1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Quick and dirty advice:

Build between 1 and 1.5 workers per city
    Settle each city with a food resource in the first ring of tiles around the city square
    Beeline Bronze Working, revolt to slavery. Whenever you have citizens working unimproved tiles, use them to rush improvements.
    Chop your forests for granaries, workers, settlers.
    Build granaries in every city, forges in almost every city. Build libraries in your capital and in 1-2 other high commerce cities. Build barracks in 1-2 of your high production cities that will build units. Don't build other improvements anywhere except in your capital (and not even there, in most cases).

SS-18 ICBM likes this.
  2. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

Hi, I downloaded the huge 440x200 Earth map file (BTS) - and I want to play a custom game rather than a custom scenario. Where do I copy the map file to in the filesystem in order to play it as a custom game please?

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Should be the Public Maps folder in the BTS root ..unless maybe playing a mod. If it is a .py file.

4. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

I tried that but it doesn't show up in Custom Game, only Custom Scenario... it's a .CivBeyondSwordWBSave

5. lymond

Yeah..that's cause it's a WB save. You need a PY file. Not sure where you found that map but I'd check to see if they have an actual map file for it. Or see if one can be created from a wb save...I'm not sure as I don't know how to create PY files.

Yeah..I saw the map over in C&C where you posted. I asked for PY file. However, the creator hasn't posted on the forum in about a year, so not sure if he's still around. Maybe some one else will answer.

Appears that "Pre-Made Maps" subforum contains mostly scenario maps, while the "Map Scripts" subforum contains PY files.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    LGWolf likes this.
  6. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

Okay thanks, but where do you copy the PY files to to play them?

7. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

I found you need to save them to My Documents : My Games : beyond the sword : Public Maps / TransferredMaps

8. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

This thread claims the app notepad++ can directly convert it to .py:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/converting-a-worldbuilder-save-to-a-py-file.302546/

Update: Doesn't work: It just created a huge map with grass everywhere, no earth

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. lymond

Yeah..hopefully you can get someone over in c&c to help you convert to PY.
    Never heard of that location. PY files go in BTS root > public maps

10. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

You can't. You need a Map Script, not just a Map. The file you downloaded is only a custom scenario, because it is a single map file. A map script generates a map from Python code, hence the .py file type. Custom games use map scripts to generate map files.

If you want a map script that generates an Earth-like map then I suggest the Earth3 script: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/map-script-earth3.253927/

Note that running the 440x200 map will be taxing on your CPU and prone to memory allocation issues, ie game crashing, once the game advances some time.

11. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

Anyone know a mirror for that Earth3 script? Or am I just not seeing it? The DL link on that page leads to 404.

12. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

@ArchGhost

I don't know where to get the Earth3 script, but as I posted in another thread recently, the SmartMap script includes an “Earth” maptype that you can customize the size of. (Caveat: The landforms are shaped like the continents on Earth, but the terrain is random.... but then again, Earth3 looks that way, too).

LoR includes the SmartMap script - I'm not sure about other mods, off the top of my head.

FYI, Maximum map size is 512x512 which my computer wouldn’t even generate. 280x200 gets pretty unstable (MAF every couple of turns) on my machine around the halfway mark.