screen: it seems as if I am a vassal of Mansa Musa, but I am not. Additionally, neither are the other civs vassals of Mansa Musa with cyan lines from him to them.

Spoiler :

9. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

The lines in your screen shot look like green lines on my monitor, which means "open borders".

10. Strong Reaction

Maybe I am color blind it looks bluish to me and cyan is the lighter blue, but your right. the color of the "open borders" matches the lines on the screen shot.

11. jbxx

jbxx Chieftain

When asked for a directory I selected Libraries>Document>My Games>BTS
    my folders are:
    assets
    BUG Mod
    CustomAssets
    CustomAssets-Bug-4.4 (to disable and make BTS playable).

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Usually what you describe (up above) is a conflict with a mod. However, it's possible it's something else.

I don't think you need to reinstall BTS yet. BUG would only conflict with stand-alone mods if the BUG custom assets is active. (Stand-alone being mods installed in the BTS>mods folder in the root and otherwise having to load separately)

I would try the following steps:

1) Delete both custom assets folders (no harm in doing so)
    2) Load BTS normal once (create new vanilla custome assets folder)>exit BTS
    3) save off a copy of the fresh custom assets folder (put "van" at the end or something)
    4) Install Single-Player (CA) version of BUG
    5) Copy off custom assets again (this time naming like you did before ..like "bug" at the end or something)
    6) normal CA folder should have BUG in it now so try running the game. Do not load any stand-alone mods. Just run BTS normally and BUG will be active since it is in custom assets.

Note: You can also add BULL as well. Has separate DLL but you can create copy of both vanilla and bull dll to switch back and forth.

Note2: BAT mod is great and has everything so I recommend you install that as well. Although stand-alone it will not conflict with BUG mod in custom assets, or BULL either, but the dll may conflict it, but that is easy enough.

Note3: Blue Marble can also be added. It installs in custom assets. Doesn't matter which one as it pretty much does not conflict with anything

Note4: Other than what I outlined for you above, don't make any changes to file or folder unless you know what you are doing, i.e., moving things around, copying stuff, etc.

13. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

BUG should not conflict with mods that are configured properly. At least I have no trouble with them. You have to make sure that the following line is like this somewhere in the mod's .ini file:

Code:
    ; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
    NoCustomAssets = 1
    If that line is not in the .ini file, the mod will try to load from Custom Assets and BUG will then bork your mod. The standard BTS .ini file does not need that line because you WANT BUG to load with vanilla BTS.

Also, a note to Lymond's Note 2:

The BAT Mod will not conflict with BUG when BUG is loaded into Custom Assets. It's set to ignore Custom Assets like the above example. The DLL's won't even conflict if you have BULL properly installed in BUG.

14. Bamboocha

Bamboocha Warlord

Today I bought Civ IV complete in the steam sale and I'm installing it all right now. Two questions:
    1. Which are the essential Civ IV mods? I want something that enhances vanilla rather than replacing or revamping it.
    2. Is the "doomstack" phenomenon really as bad as people say it is? I only have experience with the 1 unit per tile mechanic of Civ V. And if it really is so bad, is there a mod that fixes it (perhaps also introducing a 1 unit per tile mechanic, which I imagine isn't too hard to program)?

EDIT: A tutorial recommendation would be nice too. I'm coming in from Civ V and never played Civ IV before.

15. salty mud

salty mud Deity

My must have mod is the BUG mod. It improves the interface and graphics 100-fold, by giving you so much more easily accessible information and giving civilisations unique looking units. It doesn't affect game play in any way but most people here would deem it essential.

As for doomstacks, for me they aren't a big deal. Not ideal, but certainly better than having your army spread out across the whole continent. I'm not aware of any mods that "fix" the stacking mechanic - I'm not sure if that's possible. My suggestion is to play it for yourself first, see how you feel and then make up your own mind.

Regards

16. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

1. BUG mod is exactly what you want. If you are a masochist, Kmod for vastly improved AI could be your thing too.
    2. Depends, how bad do people say it is? I think the Realism Invictus mod (or was it A new Dawn?) has a setting where you can set an upper limit for the allowed number of units on the same tile, all the way to just 1, but whichever mod that was in it's one that completely revamps the entire game. For now just get a feel for the unmodded (except BUG, but that one only improves the interface without changing any mechanics) gameplay, you can always look for mods to improve your experience later.

If you just start Civ4 Vanilla without Warlords or Beyond the Sword, it has a tutorial where Sid Meier himself instructs you.

If you want, we could play a game together as a team and I could be your mentor. However, since Gamespy no longer exists and I don't have the Steam version of Civ4 I would have to look into how to set a game up between us, and it might require you to download third party software.

17. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Just note that you can only use BUG with BtS. The Sid Meier tutorial is good for teaching the base mechanics of the game, but the strategy suggestions are sub-optimal.

18. nate46

nate46 Warlord

You wouldn't want to play it if it did exist. Its important to understand that "stacks of doom" are an essential mechanic of the game. Its the way AIs (or you) win conquest victories. It wouldn't play right without them. Its not something that is broken.

To explain:

There are several strategics aspects to Civ IV. Military tactics is only one aspect, and it cannot win you the game just by itself. Stacks of doom serve the essential function of being a "Lose condition." If you run into a stack of doom that you can't deal with, you lose. It's that simple.

Anyway, Civ IV has several strategic elements:

1) Overall plan and strategy -- Determine what the best strategy is for winning the current game, including contingency plans if your plan fails. Determine whether you want to win by culture, space, conquest/domination, or diplomatically, and what units/wonders/buildings/technologies you will need to achieve this type of win, and how to deal with the AIs and prevent them from winning.

2) Empire building -- Build the most productive empire possible. This requires min/maxing, especially on higher difficulties where the AI has built in handicap advantages.

3) The tech race -- Tech as fast as you can towards the technologies you need to win the game according to your chosen strategy. This involves focusing your empire on commerce and on strategic use of great people to "bulb" the correct technologies, as well as clever tech trading with the AIs. It can also involve espionage to steal technologies from the AIs, if you chose to focus on espionage.

4) The diplomatic game. In civ IV, the AIs roleplay as their chosen leader. You have to know what each AI wants, and keep good relations with them, or they might attack you. They all have their own personalities. If you can get them to friendly, they won't declare war on you, but it is difficult to maintain friendly relations with everyone, so you need a plan to deal with the AIs who are not friendly or at least pleased. You may be asked to join a war, and you'll get a diplomatic penalty if you don't, so choose your sides carefully. Specific AIs will never declare war on you when you are pleased with them, and some are bigger warmongers than others, so you have to have knowledge of what each AI wants and plan your strategy accordingly.

5) Finally -- the military tactics game. If you get into a war, you need to make better use of your units than the AI does. Good military tactics will allow you to win wars even at a production disadvantage and a unit disadvantage. However, this can only help you so much... which is the point of stacks of doom...

Stacks of doom are what happens when you completely fail at every strategic aspect of the game other than military tactics, to an extent that military tactics are not going to ever bail you out. Its just going through the motions of how you lose. Its not the only way the game does this: if you fall too far behind, an out of control AI might win by culture or launch a spaceship rather than going for a conquest victory.

Basically, if you see a stack of doom headed your way, think about how you could have done better this game, and go ahead and restart, since you've lost! If you had done better in the tech race, maybe you could have nuked that stack of doom. If you had focused on better empire building and production, maybe you could have conquered the world 300 years ago, or at least substantially weakened the AI that is now kicking your ass. If you had done better diplomatically and befriended this AI, that stack of doom might be headed for someone else. Maybe you could have already won a cultural victory if you had min/maxed your culture better. There's any number of things you could have done to avoid this problem. So if you see a stack of doom at some point (most new players will encounter this eventually), don't blame the game. Its not the game's fault you lost!

19. salty mud

salty mud Deity

"The Vedic Aryans have risen!"

20. Bamboocha

Bamboocha Warlord

Another newbie related question (though also kind of related to doomstacks). I started a game as Hannibal, I shared a border with China (Qi, not Mao) and attacked almost instantly with 3 archers and one warrior (admittedly each on a separate tile, going for what I assumed was an easy victory against their second city (and who knows, marching on their capital after that and taking a competitor out of the game quickly). Yet the garrisson (a stack of two) somehow managed to defeat all of my guys. It was like the RNG was conspiring against me.

So I build up my forces and send them on the offensive, but to no avail. Suddenly, China has a stack of 8+ with warriors and China's unique axeman replacement and they're out for blood. I could throw up my hands and say the RNG screwed me over, but I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. I just don't know what. Other than not stacking my troops, of course.